Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:07:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013  (Read 37563 times)
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »

I believe you're confusing the MGM BD with the Italian (01 Distribution) BD, which is...

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4957&disc2=3713&cap1=46173&cap2=34368&art=full&image=1&hd_multiID=1542&action=1&lossless=1#vergleich

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »

I was under the impression that the MGM BRD (the only BRD of DYS ever released in America) was yellow, from this post by DJ:

As expected . . . yellow!

And as far as I can tell, the soundtrack is the same as the one used for the previous DVD.

But the most annoying thing: I cannot access the menu. The disc starts playing the movie immediately, and I can't get to the menu even with the Disc Menu command on my remote. Frayling's commentary can be turned on, of course, because it's one of the separate audio tracks, but all the other extras that are supposed to be on the disc cannot be accessed.

MGM, you are pathetic.

MY OPEN LETTER TO THE MGM HOME VIDEO DIVISION

Dear MGM, I watched your Blu-ray. I do not have the words to adequately convey how I feel about what I saw. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a lifetime of home video viewing. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money back and apologize now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make you read every last word of every post D&D has ever written for the Leone board. That is all.

but when I just watched it, it didn't seem yellow to me. At least nothing compared to the yellowness of the new GBU BRD.

btw, in regard to DJ's point about the disc menu not coming up: It is true that when you stick the disc into the player, the main feature immediately begins playing. But you can access the menu by pressing the "Title Menu - Pop-Up" button your remote. There are two menu buttons on the remote of my SAMSUNG blu-ray player. There is a "Disc Menu" button and a "Title Menu Pop-Up" button. When I press the former, nothing happens; but when I press the latter, the menu indeed pops up.

As a general matter, RE: those two buttons: sometimes they do the same thing, sometimes they are different. Generally, the "Disc Menu" button brings you to the "home page," the main menu; whereas the "Title Menu Pop-up" button brings a pop-up menu onto the screen while you are watching the movie point is, you can access the menu while you are watching the movie, rather than interrupting the movie to go back to the home screen and choose from the main menu. All the menu options are available, but rather than having to choose from a main menu home page, those menu options pop up on the screeen as you are watching the movie. IMO this is a positive, not a negative: As soon as you stick the disc into the player, the movie starts playing. No previews, no annoying nonsense. The movie starts playing immediately. And if you do want the menu (e.g. to access the bonus features) you can access them on the pop-up menu while the movie is playing.

DJ, I think you have to write MGM an apology letter.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:45:30 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »

OK, thanks Drink, I'll try what you suggest to access the menu. But I'm not apologizing. The BD is still too yellow.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »

you really think the DYS BRD looks that yellow?

The GBU looks awfully yellow. The film of FOD that we saw at MoMA looked very yellow. To me, the DYS BRD didn't look anything close to that. It really didn't jump out at me as being yellow. Maybe if I watched the DVD and BRD side-by-side, one would look more yellow to me than the other, but just watching the BRD on its own, it really didn't jump out at me as being yellow.
Just to confirm: You got the American MGM BRD, right?

Anyway, so whenever you want to watch DYS, you're gonna watch the DVD? Do you like the DVD? I think the DVD is fine (as is the BRD), in regard to the image quality. (Audio is a whole other issue, of course.)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »

The DVD is fine. I'm not sure if I'm going to be watching the BD much, but now that I know I can access the menu, I might. I have yet to do a DVD/BD comparison, but I'm pretty sure the BD is yellower than the DVD. But I'll have to check to make sure.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM