Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:55:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Remastered version by 20th Century Fox coming in 2014
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remastered version by 20th Century Fox coming in 2014  (Read 21941 times)
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »

I bought the BD and can live with it. That is: only after adjusting my Samsung flat screen. For instance I usually watch BD's with 'warm 2' because many BD's have less warm colors than DVD's. With GBU it is the other way around. But with the setting  'cold' or 'natural' it looks OK. Tomorrow I'll play with the colors as well, maybe I can enhance it furthermore.
It doesn't look my 35mm IB Tech stuff from 1967, but I'm quite happy I finally have the last film of my Top 15 on BD. (except for the damn re-dubbed shots that still take me out of the film for a second here and there..).

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »

This week, until July 12, the new Man With No Name trilogy (including the new GBU mastering) is only $18.49 at amazon. Drink, are you paying attention? http://www.amazon.com/With-Trilogy-Remastered-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00HZN8TBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404754078&sr=8-1&keywords=the+man+with+no+name+trilogy+4k

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »

If they hadn't redubbed those shots, they have had to use the Italian audio with English subtitles - that would be less jarring for you? IMO, it was a good idea that they re-dubbed it, especially cuz Wallach and Eastwood were able to do it.
My only big problem with the dubbing is the sequences with Aldo Guiffre. (i may have mentioned this elsewhere; if i did i apologize for the repeat.) He is only in one extended sequence, and part of it was cut on initial release and therefore re-dubbed in 2003 with a different voice actor, and that voice actor sounds very different than the one who dubbed Guiffre's scenes in 1967. So one second you hear him speak in one voice, and the next second in another, very different voice.
I know this may sound blasphemous to some, but I think that maybe they should have re-duubbed all of Guiffre's scenes in 2003 with a single voice actor. The reason I don't think this is so blasphemous is that the Iitalian Guiffre's 1967 English "voice" is of course dubbed by a voice actor anyway; so it's not really an "auuthentic" Guiffre anyway - unless Leone himself chose and supervised the duubbing of all supporting actors. But since Leone didn't speak much English and Guiffre wasn't one of the main characters, I wonder if maybe he just let some assistant choose the American voice actor and supervise the dubbing. If that is the case, would it be that wrong to re-dub all Guiffre's dialogue with one voice actor? Of course, the original should always be available as an option; i am always in favor of giving options Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »

(except for the damn re-dubbed shots that still take me out of the film for a second here and there..).

Why not watch/hear the German version?

I never watched it in English.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »

If they hadn't redubbed those shots, they have had to use the Italian audio with English subtitles - that would be less jarring for you?

That's ok for me. I watch many films that way. I prefer it to a dub which does not fit with the original version. And Eastwood's and Wallach's voices sound in the English version more different from their 67-voices than the guy who spoke Lee van.

And I watch Italian westerns often in Italian with German subs anyway (if these are translated from Italian).

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »

the italian version with english subtitles is slightly different from the dubbed version.

In the LVC Fort scene the captain is dubbed saying 'drifters' whereas the subtitles says 'draft dodgers'

Also the word 'sod' appears in the subtitles but not in the dub.

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »

It doesn't look my 35mm IB Tech stuff from 1967...

What is this "stuff" you speak of?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »

http://youtu.be/qMrZBXMGDbU

This brand new italian trailer for the re-release of gbu from the Leone film group looks nothing like the new mgm bluray...in fact I think it looks different from the mondo disc too.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:55:10 PM by Jordan Krug » Logged
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:06 AM »

Why not watch/hear the German version?

I never watched it in English.

Really? I never watched in German again since my first US VHS from the mid-80s. No, I'm lying, I forgot the 35mm screenings.
Tuco & Sentenza's voice are great but Gert Günther Hoffmann (for Connery & Rock Hudson he was perfect) as Eastwood
is not that perfect I feel.  Besides I like up-mixed sound, I play those kind of films veeery loud. Sounds so much better than
those old 40-60 years old mono-tracks.
But changing sound effects is a no-go. (why would they have to use the Italian soundtrack ?? Of course one could use the old
Italian gun effects. They sound less perfect for a re-mix and less modern, but so much cooler. Anyway, I started my birthday
yesterday with a screening of the new 4k BD and had a great time. After adjusting my Samsung of course. Not many buyers / viewers
will do this and I feel sorry for them regarding the terrible 'yellow - look'. So far I have 200 BD's and only TWO need a serious
change in color setting before screening. The other one is the Italian GIU LA TESTA.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 07:51:55 AM »

Haha the same guy dubbed Rock Hudson and Sean Connery? Is that a misprint? Or did you actually say Rock Hudson and Sean Connery?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »

http://youtu.be/qMrZBXMGDbU

This brand new italian trailer for the re-release of gbu from the Leone film group looks nothing like the new mgm bluray...in fact I think it looks different from the mondo disc too.

Here is a quick and dirty comparison between the mgm 2014 blu, the italian mondo blu, and the new trailer released by the Leone film group. The footage from the Leone film Group trailer looks slightly different from the mondo release. Of course the MGM just looks terrible every time you compare a shot with blue sky!

https://imageshack.com/i/nflnpwdj

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »

Haha the same guy dubbed Rock Hudson and Sean Connery? Is that a misprint? Or did you actually say Rock Hudson and Sean Connery?

That's not a problem. At least not for me. He sounds different if the actors are that different.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

Here is a quick and dirty comparison between the mgm 2014 blu, the italian mondo blu, and the new trailer released by the Leone film group. The footage from the Leone film Group trailer looks slightly different from the mondo release. Of course the MGM just looks terrible every time you compare a shot with blue sky!

https://imageshack.com/i/nflnpwdj

KrugJ strikes again! Thanks for the youtube link. Those colours are way different than the MGM 4K. In fact, based on your comparison pics, the colours are similar to the Mondo BD.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:13:50 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »

KrugJ strikes again! Thanks for the youtube link. Those colours are way different than the MGM 4K. In fact, based on your comparison pics, the colours are similar to the Mondo BD.

Yes, similar to the mondo but there is a bit of a difference, which makes me think the Italians might be releasing another blu next year? Perhaps as a boxset?

Of course, MGM would have us believe their transfer is "what Leone intended"...but it seems like maybe Leone's own family doesn't agree. Would love to hear what the print looks like in the theatre in Italy...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:33:17 PM by Jordan Krug » Logged
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »

That would be great. Another opportunity to sync the english audio to the superior Italian video.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM