Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:27:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Luciano Vincenzoni, RIP
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luciano Vincenzoni, RIP  (Read 4135 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

He only co-wrote all this stuff.
As far as GBU is concerned, that's not true. He shared writing credits with Leone, but that would never have happened if he'd been working in Hollywood at the time as a member of the screenwriter's guild. The guild would have ensured solo credit, for both story and screenplay.

But let's look at the record.
Vincenzoni: ‘We [myself and Age-Scarpelli] developed the screenplay with Sergio Leone. . . . We used to chat, and after that I wrote, he read and sometimes he asked me for some changes. The progress was a normal one.’[ Frayling, 215] We know that almost nothing directly attributable to Age-Scarpelli was used; it’s possible, however, that things were indirectly suggested by them during their bull sessions with the others. In any case, neither A-S nor Leone would have been entitled to a story writing credit for this per WGA rules (and without adherence to WGA rules, any director, on any film, could demand and get screenwriting credit).

After working on the movie for eleven days, Vicenzoni agreed to do the scripts for A Professional Gun and Death Rides a Horse and so departed. Leone needed someone who could stay with the production, be available while they were shooting to make changes, to help with the film’s final form in post-production. Enter Sergio Donati. We know, for example, Donati was responsible for rewriting the scene between Sentenza and the half-soldier (the original dialogue was about something else). While the film was being edited for length, such rewriting was necessary.

Donati did not receive screen credit for his contributions. Age-Scarpelli and Leone did. Go figure.

The final form of the Italian film was not, of course, the end of the creative process for what became the International cut of the film. The film was re-edited yet again. And then the English-language dub had to be applied. Enter Mickey Knox, and the vocal talents of Eastwood, Wallach, and LVC
Knox recalls, ‘[Sergio] had a very poor translation from the Italian, and in most cases the American actors changed the dialogue when they were doing it . . . I knew what they were supposed to be saying because I had the Italian script . . . But I had to find out the right dialogue, not only in terms of moving the story along, but also to fit the lips. It’s not an easy thing to do. As a matter of fact, it took me six weeks to write what they call the “lip-synch script.” Normally I would have done it in seven or ten days for a movie. But this wasn’t a normal movie.’ Out of this process came  ‘a lot of translated  Italian quips’ .which turned into the American phrases ‘there are two kinds of people in this world’, ‘it’s no joke, it’s a rope’ and ‘shoot, don’t talk’—a version of the Italian saying ‘when someone is talking he’s unlikely to shoot you.’
[Frayling, 219]

Official writing credits are as follows. Original story: Vincenzoni and Leone. Screenplay: Age-Scarpelli, Vincenzoni, Leone (English-language version "by Mickey Knox").

Film is a collaborative undertaking, and many hands contributed to the making of GBU. The “script” in its “final” form was arrived at by the accretion of layers of rewriting and editing, but such work rested on a well-built foundation: the original story. The lion’s share of that story’s construction should probably be credited to Vincenzoni (and his script for La Grande Guerra, the kernel for GBU). Leone did what directors always do--shape the writing process to produce an acceptable final product. But that isn't doing the actual screenwriting. And if Donati wasn't entitled to credit even under the loose standards of the Italian film industry, then the proper writing credit for GBU should be: Story & Screenplay: Vincenzoni.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »

Il mercenario must have been much later. In 68 when Corbucci took over the Solinas/Pontecorvo project.

We don't know for sure how much was contributed to GBU by Vincenconi and others. He said about Death Rides a Horse that it was the only film (or maybe western) of his which was exactly shot as written.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »

Surely being "shot as written" is an entirely different issue than responsibility. No screenwriter has complete control over its page-to-screen transition, unless they're directing the film themselves.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 05:51:04 AM »

I wish Le Grande Guerra would be released on Region 1 DVD. Frayling repeatedly references that movie when discussing GBU, he says Vincenzoni also wrote the script for that movie and it has similarities with GBU. But looking on Amazon, looks like it's only available on Region 2 dvd.

Of course, if anyone here can make a copy on a region-free disc and mail it to me - assuming English subtitles are available – they just might find a fistful of dollars in their mailbox... PM me  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »

Of course, if anyone here can make a copy on a region-free disc and mail it to me - assuming English subtitles are available – they just might find a fistful of dollars in their mailbox... PM me  Smiley
I imagine that finding a copy with English subtitles would be a problem.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »

Well, someone's uploaded it onto Youtube. No subtitles though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvD9rGUnrE

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM