Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:23:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Salvation (2014)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Salvation (2014)  (Read 2644 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »

"In 1870s America, a peaceful American settler kills his family's murderer which unleashes the fury of a notorious gang leader. His cowardly fellow townspeople then betray him, forcing him to hunt down the outlaws alone."

A new Danish (!) western starring Mads Mikkelsen and directed by Kristian Levring.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNZKw5qAAs

For some time now I've had a principle: If there's a new western running at the movie theater, I'll go see it. But I guess I'll break that principle this time. This just looks bad.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

Eric Cantona? wtf?

Weird. I'll definitely not see it in theater but I'll put in on TV as soon as possible while doing somethign else. Some shots do look cool.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »

Official selection in Cannes. They just showed a few images during the opening ceremony.

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »

Official selection in Cannes. They just showed a few images during the opening ceremony.
You there?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »

No no it's broadcasted on TV. Cannes is kind of THE thing here in France. The main cultural event of the year.

I won't go there until I've got something to sell (or in selection, but having a feature to sell would already be nice).

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:30:57 PM »

I couldn't resist going to see this after all. The ticket was only five euros, so what the hell. Well, it turned out to be even worse than I thought. Just bullshit. Bad script, bad acting, bad directing, bad cinematography, bad editing, bad music, bad color grading, bad greenscreen and CGI. Points for the effort of making a western in the first place, some good set design and the OUATITW references (which are plenty but often pretty stupid). The worst film I've seen this year (even worse than Snowpiercer) and the worst Danish film I've ever seen.

3/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 08:17:39 AM »

The worst film I've seen this year (even worse than Snowpiercer) . . .

3/10
Ouch! Double ouch!

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 04:26:56 AM »

Ah, there's a topic on this already...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:29:31 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2720680/

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 04:31:21 AM »

Eric Cantona? wtf?

Yeah, very queer.

Though before actually reviewing the movie I'll tell ya: he's plain bad here. (I almost wrote misused, which would be absurd.)

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 05:07:07 AM »

I didn't think it was that bad, but it wasn't very good either.

So, the Danes are making Ws now...

(Really, a very atypical start of the year.)

The movie is what I thought a W made by Danes would look and feel like in first place. Which is something I never thought of... Anyhow, the movie is sorta gliding between the American Old West interpretation of a place where something important is actually happening, and the typical European stylized character roller-coaster with overabundance of violence and nihilism. Hence, regarding the first point: it lacks a proper villain and a cause for the whole movie. Although it is nominally there, the story with the gang leader doing what he wants with the town ('s folk), it is often blank, non-intensive and causeless. (This doesn't seem to be JDM's fault altogether, but the director's. Though, truth be told, the first mentioned isn't very believable either.) The main protagonist is forced to carry out the justice on his own shoulders, but you never get the impression he's dying to do so. There's no detectable fervor, or brooding inside, he just does what he has to do, without much prevarication. (I again sense it was the director's decision.) The rest of the characters have all their share of 'glory', for no detectable purpose. The hero's bro seems interesting, but they dispatch him before the final third. (I guess that's how the Danes resonate: if you have something to offer - you gotta go, buddy.) Concerning the second point: they do sometimes engage in jokes and other ''manly movie audience action situations'' (if I may call them that), but from the rather characteristic sober Northern/Scandinavian angle. So you won't find over-spilling of that matter as in the more entertaining SWs.

Apart from that the script was pretty simple, with a few wannabe turns. The action wasn't that bad I must say, the sets looked believable, and the lighting and color grading didn't bother me.

All in all - yeah - you kinda wonder why DID the Danes decide to do their first W in the year 2014... It is most illogical.

(maybe just beneath or just above a) 5/10

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:10:50 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »

I saw this last night in Billings, Mt. It wasn't bad I go higher a 6/10 the landscape was Western like but very surreal with a massive butte/mesa sticking up in the background. I'll watch it again missed the first 10-15 minutes.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:37:00 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »

Well I seem to be on my own here  Evil

Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a single sheep to save the rest.

The Salvation is directed by Kristian Levring and Levring co-writes the screenplay with Anders Thomas Jensen. It stars Mads Mikkelsen, Eva Green, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Eric Cantona, Mikael Persbrandt, Jonathan Pryce and Douglas Henshall. Music is by Kasper Winding and cinematography by Jens Schlosser.

1871 and ex-patriot Danish soldier Jon Jensen (Mikkelsen) is, after 7 years of foundation building, welcoming his wife and son to a new life in America. But after they all board a stagecoach bound for their homestead, events will see that journey not be completed. And thus begins a tale of retribution and redemption.

There are few smiles in The Salvation, in fact viewers will need to grab onto the sparse offerings of such very early in the piece. For it's a film of blood, brooding and misery, of intensity and a paucity of the good side of human nature. Levring has managed to successfully blend the traditions of the American Western with the feel of the Euro Spaghetti Oaters. There is so much for Western fans to enjoy here. It's a classic revenger pumped by a good versus bad heart, yet as pared down and as simple as the story may at first seem, there's interesting asides of worth.

The issue of Euro immigrants trying to make it in the Wild West is noteworthy, while there's a delicious juxtaposition between two soldiers from different continents, and different wars. Jensen fought the Germans in Europe, while his nemesis, Henry Delarue (Morgan), has been through the Indian wars. A most interesting comparison, one where the characterisations are vividly opposed to each other. Add in a good old town in the grip of a tyrant theme, and a bit of carnal desires upon thine brother's spouse, and it's a spicy hot pot.

Filmed at dusty South African locations, there's a scenic beauty surrounding the harsh story. Westerns don't have to be filmed in America to look authentic, and this is a case in point. The town of Black Creek has been called fake looking in some quarters, not so. This is a new up-coming town, it's meant to be wooden and sparse. Hell! The saloon is also the local store, the mayor is also the undertaker, this is a basic Wild West town without frills and fancy.

Elsewhere the costuming is splendid, especially Morgan who is nicely dapper in black hat and crimson mack, and there's a whole host of face fuzz on show, which is needed to keep up the whole mud and blood, hard West factor. Levring has an eye for a nice shot, such as a full moon bearing witness, even a traditional slow-mo piece. All that said, irks do exist, Green's character is sketchily drawn, but she's playing a heaving bosom mute (her tongue was cut out by the pesky Indians), so scope for development is admittedly limited. While Winding's score is a bit too modern sounding for the key shoot-out sequences.

Ultimately it's great to see the Western is still thriving in this day and age of CGI and blockbuster pandering. From the shattering and moody first quarter to the bloody and excellently staged finale, The Salvation keeps the Western genre well and truly alive. 9/10

Region 2 DVD.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:57:50 PM by Spikeopath » Logged

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »

I did a rewatch and thought it was very good, 8-9/10 is about right.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »

I did a rewatch and thought it was very good, 8-9/10 is about right.  Afro

Cool

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM