Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:55:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dad has Parkinson's ...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dad has Parkinson's ...  (Read 1402 times)
graysev1
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

He's had it for over 14 years. The doctors are now saying we have to move to a first floor apartment.  I have been searching for three months.  From the porch to the living room is a total of 18 very steep steps.  Can't  do them anymore, homebound.  Easy to fix, get a new apartment...  WRONG!!!   Finding a first floor apartment is harder than it looks. Finally find one you can afford on social security and guess what... the landlord hears the word wheelchair.  Suddenly, the previous tenant is staying put, it's already been rented, excuses,excuses.   Now, we find a second apartment, don't say the word wheelchair.  Oops, accidently comes out.  Same thing different landlord.  Third time comes around, don't say anything about wheelchair. Has four steps, but I have a ramp to use.  Now, I tell the landlord that this is a medically necessary move and we need to move asap. Apartment available Sept. 15th.  Get scared that we will be turned down once again.   Do something drastic, send the landlord the security deposit and tell him to send the check back if he doesn't want to rent to us or cash it and let me sign the lease.   Desperate times call for desperate measures.   Low income housing, all full,  all senior housing full.  Put on waiting list.   Praying this time it will work.    Anyone else have any problems like this?

graysev1
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »

Theresa (graysev/graysev1) has 99% of the apartment packed up with no place to go.  Dad and I were just talking about the heat/electric bill, phone bill, etc.  Going to be a big change. Where we live now, all utilities are included except the phone.  Looked at a nice place, all on one floor, then laughed and said no thank you when the rent was discussed.  Who can afford $2400 a month plus utilities?  We sure can't.  Trying to get dad out of here is my main focus these days. I had a bit of time earlier today and decided to go through the different threads posted on the board.  I saw one that sparked dad's memory.  Johnny Cash!  While dad's short term memory can be challenging at times, his long term memory is as sharp as a whip.  He remembers back when to one particular concert that had he, mom, her sister and I sitting in the front row just a few feet from the stage.  Never forget that night, bummer that others were able to shake his hand before he left the stage. People rushed the stage before we could get up and my aunt never forgot that she almost was able to touch his shoe.   Things like that bring a smile to dad's face.  He's 80 and still has time to live and enjoy life as much as he can and I'm doing everything I can do to see to it.  That's why I like this forum, I can relax and read some of the posts and maybe join in now and then.   Thanks for letting me shoot my mouth off here. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »

@graysev1 - are you graysev? Or is graysev a relative of yours?

Very sorry to hear all this that you and your family are going through. Sometimes, it feels like when it rains it pours, eh?
God has His own plans for exactly when/how things are going to work out for each individual.  Gotta keep the faith, and it always works out in the end. Sometimes, it just takes takes time, but everything ALWAYS works out.
Sounds like you're a very caring child, and your Dad's lucky to have you. You're there for each other and that's what matters. Hang in there.  Wink  And in the meantime, shoot your mouth off and keep checking out John Reid's dioramas; seems like that's the best sort of therapy for you  Wink

very best,

d&d  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:06:51 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
graysev1
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »

Thanks for the kind message.  It helps a lot!    On my old computer, I was graysev, but on my new computer, I'm graysev1.  Sorry for the mix-up.  The new IPO wasn't recognized when I tried to log in as graysev so I had to start over as graysev1.   Believe me d&d, I've been doing a lot of praying, crying,praying and begging.  Thanks again for the kind words.

graysev1
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »

Great news!  We were just offered a first floor apartment with NO steps!   If things work out, we'll be moving Oct. 1st or shortly after.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. At least it looks like a small silver lining's coming your way.

Saturday nights with Groggy
graysev1
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:05:20 PM »

I certainly hope so.  Been rough on both of us.  GOD willing, we'll have better days.

graysev1
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

Waunakee, Wis.  here we come!!!!!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM