Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 02:50:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013  (Read 38034 times)
depp91
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »

I've just ordered this from an Ebay seller. Initially,  I wanted to wait until the first reviews appear, but I just couldn't resist  Shocked

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »

If that "further info" is correct, then I'm getting excited, especially about this part:

""The restoration of GIU' LA TESTA was made from the original negative and magnetic soundtrack From Sergio Leone Foundation .

This copy corresponds to the full version that Sergio Leone approved in 1971.

The Techniscope negative was scanned at a resolution of 2K and digitally restored, the color correction was performed taking as reference a positive print of 1971.

The English version sound was restored from the original magnetic materials used for mixing in mono.

The film was restored by the Cinematheque of Bologna at L'Immagine Ritrovata laboratory in 2009, with the approval of the Sergio Leone Foundation .""

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Robert Muller
Road Apple

In the dusters were men, in the men were bullets

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

Amazon Italy does not mention anything about an English language soundtrack at all, but the above review clearly confirms it is there!
Just to double-check before I order my copy, are you indeed sure the English language option in the menu is available? Thanks

Adios Amigos
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »

I am not sure. As you say, the amazon.it page for the title says nothing about an English audio track. Amazon info is often unreliable, however. Just how reliable the other source is remains to be seen. To be safe, you could wait and watch for comments from people who actually get the disc.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

yeah, I never trust a word Amazon says. Wait till you hear what people who bought it say.

if these discs will play in American blu-ray players, I'll definitely buy them all.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:46:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 02:52:46 AM »

Over at Blu-ray.com, one of the members has spoken to the Italian distributors.

The release date for Gił la testa and some of the other BDs has been put back two weeks to 18 December 2013.

An image from the film restoration laboratory L'Immagine Ritrovata's site has also been posted:

depp91
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »

Someone at bluray.com posted the following:
"Easily one of the discs of the year. Colours are very warm, detail is rich and sharpness is excellent (but it's not over-sharpened). There are very few instances of debris/minor damages during the film. I confirm the English track, which is clearly the better option - especially regarding explosions, noises and so on.  Like "Once Upon a Time in the West", the disc is B-locked."
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=229638&page=4

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:44:22 PM by depp91 » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »

Hot damn! Ordered!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »

Oops, bad news from hometheaterforum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/328643-a-sneak-peek-at-leone-and-polanski/
Now, the usual suspects on another board are calling Duck, You Sucker the Blu-ray of the year.  I don't know what year they're actually talking about, perhaps 2004 before Blu-ray existed?  Because not only is it not the disc of the year, it's a complete and utter fail in terms of color - well, unless you like brown (what the wags on that site call "warm" - apparently they've never seen an actual Sergio Leone film or they would know that a drab, brown film could not be what he intended.  And make no mistake, this is as drab a transfer as this film has had.  The contrast is milky, the color is brown, and the detail is okay.  The MGM/UA DVD has slightly better color and at least has a little blue and green in it.  This thing made me want to vomit on the ground - anyone who's seen what this film should really look like will want to do the same - and I just saw a gorgeous IB Technicolor print of it literally four weeks ago.  Disc of the year, my butt cheek.  Mr. Leone and his cameraman would be turning over in their graves - and shame on Andrea Leone for allowing this or thinking that it's right in any way.
Order cancelled!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »

you are a fickle man, Mr. Jenkins  Grin

Has anyone said anything about the dialogue and music? No matter how good, bad, or ugly the image is, I'd be interested to know what they did about those differences in the dialogue and music that we've discussed so much.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »

Has anyone said anything about the dialogue and music? No matter how good, bad, or ugly the image is, I'd be interested to know what they did about those differences in the dialogue and music that we've discussed so much.

Read further down on the blu-ray forum thread linked to above

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

thanks, I read down till the end of page 1 of that thread; IMO here is the important post on that page http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8567963&postcount=77

it says "this is the original Italian edit with the final flashback at the end" -- I would just like to know what music they use for that final flashback; is it the song where the music stops and then starts again when Sean stops kissing the girl and hands her off to Nolan, or is it the continuous music? To me, - while I don't know which song is the correct one, that's the most important change in the film, because the meaning of the scene depends on which song is used, as we've discussed in the DYS Soundtrach Comparison thread

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:45 AM »

Someone at bluray.com posted the following:
"Easily one of the discs of the year. Colours are very warm, detail is rich and sharpness is excellent (but it's not over-sharpened). There are very few instances of debris/minor damages during the film. I confirm the English track, which is clearly the better option - especially regarding explosions, noises and so on.  Like "Once Upon a Time in the West", the disc is B-locked."
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=229638&page=4

Like Dave Jenkins I thought ''Hot damn. Ordered.' And did.

THEN I read the BAD NEWS posting. Too late to cancel.
Unfortunately I can confirm the BAD NEWS.
I wanna punch the person who posted the above in the blu-ray forum. He or she was probably bribed.
Usually I'm lucky checking out discs in the net before I order them, this time I wasn't.
What an IDIOT.  ''Colors, rich, warm'' Huh BLINDMAN comes to mind.

There ARE no colors! I know people at the Cineteca and a lot of their work, great people.
So I can't imagine what happened. Maybe it's the one out of 100 that was fucked up.
Or they had no funds to deal with the colors. Looks to me that these are the colors
that they got after the HD transfer! After 40 years or so negatives look like that (incl.
some minor color correction). AWFUL. I'm really sad, I love this film.
I read they used a 1971 positive print as reference. What the fu..Huh
The prints already looked faded when I first saw it in cinemas in 1980.

Will there be an US BD release HuhHuhHuh? The colors on the DVD are fine.

Besides the colors the image quality is quite good, but what good does that do now??
Don't ask me about the sound (english, yes), I didn't check the ending yet.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:58:05 AM by mike siegel » Logged

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »

Mike, did you also order some of the other new Leone Blus?

depp91
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 06:42:56 AM »

It's funny how the reception on the Internet has changed from "BluRay of the year" to a more critical view.
I haven't received the disc yet (the ebay seller I bought it from hasn't even shipped it yet, I think Undecided).

Let's collect all the negative stuf that has been said about the release so far:
- bad quality English language track
- "What about me?" is actually in Italian on the English language track
- colors look faded / brownish
- around the 39/40 mark a few frames from somewhere else in the movie are randomly spliced in
- the English language track is out of sync in places

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM