Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:55:30 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone Film Festival in Chicago
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Leone Film Festival in Chicago  ( 14682 )
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #15 : July 28, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »

Few weeks in Chicago can get pretty pricey - especially when you include them shoeshines  :o

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #16 : July 29, 2004, 03:09:17 AM »

How was the Dynamite screening? Was it the fully restored version? Was the print and picture quality good? Man, I would love to have seen the whole lot! Unfortunately I live a long way away...

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #17 : July 29, 2004, 07:06:54 AM »

How was the Dynamite screening? Was it the fully restored version? Was the print and picture quality good? Man, I would love to have seen the whole lot! Unfortunately I live a long way away...

I'm not a an expert on Dynamite, but according to the adverts this was the restored version - it included an extra 20 minutes:

http://www.artic.edu/webspaces/siskelfilmcenter/2004/july/leone.htm

Saw it last night, first surprise was that the theater was packed - but considering the audience was half middle-aged white guys and half hipster art students maybe not so surprising after all.  Didn't expect that kind of turnout for Leone's most obscure work.  Fun audience to watch it with, they were getting into it.  Plus they serve beer at this theater, tres European.  Detected more than a whiff of herb in the air too.

The opening scene with the toffs in the coach is SO MUCH better on widescreen.  Those ultratight closeups are hilarious, a self-parody.

I don't really have a basis for comparison, other than having seen a pan-and-scan version once on cable.  But it did look like a nice clean print, colors were vibrant.  It was apparent when some scenes were added, lots of scratches and washed out colors.  

I still think it's missing some scenes, there were a couple of jarring edits - the scene where Sean is drunk and ready to blow up the church containing Aschenbach, and Juan pushes the plunger?  There was no transition scene explaining how they got there, something must be missing.   I can't remember it now, but there was another transition that made no sense.   I know I wasn't the only one, because everyone else was kind of Huh? when the scene was playing out.  Leone was too careful to let that happen, I can't believe he released it like that.

I don't know, still not a huge fan of this movie.  Not so crazy about Steiger's performance, especially his Tony Montana accent.  For me, this movie lacks the sizzle and intensity of his other films - it's definitely Leone, but it's missing something.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #18 : July 29, 2004, 01:55:54 PM »

ive always thought that about Dynamite Sibley. It's got the Leone spark but its not wholly consistent and missing that something.  :P

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #19 : August 03, 2004, 04:38:01 AM »

Thanks for the feedback on the screening Sibley...

It's funny with FOD - the first time I saw it I liked it but nowhere near as much as the other films, but having watched it quite a lot, it's really grown on me. There are so many scenes in the film I really like that I can watch parts of it over and over, and I love the score, which I think is the most eccentric of the Morricone/Leone collaborations.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #20 : August 03, 2004, 11:47:55 AM »

I'll have to watch FOD some more, hope DVD will be coming out soon.

But in the meantime, I'll be going to see OATIA on the big screen tomorrow night.  This version will be nearly 4 hours long  ;D

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines