Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:40:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Remastered version by 20th Century Fox coming in 2014
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remastered version by 20th Century Fox coming in 2014  (Read 21977 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

I bought the Blu meanwhile too.

The German mono audio is great.

The Yellow is good for all the landscape in the background, but for my taste there is too much color in the film, so it is the first DVD/Blu for years (at least since I have this amazing Plasma TV) for which I turned down the colors a bit. I don't mind the yellowish color palette per se, but somehow the film looks strange on this Blu. Not like it used to be.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »

I bought the Blu meanwhile too.

The German mono audio is great.

Is this what you bought? http://www.amazon.de/Zwei-glorreiche-Halunken-Blu-ray-Cleef/dp/B00IDS9M50/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1407090675&sr=1-2&keywords=the+good+the+bad+and+the+ugly

Is the German mono audio what went out in 1966/7? What did they do for the audio in the grotto scene?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2014, 12:51:46 PM »

That guy seems to think there is a color called "yellow teal."

Grin

Basically opposite ends of the spectrum! They've probably got their terminology all muddled up due to the whole orange+teal thing:

http://www.wired.com/2013/01/orange-teal-infographics/

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »

Is this what you bought? http://www.amazon.de/Zwei-glorreiche-Halunken-Blu-ray-Cleef/dp/B00IDS9M50/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1407090675&sr=1-2&keywords=the+good+the+bad+and+the+ugly

Is the German mono audio what went out in 1966/7? What did they do for the audio in the grotto scene?

Yes, that's the one. The same as in whole Europe.

It's the original German mono audio, and not the fake 5.1. audio which they packed on the 2004 DVD and on the 2009 Blu.

The originally not dubbed scenes were taken from a 1996 TV mono dub for these scenes. They used the same speakers, but just like on the English dub the problem is that the voices did sound different after so many years. but at least better than on the much new criticised dub MGM made for the 2004 DVD.

The Grotto scene was then taken from the 2004 version, and also a few lines of the torture scene. cause the 1996 dub was done for the differently cut Italian version of that scene.

So it's still a mish-mash, but at the moment more then one could hope for. That MGM skipped their own 5.1. sound completely (and followed therefor an internet petition of fans) is not taken for granted.

The first DVD from 1998 contained also the mono version, but the sound was pretty bad, half of it marred by some hum in the background.

So at least we Germans have the original gun sounds back.

Well, the next remastered HD version (most likely less yellowish) will surely follow around 2019, then let's see if we get rid of the grotto scene. But in the meantime there surely will appear a newly Italian Blu, now remastered in 4K .

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »

So the new European BRD has the original mono; but the original English mono is not on the new American BRD?
And the new European BRD has the longer cut of the torture scene?
Btw, does anyone know if the torture scene was cut by Leone following the Rome premiere (like the Cave scene) or was it cut by the American distributor like the rest of the "missing" 16 minutes? (we probably covered this point somewhere in the "GBU Restored Scene Breakdown" thread but I forgot ... )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »

A poster at CriterionForum reports:
FYI: The new single-disc release of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY 4K restoration contains the correct restored mono audio and NOT the infamous 5.1 mixdown. If anyone is skeptical, compare the 5.1 against the mono for the Extended Version scenes and you'll see they're clearly different.
I'm not quite getting what he's saying. There never was any mono audio for the Extended Version scenes in English, was there?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »

No there wasn't. Confusing post. Can he confirm it's not merely a downmix of the 5.1 track?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »

DVD Savant just wrote some comments on the new BD (http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/archives/2014_11.html). Most notably:

When the single disc edition of GBU appeared in October we assumed it would be identical to the disc in the Trilogy box set. NOPE -- two trustworthy and knowledgeable Savant readers have written in to report that a restored original mono choice has been added. The single-disc release is the first time that the original monaural has been available since the 1998 DVD of the short U.S. theatrical version. Fans of the original mix can finally enjoy all those original wheezy Leone gunshot sound effects again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »

cool  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »

So where's the recall for the MWNN Trilogy BD set? They obviously fucked up.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »

I dashed out to the store right after reading Savant's post. I picked up the BD for only $10 CDN.

I've had it in my player for less than 10 min and I can confirm it's the original mono mix during the International cut scenes. Unfortunately, it's lossy Dolby Digital 1.0 192kbps.

I've yet to listen carefully to the extended scenes but I did immediately notice during the outpost scene that the voice has changed for the soldier saying, "Sergeant, listen to this Corporal for a moment."

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:10:37 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »

I'm still not getting this. What does the audio do when it gets to the portions that were "restored" in 2002? Does it suddenly shift from the original mono to the 5.1 mixdown?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »

I'm still not getting this. What does the audio do when it gets to the portions that were "restored" in 2002? Does it suddenly shift from the original mono to the 5.1 mixdown?

The quote from criterion is misleading. The entire track is mono. They correctly used the original mono for most of the film (i.e. the International cut) and spliced in "downmix" mono for the extended scenes. I quoted downmix because it's not identical to the mono mixdown track on previous releases. In fact, it's better. Especially for the grotto scene. Previously the lip sync was terrible. Chace Audio improved it significantly by rearranging the words of Tuco's monologue and dialogue with the 3 bandidos. It sounds like they made Tuco's voice deeper too. There's also some tweaking of the other extended scenes as well. All for the better. Chace Audio did a good job with what they had to work with.

WHY COULDN'T MGM INCLUDE A LOSSLESS MONO TRACK???

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »

Got it. Thanks heaps.  Afro

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »

It sounds like they made Tuco's voice deeper too.

That sounds like a wise choice. I know it was Eli Wallach's own voice (albeit after several decades had passed) but it was too high relative to his voice elsewhere.

This release sounds tempting in spite of the colors now.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM