Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:08:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013  (Read 37063 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »

so the American MGM dvd is better than this new blu-ray?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »

Well I upgraded this year to a 46inch Samsung, and the DVD is not good enough for that. A lot of my DVD's are very well excecuted regarding master / authoring and stil look very good. Unfortunately not this one Sad . Just not enough details, sharpness, resolution.
I'm getting more and more sad. Leone is one of THE all time film makers, his films (just so few anyway!) are top sellers when
it comes to classic cinema - still nothing but trouble. No experts at work. What a shame.

So far the only really great one is FOD!. The low-budget one! The German BD is just great. (And the 50 year Italian BD next
year should be great as well).
FDM - not a good HD master at all! VERY grainy, night scenes are always difficult but here almost EVERYTHING is grainy.
GBU I don't even have yet. Nightmare. Should be a KILLER Blu-ray. Where is it??
OUATITW - is OK, but not great either.
GIU LA TESTA - what a downer today. Sharp, HD and it still sucks.
OUATIA - I just read some postings here and I'm already frustrated.

I know BD label people who have a lot of problems with Italian HD masters. Yes, IT IS difficult to make a (almost) perfect HD master,
but it is not impossible!
 I just watched CORRUPTION from 1967 (Grindhouse), with Peter Cushing, not his best known film, yet the master is FANTASTIC.
Looks like the film was shot last year. What's this trouble with our beloved Sergio ? Do we have to do for them ?
The FOD BD shows that it is possible to give justice to these pieces of art.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »

The German FAFDM Blu is indeed too grainy. I bought it for the second German dub, which has some changed parts in the score and one of these parts is brilliant, only that it wasn't Leone who made it. And I bought it because it contains the minor parts which were still cut.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »

Well I upgraded this year to a 46inch Samsung, and the DVD is not good enough for that. A lot of my DVD's are very well excecuted regarding master / authoring and stil look very good. Unfortunately not this one Sad . Just not enough details, sharpness, resolution.
I'm getting more and more sad. Leone is one of THE all time film makers, his films (just so few anyway!) are top sellers when
it comes to classic cinema - still nothing but trouble. No experts at work. What
I know BD label people who have a lot of problems with Italian HD masters. Yes, IT IS difficult to make a (almost) perfect HD master,
but it is not impossible!
 I just watched CORRUPTION from 1967 (Grindhouse), with Peter Cushing, not his best known film, yet the master is FANTASTIC.
Looks like the film was shot last year. What's this trouble with our beloved Sergio ? Do we have to do for them ?
The FOD BD shows that it is possible to give justice to these pieces of art.

Sometimes it seems the more popular a film is, the poorer the quality of the original elements...which sort of makes sense if you think of all the prints, re-issues, foreign cuts, restorations etc over the years. Add to that different cuts for Italy and North America...plus the fact Leone shot in a rarer format like technicscope...there's just a lot of things that can go wrong with each release when they haven't done the proper research.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »

Like Dave Jenkins I thought ''Hot damn. Ordered.' And did.

THEN I read the BAD NEWS posting. Too late to cancel.
Unfortunately I can confirm the BAD NEWS.
I wanna punch the person who posted the above in the blu-ray forum. He or she was probably bribed.
Usually I'm lucky checking out discs in the net before I order them, this time I wasn't.
What an IDIOT.  ''Colors, rich, warm'' Huh BLINDMAN comes to mind.

There ARE no colors! I know people at the Cineteca and a lot of their work, great people.
So I can't imagine what happened. Maybe it's the one out of 100 that was fucked up.
Or they had no funds to deal with the colors. Looks to me that these are the colors
that they got after the HD transfer! After 40 years or so negatives look like that (incl.
some minor color correction). AWFUL. I'm really sad, I love this film.
I read they used a 1971 positive print as reference. What the fu..Huh
The prints already looked faded when I first saw it in cinemas in 1980.

Will there be an US BD release HuhHuhHuh? The colors on the DVD are fine.

Besides the colors the image quality is quite good, but what good does that do now??
Don't ask me about the sound (english, yes), I didn't check the ending yet.
Oops, sorry that happened to you. However, thank you for the confirmation, even though the news is all bad. I guess I'll have to seek solace for the time being with the Eric Rohmer l'integrale set.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

So far the only really great one is FOD!. The low-budget one! The German BD is just great. (And the 50 year Italian BD next
year should be great as well).

the Italian Ripley's BRD that's out now is beautiful http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews42/fistful_of_dollars_blu-ray.htm

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »

the Italian Ripley's BRD that's out now is beautiful http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews42/fistful_of_dollars_blu-ray.htm
Attualmente non disponibile.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »

Attualmente non disponibile.

It is available on Amazon's American website
http://www.amazon.com/Per-Un-Pugno-Dollari-Italian/dp/B00416RQLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1388466844&sr=1-1&keywords=per+un+pugno+di+dollari

(btw, the rambling Amazon review by Tino is mine)

The Italian guy selling the new one, VECOSELL, is the seller I've ordered all my Italian BRD's of the Dollars trilogy from. It takes a while to cross the seas, but I've gotten 'em all eventually. I see there is also an American seller selling a used one, for a dollar more, which you can obviously receive much more quickly

you can order the more expensive one in the red case http://www.amazon.com/Pugno-Dollari-Versione-Restaurata-Italian/dp/B0041KW6E8/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1388466440&sr=1-2&keywords=per+un+pugno+di+dollari
as I say in my review, my understanding is that no matter which one you order, the discs are identical, it's just that the one in the red case has the physical lobby cards and replica posters, etc. (which are probably in Italian). Beaver discusses the bonus features here http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews42/fistful_of_dollars_blu-ray.htm

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:14:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »

It's funny how the reception on the Internet has changed from "BluRay of the year" to a more critical view.
I haven't received the disc yet (the ebay seller I bought it from hasn't even shipped it yet, I think Undecided).

Let's collect all the negative stuf that has been said about the release so far:
- bad quality English language track
- "What about me?" is actually in Italian on the English language track
- colors look faded / brownish
- around the 39/40 mark a few frames from somewhere else in the movie are randomly spliced in
- the English language track is out of sync in places

Blu-ray of the year, yes, sure.. Well I gained a lot from the internet feedback over the years, so I'm not that sad. But IT IS strange, those Blindmen (& Deaf Smith) writing such misleading money-stealing CRAP about Blu-rays..
So I finally watched it. It was wonderful to see the film that detailed again, last time I saw it in a cinema was 32 years ago. I just love that film. Does anybody know whether it was shot (more or less) chronologically? Because Steiger gets so much better as the film is unfolding (from MESA VERDE on, and especially after DEAD SONS he is quite great. That's why Leone needed him, for the sad close ups. Excellent. And much better on the big screen now Smiley.
That said, the quality of the film out-weighted the BD's flaws, but I was distracted all the time nevertheless.
I still can't overcome the fact that this is such a sloppy BAD job. Why ? WHY ?
Yes, negatives of 'successful' films are often worn down etc. etc. But most of the classics had numerous re-releases etc. And 99% manage to get a decent restoration in the end. Why not GLT? Maybe they should have used a dub-negative or what have you. EASY RIDER for instance, here one reel of the negative was missing altogether! Watch the BD, I always forget which 4 reels are from the original negative, and which reel is from a later generation. They did such a good job with it.. GIU LA TESTA, well if I had been at a restrospective watching an old archive print, I'd say 'very nice print indeed, it survived 40 years..'. But not with CINETECA / ANDREA LEONE / RESTAURATION etc. attached to a brand new print!
The colors change all the time! Sometimes too bright (especially the first 40 minutes or so), sometimes too blueish, a lot of it is too faded, sometimes only yellow and green visible. And then suddenly some very nice-looking takes in-between! At min. 39 there is a 'ghost frame' from a previous scene (??), at min. 61 there is a jumb in a take (missing frame or two), at minute 79 the music has a disturbing knocking sound over it, the last line in Italian. Here and there visible frame line at the top (at least a sign that we see the whole picture, not cropped). What was the story with the cursing ? They curse all the time, so that's great of course. (Out of sync it's just slightly during the first 'stage coach assault' I guess)
IF the bloody negative was in such an awful shape that a better restauration was impossible, they should have included a little 'before and after restauration' featurette for everybody to see what they achieved (or not Smiley). So either THEY DO NOT HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE (which I can't believe really) or THEY DO NOT CARE or THEY ARE THAT ARROGANT.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:43:18 AM by mike siegel » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »

sad to hear.

those "blu ray of the year" posts may have been made by people connected to the studio. fake reviews from interested parties happen all the time

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:09 PM »

Drink didn't you have a question about the music in the last flashback?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »

yeah

so, Mike, which one is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOc13iAmXPc

does the music stop then start again when Sean passes the girl off to Nolan, or does it continue seamlessy?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 02:55:04 AM »

The right one. Nice vintage soundtrack..

Oh, the other one is terrible. I never realized that, probably never even saw / heard it. Does that wrong soundtrack version have all the cursing?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:34 AM »

Mike, just another question. Which language version is your preferred one?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »

I love French Smiley But not with this film...
No, the one on this BD is my favorite. Guess it's the 1971 original English soundtrack ?

English therefore Smiley With a lot of cursing, a bit unusual for that time, that 'fuck you's' etc., or am I wrong ?
The first 1/3 Rod Steiger is a bit too much with his not-really-mexican accent, and his German voice
works better there I feel. Coburn tries a bit too hard as well maybe. An Irish guy should
judge that (anybody?), who am I to comment on that Smiley.

But like the film itself, the last 2/3 are just fine. The other day I really had the notion the film
was shot chronologically more or less. Leone stating he had to bring Steigers over-acting
down with numerous takes etc., it shows in the later parts of the film where he is really
really good and so is his voice (less Steigers idea of a Mexican, and more of a real human being.).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM