Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 12:24:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  RIP Joan Fontaine
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Joan Fontaine  (Read 3389 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 03:37:57 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/olivia-de-havilland-shocked-and-saddened-by-sister-joan-fontaines-death/

AP December 16, 2013, 8: 49 PM
Olivia de Havilland "shocked and saddened" by sister Joan Fontaine's death

NEW YORK - In rare public remarks about her sister and fellow Oscar-winning actress, Olivia de Havilland mourned the loss of Joan Fontaine, with whom de Havilland reportedly feuded for much of their lives.
De Havilland on Monday issued a statement through the DGRW Talent Agency saying she was "shocked and saddened" by the news and that she was grateful for "the many kind expressions of sympathies." Fontaine, 96, died in her sleep Sunday at her home in Carmel, Calif.

The 97-year-old de Havilland, perhaps best known as Melanie in "Gone With the Wind," is a longtime resident of Paris and over the years often declined to talk about her sister.

De Havilland and Fontaine are among Hollywood's most famous siblings, stars from Hollywood's studio era known for their many screen achievements and for a rivalry that at times became public, especially after they were both nominated for best actress in 1941. Fontaine won for "Suspicion," and later recalled the moment her name was announced at the Academy Awards ceremony.

"All the animus we'd felt toward each other as children, the hair-pullings, the savage wrestling matches, the time Olivia fractured my collarbone, all came rushing back in kaleidoscopic imagery," she wrote in "No Bed of Roses," a memoir published in 1978.

"My paralysis was total. I felt Olivia would spring across the table and grab me by the hair. I felt age 4, being confronted by my older sister. Damn it, I'd incurred her wrath again!"

De Havilland went on to win two Oscars, but that apparently didn't warm her to Fontaine. After de Havilland won in 1947 for "To Each His Own," Fontaine came forward to congratulate her and was rebuffed. De Havilland's publicist said at the time: "This goes back for years and years, ever since they were children."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 03:51:17 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/olivia-de-havilland-shocked-and-saddened-by-sister-joan-fontaines-death/

De Havilland went on to win two Oscars, but that apparently didn't warm her to Fontaine. After de Havilland won in 1947 for "To Each His Own," Fontaine came forward to congratulate her and was rebuffed. De Havilland's publicist said at the time: "This goes back for years and years, ever since they were children."

what the AP fails to mention is that after Fontaine won the Oscar for Suspicion a few years earlier, she rebuffed de Havilland's attempts at congratulating her.

(All I know about the Fontaine-de Havilland rivalry is what I read on their Wikipedia pages; this section "Sibling Rivalry" which seems to be largely taken from biographer Charles Higham is virtually identical on each of their pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_de_Havilland#Sibling_rivalry )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »

TCM will have a Joan Fontaine tribute TODAY, Sunday, Dec. 29, from 6:30 AM till 8:00 PM EST. Films include Blond Cheat, The Women, Born to be Bad, Ivanhoe, The Constant Nymph, Suspicion, and Rebecca.

schedule here: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2013-12-29

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »

I hope you took the chance to see The Constant Nymph.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »

I hope you took the chance to see The Constant Nymph.

yeah, I dvr'd it, that's the next movie I'll be watching  Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »

French blu of Letter From an Unknown Woman in da house!

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »

I have the Olive films release. I wonder how they compare?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:27 AM »

Does the Olive have the Tad Gallagher video essay?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »

No supplements.

It's this one: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Letter-from-an-Unknown-Woman-Blu-ray/50818/#Review

I was wondering more about image quality. The Olive one looks really good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »

Well, I don't have the Olive to compare with, but the French one looks good. Maybe we'll get some kind of comparison from either the Beev or Blu-ray.com.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »

Blu-ray.com weighs in:
Presented in an aspect ratio of 1.34:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Max Ophuls' Letter from an Unknown Woman arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of French label Carlotta Films.

The high-definition transfer is not identical to the one Olive Films used for their release of this beautiful film in the United States. This being said, detail and clarity are fairly similar, while during close-ups and larger panoramic shots fluidity is equally pleasing. There are no major discrepancies in terms of color saturation -- the balance between the blacks and whites is virtually identical and the same range of nuanced grays is present. The encoding on the Carlotta release, however, is superior. This becomes quite obvious if one projects the two releases and compares identical close-ups as grain is indeed better resolved on the Carlotta release. However, on both releases there are also minor grain fluctuations which are clearly inherited. Additionally, on the Carlotta release I spotted traces of extremely light sharpening, though my guess is that the overwhelming majority of viewers will miss it. Finally, it is obvious that large debris, scratches cuts, blemishes, and stains have been carefully removed. (On the Olive Films release tiny flecks occasionally pop up). To sum it all up, Carlotta's technical presentation of Max Ophuls' film is clearly superior, but I think that the people who will notice the improvements will be primarily those who view their films on large screens, or better yet, project them. (Note: This is a Region-B "locked" Blu-ray release. Therefore, you must have a native Region-B or Region-Free PS3 or SA in order to access its content).

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

Thanks - sounds like you can't really go wrong with either then.

By the way, Olive films is releasing Max Ophuls' "Caught" in July.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Letter-from-an-Unknown-Woman-Blu-ray/192534/#Review
The release is sourced from a recent 4K restoration that was completed by Paramount Pictures and the film now looks the very best it ever has. I own two more releases -- the original North American release from Olive Films and French release from Carlotta Films -- and I can assure you that the improvements are indeed substantial. In fact, I would say that you don't even have to have a very large TV or projector to appreciate the strength of the new transfer. Basically, the entire film now has a wonderfully balanced and consistent density that ensures that very pleasing organic appearance that proper 4K restorations deliver; from start to finish depth is also excellent. Grain is finer and nicely resolved. Another important aspect of the new presentation that should be mentioned is the better grading. I did some tests with the Region-B release and the new release has an all-around better range of nuances -- it is marginally darker but with finer shadow details and a wider spectrum of grays. There are no traces of problematic sharpening adjustments. Image stability is excellent.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »

Thanks. I love this movie, I own the previous Blu-ray, Ill be double dipping  Afro

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM