Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 25, 2024, 01:56:41 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Women don't like Leone, or Westerns?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Women don't like Leone, or Westerns?  ( 11510 )
Rinaldo
Road Apple

« : August 05, 2004, 05:28:54 PM »

I have never been with a woman who liked Leone. Girlfriends, a wife, more girlfriends (to her credit, one of them did like him) and another wife. These women had discerning tastes in literature and film, but they were no-go on Leone. In my experience many women don't like westerns either (although my wife loves HBO's Deadwood, making her the first woman in my life to like a western)

What do you folks think? I'm new to these boards and am sure there are women here who like Leone?

Hope I didn't start a controversy.

Naldo

???

visitor
Bandido

« #1 : August 05, 2004, 05:35:59 PM »

I have never been with a woman who liked Leone. Girlfriends, a wife, more girlfriends (to her credit, one of them did like him) and another wife. These women had discerning tastes in literature and film, but they were no-go on Leone. In my experience many women don't like westerns either (although my wife loves HBO's Deadwood, making her the first woman in my life to like a western)

What do you folks think? I'm new to these boards and am sure there are women here who like Leone?

Hope I didn't start a controversy.

Naldo

???

well, I'm not a woman but

The only woman in my life I ever loved (besides my wife and I was already married)... I said to her, "ever seen THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY?"and she replied  "How many times...?" And I said MY NAME IS NOBODY and she said Terrence Hill? and I said BIG GUNDOWN? and she  siad "How's the music go?"

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #2 : August 06, 2004, 02:22:35 AM »

My sister love OUAITW and like FFDM very much. She loves also one scene in GBU: the "couple steps back" scene.

But one of the most important reasons why she do like those movies is the way Clint and Bronson are shot: she is 15, and like all the nice-looking men.

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #3 : August 06, 2004, 02:30:40 AM »

I think it's the notion of a western that puts the fairer sex off rather than Leone.  My daughter (nearly 14) loves GBU.  The fact that she's mad on horses made the idea of watching it more palatable to start with but she soon started pestering with questions because she could't bear not knowing what was going to happen (as kids do - no patience you see).  I'm not keen on romantic comedies but I'm sure there's a genius of a director out there who can change my opinion.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

« #4 : August 06, 2004, 04:22:26 AM »

I remember this topic has been discussed about a year ago. Turns out that only 5 women are members of this site.
Guess that it is basically due the fact that westerns are perceived as typical male movies.
In Leone's case, you must add some violence which women generally don't like plus the fact that (luckily) there are no romantic love stories etc.
Women I know who have seen Leone's movies tend to agree that he is a great director, but did not like the stories as such.
OUTIA seems to get higher scores with women, perhaps because women play an important role in this movie.

Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #5 : August 06, 2004, 05:34:24 AM »

I dated a girl once and her favorite film of all time was OUATITW - I should have married her (in fact, I bought her the dvd for a present recently)! Over the years I have some women who like Leone's movies - a few who loved the Eastwood films, mainly for Clint I suspect, but OUATITW seems to be the one women like the most, in my experience. I screened 'West' for a girl I was friends with once and she wanted to watch it again right away after it was finished! One girl I know loved OUATIA and described it as 'beautiful', so there are a few out there!

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #6 : August 06, 2004, 09:38:55 AM »

most women i know have never heard of sergio leone, but those that have are generally apathetic, perhaps because theres no-one to relate with unless they relate with prostitutes and tarts.  ;D

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #7 : August 07, 2004, 03:10:09 AM »

I don't know much girls who like Leone's films.  My girlfriend only saw FFDM and pieces of OUTIW (soon I will oblige her to see all).  She liked FFDM, mostly for Clint Eastwood, declaring that he's sexier than me (my girlfriend declared that, not Clint Eastwood).  Can you believe it.
Probably his films are real male films.  I always have the feeling that a film like GBU is a film for REAL MAN, played by REAL MAN, no sissies, but real tough blokes.  No Meg Ryan, no Disneyesque morality, no American censors, just this film(s) made of one piece.  It brings back those good ol' days, when feminism was far far away and men ruled the world.  ;)

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Bill Carson

« #8 : August 10, 2004, 02:12:44 PM »

8)  you see for me, this is such an interesting topic as in my experience, the only woman in my life who liked Leone films, GBU in particular, was my late mother; it was she in fact who introduced me to the greatest film ever made. as some of you gringos have mentioned, these are tough, gritty films with little or no time for female character development (OUATIA of course, is an exception), no in-depth love stories and let's face it, women get hurt in these films (some sick, sadistic part of me always enjoys Angel-Eyes' 'encounter' with Maria) and I think it is true that most women have very little idea who Leone is. come to think of it, I don't really know ANY females who like westerns in general. years ago, I tried to get my then-girlfriend to watch YOUNG GUNS on video, she said it was boring and had a depressing ending. oh well, I don't have much love for Keanu Reeves' A WALK IN THE CLOUDS...

mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

« #9 : September 14, 2004, 07:50:47 AM »

My mum loves GBU especially Tuco's scene outside the sherrifs. In fact she introduced the film to me.

Judas! You sold my hide!

« : September 14, 2004, 07:51:22 AM mortimerforever »

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
Lewis Hawk
Bandido

"Creuse..."

« #10 : September 14, 2004, 09:56:12 AM »

I recently have oblige my girlfriend to see FAFDM, she said after seing it that it was "funny" (just "funny" you know!) and i think she only said that to make me happy because when i told her that we'll see GBU together she said "so.... don't you have any other dvd?" So we'll see "The bridges of madison county" (wonderful film, but clint has no gun no poncho and no cigarillos in it!!! :'()
If women like westerns it means that they are in love with us to support it....

Samantha
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #11 : November 04, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »

I tend to agree that generally speaking Westerns are are men's genre, although I know plenty of exceptions.

I was never much into in Westerns when I lived in New England, but when I moved to Arizona they became more intriguing as I developed an interest in the history of geography of the region.  It would be interesting to know if there are any regional differences regarding film preferences, but somehow I doubt it.

The real clincher, though, was seeing Lee Van Cleef in Union uniform in GBU.  That guy had one heck of a nice body.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #12 : November 04, 2004, 12:44:52 PM »

ive heard lvc described lots of ways but never having a nice body...i saw him topless in captain apache and that was enough 4 me lol  ;D, but samantha ur a better authority on that subject im sure, welcome to the board!  :)

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #13 : November 04, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »

I wanted to known how many women are there on this forum?

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14 : November 05, 2004, 03:41:21 AM »

not so many i'm afraid...
my girlfirend loves OUATITW... may be that's why she didn't run away when i started talking with her :)
but i think that women don't like westerns. I have almost never heard a man saying "i don't like westerns", but so much girls or women did say that to me... which is just ridiculous.
And leone's movies are typical men movies. I think that when a man whatch gbu, he is dreaming of beeing blondie, but only a few women would be dreaming of having blondie in her bed...
Ford's movies were much more for men and women... one point is that in his movies, there were more women, and a woman watching these movies could identify to these characters... do you know any girl/woman who would like to be Jill?

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines