Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:22:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wop Film Watch Alert!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wop Film Watch Alert!  (Read 6046 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 06:38:24 AM »

Pal is no problem, but if the DVD is region locked your Blu Rayer must be region free.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:56 AM »

Pal is no problem, but if the DVD is region locked your Blu Rayer must be region free.
Huh? There is no such thing as a region free Blu-ray player. All players have to be switched manually. Blu-ray players will play DVDs in any region.

I've owned 2 Blu-ray players so far. The first was NOT a Blu-ray region switchable player, but it played DVDs from all regions. However, it did not convert PAL signals to NTSC or 1080p, which meant when I played a PAL disc I got sound only and no picture. I now have a Blu-ray region switchable player that allows me to select either Region A, B, or C for my Blu-ray discs, and allows me to play any DVD no matter which Blu-ray region is selected. Needless to say, it converts PAL signals as well.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »

Huh? There is no such thing as a region free Blu-ray player. All players have to be switched manually. Blu-ray players will play DVDs in any region.

I think you're being a little pedantic DJ. A regional switchable BD player is to all intents a region free BD player. It's just a question of software in the case of DVD players and firmware in the case of BD players.

I've owned 2 Blu-ray players so far. The first was NOT a Blu-ray region switchable player, but it played DVDs from all regions. However, it did not convert PAL signals to NTSC or 1080p, which meant when I played a PAL disc I got sound only and no picture. I now have a Blu-ray region switchable player that allows me to select either Region A, B, or C for my Blu-ray discs, and allows me to play any DVD no matter which Blu-ray region is selected. Needless to say, it converts PAL signals as well.

Neither of those is ideal because as soon as your player converts the signal from PAL to NTSC the image quality is significantly downgraded. You'd need a really expensive PAL-NTSC converter (beyond whatever one is in your player) to minimize this and even then you might still have issues. In the US, You ideally need a TV that supports native PAL. Unfortunately any Samsung or Panasonic consumers in the US tend to be locked out from receiving unconverted PAL - I'm guessing to avoid black-market exports, although most other manufacturers don't seem to care with their sets but it is model dependent.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »

Ok, then Pal is maybe a problem. As far as I know in Germany we can watch any NTSC disc without problems (apart from the region locking of course).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

so, if I have a Region A blu-ray player, I should not buy the Region 2 La Grande Guerra DVD...

I guess I'll have to find someone to go with to see the movie at Film Forum on Dec. 4, since DJ can't make it ...  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »

As far as I know in Germany we can watch any NTSC disc without problems (apart from the region locking of course).

That's what I'd expect. I think it's only the North American market where some TV manufacturers intentionally disable PAL playback on some models.

so, if I have a Region A blu-ray player, I should not buy the Region 2 La Grande Guerra DVD...

A standard region A BD player will play region A BDs and Region 1 NTSC DVDs.

My BD player is a region A player that has been modified to also play region B and region C BDs by booting the player up in different regions via the handset (default setting is A). It has also been modified to play all region DVDs and has a built in PAL-NTSC converter. However the PAL-NTSC converter is particularly terrible so what I do is boot the player as Region B for PAL DVDs because then it outputs native PAL to my TV.  

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »

Wrong. Your Blu-ray player will play it. The only question is whether 1) the Region 2 DVD is in PAL (some are in NTSC) and 2) whether your player can convert a PAL signal if it needs to. Many US players DO convert. Check the specs on yours.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 06:44:09 AM »

Okay, I convinced a friend to go with me on Dec. 4. I told her I'd pay for her ticket, but when I know that my Leone friends are counting on me to watch this movie and report back to them, anxiously awaiting the famous D&D liveblogging from the urinal at the movie theater, money is no object. There's nothing I wouldn't do for y'all ... I'm even gonna sit through this COMEDY! Wink

now let's hope that nothing screws up between now and Dec. 4 ...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »

awaiting the famous D&D liveblogging from the urinal at the movie theater

Don't forget to make a selfie ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »

Heading to Film Forum now for LA GRANDE GUERRA. I'm gonna head out into the cold, watch a comedy, bribe my friend to go by promising to pay for her ticket, deal with Film Forum's small screens .... all because I know y'all are waiting breathlessly for my liveblogging from the pisser. What I wouldn't do for my Leone friends ...
Of course, I'm only trying to downplay my excitement Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 04:22:59 PM »

I am standing by in Tokyo, awaiting your report.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »

Its a cold Wednesday night in the big city. 5 minutes before showtime, there are 35 people in the theater.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »

Actually its Thursday night. But it is indeed cold Smiley
LGG is being shown as part of a Mario Monicelli series at Film Forum.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:03:14 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/titanus-a-family-chronicle-of-italian-cinema

I may be going tonight. . . .

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/open-roads-new-italian-cinema-2015

I'm tempted to hit the new Olmi, but I hate paying premium prices for only 80 minutes of content. We'll see.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM