Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:29:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013  (Read 37710 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »

Amazon is listing it for $14.99. You may want to lock in the price (you can always cancel later): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA151W4/

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2014, 05:14:32 AM »

My Blu has shipped!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »

I placed the order yesterday (Sunday), which means Amazon will probably ship it today and I'll get it in a few days.

I have 3 Leone BRD's on the way and unfortunately, I'm not too excited about any of them: the new OUATIA, which from what I've been hearing is shit; the new GBU, which from what I've been hearing looks like piss; and DYS, which, from what we've heard from the Europeans on this board isn't good either

but yeah, I'm the sucker that'll buy every version of every Leone movie out there

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

Blu-ray in da house!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »

Get back to us when Blu Ray in da player.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »

And please let us know specifically about which soundtrack they used. (if it's an MGM BRD then I assume they'll use the same soundtrack as the MGM DVD. I'm still not sure which audio is the correct one, we had a big debate about that in the "DYS soundtrack comparison" thread

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2014, 05:13:17 AM »

As expected . . . yellow!

And as far as I can tell, the soundtrack is the same as the one used for the previous DVD.

But the most annoying thing: I cannot access the menu. The disc starts playing the movie immediately, and I can't get to the menu even with the Disc Menu command on my remote. Frayling's commentary can be turned on, of course, because it's one of the separate audio tracks, but all the other extras that are supposed to be on the disc cannot be accessed.

MGM, you are pathetic.

MY OPEN LETTER TO THE MGM HOME VIDEO DIVISION

Dear MGM, I watched your Blu-ray. I do not have the words to adequately convey how I feel about what I saw. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a lifetime of home video viewing. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money back and apologize now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make you read every last word of every post D&D has ever written for the Leone board. That is all.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »

As expected . . . yellow!

And as far as I can tell, the soundtrack is the same as the one used for the previous DVD.

But the most annoying thing: I cannot access the menu. The disc starts playing the movie immediately, and I can't get to the menu even with the Disc Menu command on my remote. Frayling's commentary can be turned on, of course, because it's one of the separate audio tracks, but all the other extras that are supposed to be on the disc cannot be accessed.

MGM, you are pathetic.

MY OPEN LETTER TO THE MGM HOME VIDEO DIVISION

Dear MGM, I watched your Blu-ray. I do not have the words to adequately convey how I feel about what I saw. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a lifetime of home video viewing. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money back and apologize now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make you read every last word of every post D&D has ever written for the Leone board. That is all.

you are complaining about yellow? you were the one who couldn't wait to see the yellow, you were loving the yellow for GBU before you even saw it!

how does it compare with the DVD? which do you prefer?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »

So are you saying... Blu-Ray in da trash? Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »

you are complaining about yellow? you were the one who couldn't wait to see the yellow, you were loving the yellow for GBU before you even saw it!

That was then. Now it seems they want to make everything by Leone yellow. I can see doing it for GBU, and maybe for the Dollars films to package as a unit, but everything? I went back and sampled the 2011 Blu of OUATIA, and I really prefer that to the new colors. And the new DYS has Steiger's face so brown he looks truly Mexican, but even with makeup Steiger never looked like that. And the yellowing makes interiors so murky that details are lost. So I recant my previous liking for yellow.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:16 PM »

So are you saying... Blu-Ray in da trash? Cheesy
Grin Hmmm, yeah, maybe. . . .

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2014, 04:13:54 AM »

Does this mean that the maligned Italian BD is actually the best one to get?

hanshotfirst1138
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2014, 10:44:38 PM »

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, I didn't want to start a whole new thread, and I apologize if I irritate people. I've been doing a bit of research about which Leone releases to buy on Blu-ray, and I'm still hazy on some details. What I've basically gleaned is this: for GBU, Fox have finally fixed the foul-up with the mono on the new single release (While it shouldn't have happened in the first place, kudos to them for doing so!), so outside of the controversy about the color, it sounds like a safe bet since apparently no one thinks to ever restore the theatrical cut. Though the omission of the Italian audio is immensely annoying. For FOD, there was a 4K restoration which premiered at Cannes this year for the 50th anniversary, which may find its way to video at some point (It apparently "depressed" Quentin Tarantino since it wasn't 35mm  Roll Eyes.) In the interim period, it sounds like the US releases are foul-up downmixes and my best bet is either the German or Italian release (Apparently one has lossless audio, the other doesn't.). For AFDM, it sounds like the German release is the best at present, maybe it'll get a restoration someday. The odd man out is DYS. Is the US release a downmix too? I've heard conflicting things. If it is, what's my best bet? Is the Italian release the proper mono, if it even included the English track? I guess I'm fine with the US release of OUATITW, I understand that actually wasn't messed up. I would like all of the extras too, those Frayling commentaries are gold, but could just get the anthology boxed set for those, probably used, for a pittance. Thanks to any answers.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

From what I've read the Italian DYS has the correct mono which includes the correct soundtrack, however it is not perfect quality and is slightly out of sync in places with the last line in Italian for some reason. However, I don't own the disc as I was waiting to hear about the MGM release first and also like to bundle any orders to save on shipping when not domestic for me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »

so I finally watched the DYS BRD from MGM. As I assumed, the music on the final flashback is the same as the SE DVD - the music stops then starts again when Sean passes the girl off to Nolan.

RE: the image quality: It really didn't seem that yellow to me. A moment before watching this, I had watched the Fox 2014 BRD of GBU, and that is awfully insanely yellow; maybe I was expecting DYS to be the same thing and when it wasn;t that bad, it didn't seem yellow to me at all. I don't know. But to me, I didn't have a problem with the look of the BRD. Whether it's an improvement or a downgrade as compared to the DVD, I'm not sure. I can't compare them side -by-side, all I could do is watch one after the other, and neither one jumped out at me as being clearly better than the other, I don't think. (Again, I have a 32" TV; maybe on a bigger screen there would be a bigger distinction.) Not that either one is amazing, but both look decent to me.

Am I totally missing the yellow here just because this isn't nearly as yellow as the GBU disc? If you compare the BRD to the DVD, is the BRD really much more yellow? Didn't seem like it to my naked eye.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM