Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2020, 11:13:53 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
: Blu-ray to be released Dec 2013  ( 73227 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #135 : December 10, 2019, 11:52:23 PM »

So the image transfer of this disc, as well as the last one, are the same as the original MGM BRD?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #136 : December 11, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »

The set has 2 discs with 2 versions, one based on the MGM master, and the other one taken from the Italian master. When the look of the Italian master, according to Mike, has been changed, then they probably also worked on the colors of the MGM master. Maybe a bit less yellow?

It also seems that there are some more differences between the Italian version and the MGM one. Maybe some alternative shots, or some slightly different edited scenes, or a different scoring in some scenes. At least the runtimes are different, but I think overall it is nothing of importance.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #137 : December 11, 2019, 01:43:00 AM »

What about the music/dialogue? Same as the MGM? Or the earlier version?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #138 : December 11, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »

Well, I can only guess, but they use only the original mono audio, so everything should be allright.

But actually, I long lost track what was were and why wrong ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #139 : December 11, 2019, 01:15:08 PM »

Well, I can only guess, but they use only the original mono audio, so everything should be allright.

But actually, I long lost track what was were and why wrong ...

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10181.0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #140 : December 21, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Helpful: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=48926

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #141 : January 08, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »

In da house!

Haven't had a chance to check the discs, but the 60-page booklet is quite a treat. Three articles (one by Simon Ward, two by Howard Hughes) and one interview with the guy who made the original"A Fistful of Dynamite" poster (Robert McGinnis, still alive at 93). All the pieces are new (2019), published for the booklet. There are a number of photos, some in b&w, some in color, some well-known, some seen by me for the first time. Some poster art/ lobby cards are included, also the illustration for the "novelisation." The front cover features the McGinnis artwork without any words.

The disc case has reversible cover art: you can either use the "A Fistful of Dynamite" side (McGinnis art) or the "Giu' la Testa" side (Italian poster art).

Wow, the booklet alone is worth the price of admission (to coin a phrase).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #142 : January 09, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »

As everybody on this board knows, there are two different English-language versions of the  Juan-against-the-wall scene. That's the scene where Mallory rescues him from the firing squad by blowing up the wall and then swooping in to pick him up on his motorcycle. Just before blowing the wall Mallory gives Juan a heads up, by first whistling his theme, and then speaking a warning. In one version the warning is "Short fuse" but in others it is "Duck, you sucker."

Years ago when I had the MGM laserdisc I had audio that provided the "Short fuse" warning. On subsequent home video versions I think we've been getting the "Duck, you sucker" comment.  I just checked, and that is what's on the audio of both the MGM blu and the Kino blu. The new UK import from Masters of Cinema, with the original English mono, has "short fuse."

Interestingly, the disc with the Italian language version also uses "short fuse"  (or words to that effect . . .  something something cord.) Is there any alternative Italian language versions? If not, I'm going to assume SL wanted "short fuse" and that the use of "Duck, you sucker" was a later John Kirk substitution.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #143 : January 10, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »

Watched the supplements last night. Props are due Mike Siegel, whose copies of production prints were used in 3 featurettes, with an additional segment dedicated to the posters and lobby cards in his collection. The images are truly beautiful, a real treat to view. Thanks so much, Mike!

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #144 : January 12, 2020, 05:06:46 AM »

Thanks Dave! Originally I had planned to produce these 4 featurettes for the US KINO Blu-ray (I had produced similar featurettes for all three KINO Dollar Blu-ray's), but they forgot to tell me about a release date so it was too late... I'm glad they saw the light of day now anyway, thanks to EUREKA!

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #145 : March 22, 2020, 03:05:02 AM »

As everybody on this board knows, there are two different English-language versions of the  Juan-against-the-wall scene. That's the scene where Mallory rescues him from the firing squad by blowing up the wall and then swooping in to pick him up on his motorcycle. Just before blowing the wall Mallory gives Juan a heads up, by first whistling his theme, and then speaking a warning. In one version the warning is "Short fuse" but in others it is "Duck, you sucker."

Years ago when I had the MGM laserdisc I had audio that provided the "Short fuse" warning. On subsequent home video versions I think we've been getting the "Duck, you sucker" comment.  I just checked, and that is what's on the audio of both the MGM blu and the Kino blu. The new UK import from Masters of Cinema, with the original English mono, has "short fuse."

Interestingly, the disc with the Italian language version also uses "short fuse"  (or words to that effect . . .  something something cord.) Is there any alternative Italian language versions? If not, I'm going to assume SL wanted "short fuse" and that the use of "Duck, you sucker" was a later John Kirk substitution.

For the record, the French version, supervised by Leone, says "short fuse" (m?che courte). But I don't think it tells us anything, as "DYS" wouldn't make any sense in French.

« : March 30, 2020, 02:07:21 AM noodles_leone »

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #146 : March 29, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »

It's hardly idiomatic in English either.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #147 : March 30, 2020, 02:07:50 AM »

Yeah but it isn't even the title in the French version.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #148 : March 30, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »

I know, the French title is definitely the best. And was, at least, what Leone wanted (whether it was original intent or not, as we've discussed elsewhere)

Surely, however, there is a somewhat idiomatic way to say "keep your head down" in French? I suppose "baisse la t?te" would mean more like "hang the head low" though?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #149 : March 31, 2020, 01:18:13 AM »

Baisse la t?te would work great in a literal way (it is actual french) and would also (somewhat) work in metaphorical way, but it doesn't sound great.

"Baisse la t?te, ducon/cr?tin/connard" would sound a bit better but I wouldn't know how to direct an actor to say it and make it sound good. It's probably doable with talented voice actors though.

« : March 31, 2020, 01:19:23 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines