Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:54:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  T-Men (1947)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: T-Men (1947)  (Read 1159 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2013, 04:56:30 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039881/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

T-Men (1947)

Previous post by cigar joe: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg149623#msg149623
T Men (1947) Dir by Anthony Mann, with Charles McGraw, Dennis O'Keefe, Mary Meade, Alfred Ryder   , Wallace Ford, and June Lockhart. The story is basically two Treasury agents O'Brien (O'Keef) and Genaro Ryder) infiltrate a counterfeiting ring with good paper using their raided plates as the bait. Its a good procedural type of Noir, I'll give it a 7/10.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:02:23 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:02:01 AM »

This is another crappy narrated police procedural. I can't think of a single one of those narrated police procedurals that I'd say is a very good movie. Maybe these types of movies were interesting to people back then who had no idea about sophisticated police procedures, maybe to them this was as exciting as to people watching police investigative shows today. Or to patriotic people who love movies with people preaching to us about how wonderful our good men of government that place their bodies and lives and hearts and souls above all else for the sake of keeping the country safe, etc.

As I've said previously, when used improperly, narration can just be a tool for the filmmaker to easily impart a part of the story to the reader without actually filming it; and it can lessen the suspense. The narrated police procedural is just a crappy sub-genre that is happily long gone.

If you like noir visuals, this film does that real well. Also, the acting is good, and I'll specifically mention Charles McGraw, one of noir's (and Western's) greatest heavies; and Wallace Ford, who IMO looks and sound like football coach Chip Kelly (currently of the Philadelphia Eagles, formerly of the University of Oregon).

I give this a 6/10

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:07:53 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:54:40 AM »

Re watched great film.....  dd you are so wrong, the short piece with agent Genaro's wife is outstanding, Charles McGraw is great upping it another notch 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21648

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »

Re watched great film.....  dd you are so wrong

Yes, really. Crappy?? I constantly feel I have to defend all those old Noirs. I mean Defend! Like an attorney, and I'm not even getting paid for it. I will defend them with my last breath. (Was that melodramatic enough??)

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »

Yes, really. Crappy?? I constantly feel I have to defend all those old Noirs. I mean Defend! Like an attorney, and I'm not even getting paid for it. I will defend them with my last breath. (Was that melodramatic enough??)

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »

This film played on Noir Alley yesterday. I saw it, and while I agree with every word I wrote in my previous post, I will raise my rating to 7/10, as I enjoyed it more this time. I was able to enjoy it despite these very real flaws. A friggin' awful use of narration. Eddie Muller was extremely harsh on that real-life Treasury official who gives the intro. I'll post the videos of Muller's discussion when I get a chance.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »

I love T-Men, not even the narration bothers me.

Eddie Muller was extremely harsh on that real-life Treasury official who gives the intro.

I agree with that. Many of the semi-documentary Noirs had a “crime does not pay” message delivered by law enforcement officials with stentorian voices including heavy patriotic flag-waving. I call it The Sermon. It simply has to be ignored. Once it's over the movies get better.

One of my favorite Bs is Highway 301 which starts of with no less than three real governors delivering the usual message. It's a bit much.

Jessica Rabbit
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »

I love T-Men, not even the narration bothers me.

I agree with that. Many of the semi-documentary Noirs had a “crime does not pay” message delivered by law enforcement officials with stentorian voices including heavy patriotic flag-waving. I call it The Sermon. It simply has to be ignored. Once it's over the movies get better.

One of my favorite Bs is Highway 301 which starts of with no less than three real governors delivering the usual message. It's a bit much.

Yea Highway 301 overdoes it a tad

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »

By D&D's reckoning, Highway 301 should be considered one of the worst noirs ever. Yet it's one of the best. Just hit the scan button at the beginning, then enjoy the show. This is the difference between adults watching old films and kids watching them.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »

That's great news - there's some beautiful cinematography in this that deserves the blu-ray treatment.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 12:25:00 AM »

Eddie Muller's intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsLpudt3dng&feature=youtu.be

Eddie Muller's afterword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzJmO35bPI&feature=youtu.be

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:39:56 AM »

Thought I had watched this in the '80's but I was probably wrong. Visually is amazing, every shot is good for a picture, but then you expect it from the director. What's wrong? Too long, it ends up making the villains look like idiots not getting hip to the agents identities when, in reality, even a doubt would have induced them to get rid of them. The overvoice narration didn't bug me: it was in the style of newsreels, can't see anything wrong with that.
A particular which I found curious is that the hotel keeper is really able to speak impeccable italian with a neapolitan accent while Genero is made to speak, phonetically, an italian with sicilian  terms and accent: that care was rare in the movies until at least The Godfather. Anyway 7/10.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »

Thank you D & D. I'm still laughing about the fact that the picture was partially financed by the mob, according to Muller. I love it.

Jessica Rabbit
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 02:53:15 AM »

TCM also showed The Street With No Name, which is a better example of the police procedural; that movie ditches the police-procedural narration crap early on, and becomes a solid movie. T-Men is also enjoyable, but that irritating crap keeps sticking it's nose back in. The Street With No Name basically ditches that crap pretty quickly.

By the way, as a general rule, I find that all police-procedurals are somewhere between a 6/10-7.5/10. They always move briskly enough and are decent enough to get at least a mediocre 6/10 rating, but even the best generally don't get above 7.5/10. I've given an 8/10 to a very few, but that's all. The entire sub-genre never even had a single great or near-great movie.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:59:11 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM