Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 03:47:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Lone Ranger (2013)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lone Ranger (2013)  (Read 3653 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »

Mike, I just watched "Quién sabe?" (A Bullet for the General) (1966) a great Damiani film that's often overlooked, looks great on the 50 inch too.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »

I screen QUIEN SABEN every year Smiley
One of my TOP 10 Italian Western. Volonte made only few, but all of those are excellent. Good ol' commie..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

I screen QUIEN SABEN every year Smiley
One of my TOP 10 Italian Western. Volonte made only few, but all of those are excellent. Good ol' commie..

Just for the record: its director does not consider it to be a W.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »

I know..
It plays in Mexico, not in the American west.
To Damiani it was an insult.
Kubrick probably never mentioned the word 'Science Fiction' when it came to 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY  Smiley

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »

Kubrick probably never mentioned the word 'Science Fiction' when it came to 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY  Smiley
Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »

I'd rate the first PIRATE 7/10. Great 'summer' film indeed. I expected nothing (Bruckheimer Smiley) and loved it really. Keira never looked better, the 'new' Johnny... just a joy. Great fun. Truly another CRIMSON PIRATE, after all those years of mediocre or embarrasing Pirate films.
As for the others, and numerous other 'family blockbusters', they commit a crime I just can't forgive. They disregard the most important rule in
movies, DO NOT BORE THE AUDIENCE. It is a mortal sin Smiley.

The first Pirates holds up really well. I've watched Dead Man's Chest three times and still hate it. My feelings on At World's End are complicated; I saw it right before high school graduation, so nostalgia overwhelms my critical faculties on that one. I barely remember the fourth, though I've seen it more recently than the others.

I do agree that all of the movies are ridiculously overlong, even the solid first one. Their main failing, especially in the sequels, is trying too hard to be clever with absurd plot twists etc. Still have no idea what the purpose of the cannibal island scenes in Dead Man's Chest or Johnny Depp licking crabs in At World's End are except padding out the run time to "epic length." But I do really admire the ambition to be something more than your standard issue summer blockbusters, even if they don't quite achieve it.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:20:00 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »

Anyway, I thought I'd posted my review here but evidently not. Enjoy or excoriate.

In three weeks, The Lone Ranger went from Disney's next blockbuster tent pole to this summer's biggest flop. It's probably the most backhanded of complements to say Ranger isn't anywhere near as bad as the reviews indicate. Sure, it's Pirates of the Caribbean out West, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

John Reid (Armie Hammer) is an idealistic lawyer returning to Colby, Texas. His train's held up by the gang of Butch Cavendish (William Fitchner), a sadistic outlaw rumored to be a wendigo, or evil spirit. Also on the train is Tonto (Johnny Depp), a crack brained Comanche Indian who reluctantly befriends John. After Butch kills John's brother (James Badge Dale), John gets reborn as The Lone Ranger, a vengeance-seeking, mask-wearing vigilante. He and Tonto contend not only with Butch, but Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson), an amiable Union Pacific official who's not what he seems.

Besides filming in Monument Valley, Gore Verbinski lards Ranger with homages to The Searchers (the farmhouse massacre), The Wild Bunch (a shootout juxtaposed with Shall We Gather at the River?) and Once Upon a Time in the West (too many to count). Verbinski enjoys playing John Ford for awhile, but ultimately returns to the Pirates blueprint: straight-laced hero teamed with sleazy sidekick; the double-dealing corporate bigwig; villains who hate each other more than the heroes; "progress" equated with mass murder; Johnny Depp in strange makeup. Verbinski demonstrates the thin line between hack and auteur.

The Lone Ranger nonetheless works, jettisoning Pirates' more absurd plotting and supernatural elements for streamlined storytelling. The buddy dynamic works pretty well, and Verbinski spends enough time shading in supporting players that the interstitial material carries some weight. The main focus though are the go-for-broke, Rube Goldbergian set pieces Verbinski specializes in. Attempting to one-up Buster Keaton, Verbinski opens with a raucous train robbery/chase scene, topping it later on with a spectacular running gun battle complete with William Tell Overture. CGI-aided or no, it hits all the right action movie notes.

Admittedly, Ranger runs long at 149 minutes. The framing device with an antiquated Tonto is worthless, while a digressive set piece featuring ivory-legged hooker Red (Helena Bonham Carter) goes nowhere. There's much puerile liberal whining about corporate greed and maltreatment of Indians, culminating in a massacre straight from Soldier Blue. And the movie undercuts its dark tone and grisly violence with jokes about horse poop and killer bunnies. Still, Butch eviscerating his victims in this family film is scarcely less disturbing than Only God Forgives.

Johnny Depp plays Tonto as, essentially, Jack Sparrow with pidgin English and a bird on his head. Your mileage may vary whether this amuses or annoys. Armie Hammer (The Social Network) proves perfect casting as the straight arrow John Reed. Why this charismatic actor can't catch a break (this marks his third flop after Mirror, Mirror and J. Edgar) is beyond comprehension. William Fitchner makes a ferocious baddie. With his pork pie hat and scruffy beard, Tom Wilkinson uncannily recalls James Mason in Lord Jim. Ruth Wilson plays the perfunctory love interest, while Helena Bonham Carter's part amounts to an extended cameo.

It's no fun defending a movie everyone else hates, but dammit if I didn't enjoy The Lone Ranger. I was grinning like a kid during the wild gunfight/train chase at the film's climax, and really that's all I demand from my summer blockbusters. 7/10

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-lone-ranger.html

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:22:27 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

I know..
It plays in Mexico, not in the American west.
To Damiani it was an insult.

Just for the record. I also always considered it a (S)W.

OC, 'cause it isn't science fiction. Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 02:54:45 AM »

3/10 for the first Pirates?

Yes. I'm aware it's (by far) the favorite of most people, and I know I'm a little biased: it was a very successful movie that was released at the highest point of the Orlandomania, and I saw it far too much within a short amount of time because of a girl I knew at the time. So maybe my 3 should be a 4.

However:

1) It's to the 2 following films (I'm forgetting the 4th installment on purpose: that one is just amateurish crap by another team trying to imitate Gore Verbinski's work) what FoD is to GBU (to me): it s not uninteresting, but it seems more like something between regular Disney garbage and a first draft at "what could a Pirates movie be like nowadays".

2) Don't forget Johnny Depp created his own character out of the blue. And he had to fight the production executives to do it. Without his efforts, the first Pirates would have been much closer to what it was supposed to be from the beginning: a cheap costume movie with Bloom and Depp just being beautiful and sexy. So Depp fought, and we got this cool character, so that's good. The fact that he had to struggle is a reminder of what this movie was supposed to be.

3) Unlike what most people say, even if it's shorter than Pirates 2 and 3, even if it's more "solid" (as in "more rigorous" or "more square") its last 40 minutes are far more unbearable than all the boring parts of 2 and 3 put together. They're like a caricature of everything that won't work in the following films.

Pirates 2 and 3 are heavily flawed, but from time to time they reach this tiny spot where I can feel adventure.

"The wind is on our side, boys. It's all we need."

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:56:31 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM