Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 12:45:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013  (Read 37565 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »

The runtime will be then 157 min, which means the addional last flashback is included.
I assume this is the long flashback, not the short one.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »

Long one? Short one? Never heard about different ones.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »

Probably yes, as they used the mono version for their English audio track, and not the fake 5.1. sound of the MGM release.

The runtime will be then 157 min, which means the addional last flashback is included. Even if then it is actually not a Leone approved version from 1971, cause the theatrical cut did not include that scene. But of course DYS is better with that scene.

when I said "audio," I wasn't referring to mono vs. 5.1; I was actually referring to the music and dialogue, cuz as we've discussed extensively in the "DYS soundtrack comparison" thread, the different dvd's have different music and dialogue in certain spots

RE: the final flashback: if they do include the flashback, that is definitely the Leone-approved version. Leone wanted that flashback in, Frayling says the distributor (I think in Italy?) cut it cuz they believed people wouldn't stay through that whole flashback; they'd think the movie was ending and walk out. (Not sure why they would think that....) But Leone definitely wanted that in

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »

This sounds great!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »

did it say anything about region codes?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 02:24:09 AM »

did it say anything about region codes?

No but I wouldn't be surprised either way.  Several people have ordered it and hopefully one of them will confirm whether it is region locked or region free.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 03:05:19 AM »

when I said "audio," I wasn't referring to mono vs. 5.1; I was actually referring to the music and dialogue, cuz as we've discussed extensively in the "DYS soundtrack comparison" thread, the different dvd's have different music and dialogue in certain spots

Yes, but that's only happening in the 5.1 audio from MGM. I think the Original English mono audio got it right. Apart from altered noises (like gunshots etc) for a 5.1 sound, which should be forbidden, the other changes are minor stuff for me.

RE: the final flashback: if they do include the flashback, that is definitely the Leone-approved version. Leone wanted that flashback in, Frayling says the distributor (I think in Italy?) cut it cuz they believed people wouldn't stay through that whole flashback; they'd think the movie was ending and walk out. (Not sure why they would think that....) But Leone definitely wanted that in

I also think that Leone wanted it in, but he allowed the film to be released without it. And I doubt that it was the distributor's decision.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:48:46 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »

Yes, but that's only happening in the 5.1 audio from MGM. I think the Original English mono audio got it right. Apart from altered noises (like gunshots etc) for a 5.1 sound, which should be forbidden, the other changes are minor stuff for me.

the different musical is minor stuff for you?Huh? That's major stuff for me. Especially in the final flashback, where, as we discussed extensively in the soundtrack comparison thread, (in my opinion and the opinion of many others) the interpretation of that scene is very different depending on whether the music stops and then starts again once Nolan starts kissing the girl, or if it flows straight: if the former, Sean is not happy with the situation; if the latter, he is.

There's also some change in dialogue (eg. just before Sean lights the dynamite to save Juan from the firing squad, Sean says either "duck, you sucker" in one version and  "short fuse" in another. Also, there's some cursing that is scrubbed in one version.

Also, I don't believe we ever resolved in that thread which version was correct.... so it's not like I can say, "I hope they do Version X and not Version Y," cuz I don't know which is correct. I just hope they use the correct music!

I believe that post on blu-ray.com said they are using a 1971 positive to get the color right.... what about the audio? where are they getting that from?... My guess is that the reason for the differentiation in music of the final flashback is because that final flashback was cut on initial release, so when it was later put back for the dvd, maybe the original soundtrack for that scene didn't survive?.... Also, on initial theatrical release, was the final flashback cut in ALL countries, or did it play in some countries? I'm hoping there is still an original, full print of the movie from 1971 that has all the correct music...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »

the different musical is minor stuff for you?Huh? That's major stuff for me. Especially in the final flashback, where, as we discussed extensively in the soundtrack comparison thread, (in my opinion and the opinion of many others) the interpretation of that scene is very different depending on whether the music stops and then starts again once Nolan starts kissing the girl, or if it flows straight: if the former, Sean is not happy with the situation; if the latter, he is.

There's a lot of interpretation necessary to see a difference for this scene. I do not see it, or hear it. I hear slightly different music. And I would never have noticed it without reading about it.
There's also some change in dialogue (eg. just before Sean lights the dynamite to save Juan from the firing squad, Sean says either "duck, you sucker" in one version and  "short fuse" in another. Also, there's some cursing that is scrubbed in one version.

For that, I never watched DYS in English, and will probably never do. But it would maybe something I would notice. But still, minor stuff. I also did not care much for the missing seconds (which are now restored) on the FAFDM DVDs.

Also, I don't believe we ever resolved in that thread which version was correct.... so it's not like I can say, "I hope they do Version X and not Version Y," cuz I don't know which is correct. I just hope they use the correct music!

I believe that post on blu-ray.com said they are using a 1971 positive to get the color right.... what about the audio? where are they getting that from?... My guess is that the reason for the differentiation in music of the final flashback is because that final flashback was cut on initial release, so when it was later put back for the dvd, maybe the original soundtrack for that scene didn't survive?.... Also, on initial theatrical release, was the final flashback cut in ALL countries, or did it play in some countries? I'm hoping there is still an original, full print of the movie from 1971 that has all the correct music...

I think it was never shown anywhere until the restoration was done in Italy in the mid-90s. And then later also added to the MGM version.

The correct audio is the one from the Italian version. Wasn't that already clarified which is the correct one and which not? Ain't it only the 5.1 version which has some discrepancies?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »

The correct audio is the one from the Italian version. Wasn't that already clarified which is the correct one and which not? Ain't it only the 5.1 version which has some discrepancies?

maybe.

but there was major debate over which music was correct - and IMO, getting the music correct is more important than the gunshots or minor bits of dialogue

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

Yes, but that depends on how much was changed. The ending of the Paramount OUTW, that's a big change, but I remember that when I compared some of the different music parts for Giu la testa (the pup scene) that it sounded not that different. Of course it should be the way it was originally made.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »

I wish it was all available exactly as Leone wanted it.

Once you said you'd rather have dialogue correct than audio, I'm just responding that (in this particular situation - nothing to do with OUATITW or any other movie), if I could only have one thing corrected, it would be the final music. But again, I wish everything was correct.

Now, here is a question I have - which I am sure is discussed in the "soundtrack comparison" thread but I am too lazy to check through all 7 pages, so I hope someone has an easy answer: if only the MGM dvd has the final flashback, then where does the other version of the flashback and music come from? The European dvd (which had the other dialogue, the curses, etc.) did that have the final flashback?

Also, were there any musical discrepancies between the two versions other than the last scene?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:40 AM »

Chris, how about you make a separate thread for each of the above movies, in that movie's board; that way, we can discuss each individual brd separately, rather than discussing them all in this thread in the DYS board. Thanks  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:04:43 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:24 AM »

Chris, how about you make a separate thread for each of the above movies, in that movie's board; that way, we can discuss each individual brd separately, rather than discussing them all in this thread in the DYS board. Thanks  Smiley

There's not much info yet about COR but if none of them apart from DYS have English audio, I don't think I'll be contributing much to the discussions.    Undecided

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 05:53:29 AM »

okay, I made a separate thread in each movie's board.

Once the brd's are released and more info comes out, there's probably going to be some discussion on each one, and IMO it's better to have a separate thread where each can be discussed  Smiley

Let the countdown begin 14 days to go!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM