Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:14:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Remastered version by 20th Century Fox coming in 2014
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remastered version by 20th Century Fox coming in 2014  (Read 21834 times)
depp91
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:57:41 AM »

Rumours had already spread and were discussed on the German Cinefacts forums: 20th Century Fox will release a remastered version of TGBU in 2014. They confirmed it yesterday when they replied to a question posed by a user:

So, what do you think of this? Will we finally get a decent BluRay of this movie??
I'm thinking about asking via Facebook if it is possible to include fans in this project in order to assist them on some things that had been wrong in previous editions... What do you think?

UPDATE:
Fox wrote at Film-Insider:
"Zu Rocky liegen noch keine weiteren Informationen vor. Bisher ist nur bekannt, dass es einen neuen Transfer geben wird, mehr wissen wir leider noch nicht. Gleiches gilt auch fr die Glorreichen Halunken."
("There is no further information regarding Rocky. The only thing that is known by now that there will be a new transfer, we don't know more yet, unfortunately. The same is true for The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.")

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:16:58 AM by depp91 » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:43:34 AM »

Awesome news. Along with a beautiful transfer, I'd definitely recommend some seamless branching options.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »

Great news!

Fingers crossed for a half decent release.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »

This IS good news, but doesn't speak to whether or not there will be a U.S. release for this master. I'm hoping for a Criterion edition.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:47:46 AM »

If MGM/Fox masters this film again I see no reason why they shouldn't release it worldwide again.

Question is what they do in that case with the audio options. And with the cave scene.

In a perfect world they would release all versions in one set. Some kind of Special Platinum Extra Gold Titanium Edition

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »

is John Jerk gonna be in charge of this? If so, I am not too confident about it

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »

I've been thinking about this and there are so many ways they can mess up this release.

Ultimately, I hope they abandon the extended version. That will increase our chances of getting the original English mono soundtrack.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »

I believe most feel that the already technology exists (for several years now) to offer as (1) original US release, (2) with the additional scenes added in (except the cave scene), and (3) the entire "restored version" with the cave scene, so viewer could simply chose one of those options with the DVD remote control.  And maybe with a choice of original or modified audio.

But the real goal should be to get it right.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

depp91,

Can you ask 20th Century Fox Deutschland if this remastered release will include the International or extended version? Or both?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »

So far they have only announced that they are willing to release it again next year if they think there is enough interest. So there is a chance they will take in consideration every point of critic which was uttered constantly in the last years.

It would be clever to make a deal with the Italians and to remaster it together by using all elements which belong in the film. But, are they clever ?

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »

...and what about a 3d version

Personally from time to time, I like to watch the old grainy version from my old VHS.

Some people still prefer to listen to vinyl, than mp3s.  Grin

**************** ZZ TOPs 1st Gig **************
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »

So far they have only announced that they are willing to release it again next year if they think there is enough interest.

Then we should let them know there is significant interest by barraging those message boards with posts, and sending them letters, emails, and phone calls....

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

Then we should let them know there is significant interest by barraging those message boards with posts, and sending them letters, emails, and phone calls....

....and maybe a horses head?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »

It sounds like The Gaumont la demande series.

hanshotfirst1138
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »

The lack of the mono is still a major dealbraker for me Sad. Evidently, outside of the old SD DVD theatrical version, there's never been a version of this with the original mono. The downmix is almost more insulting than not including it at all. How foolish does Fox think that fans are? The definitive movie of the whole genre, and no proper release? What a crushing disappointment. It's the Drunken Master II of Spaghetti Westerns. Sigh.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM