Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 02:05:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  WESTERN'S SINCE UNFORGIVEN?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WESTERN'S SINCE UNFORGIVEN?  (Read 6883 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:42:35 PM »

Anybody seen OPEN RANGE? I found it to be a stunning western. Great performances, DUVALL especially. The shoot-out at end was second to none. I saw this in the cinema on a huge screen. Nobody there, except myself. HEAVEN! IT has slipped into my top ten westerns of all time. Cool

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »

It was ok, I liked the pay off shoot out at the end too. It was a throwback to earlier times more melodrama than stylistic.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
hailclinteastwood
Chicken Thief

fastest draw in scotland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 08:13:07 AM »

i didn't like it, i can see good things in it but it just wasn't pleasing to me

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 06:00:54 AM »

Great movie!  Great atmosphere. I like the portrayal of these simple characters who don't talk much and live by these simple moral rules.  Although taken with a grain of salt, it's probably the most realistic western I have seen.  

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Guerrilla
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 03:36:08 AM »

I like Costner very much,and im happy that he make western movies,but dont like "Open Range".The film is slow,boring.not meni gunfights.not dinamic.
I read an interviu of K.Costner-he say that will make westerns and he love western films ,cose its a great jeanr.

I like very much his new film :
"3000 miles to Graceland"  -to all amigos here-just see this movie!Costner is briliant!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:38:02 AM by Guerrilla » Logged
Christopher
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 07:56:24 AM »

I liked Open Range. My only complaint is that the ending goes on a little too long.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 10:05:16 PM »

Open Range was okay, and I'm not the world's biggest fan of Unforgiven.

More feeling.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 02:41:22 AM »

Yeah, it was a good film...Not as good as Unforgiven, but it was good. I like Costner...He wants to shot  westerns, and he makes it well, so...let's go Kevin.
I especially liked the photography; it made me think to Dance with wolfes (great great movie, no?).

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 02:57:46 PM »

blueberry was great... just kidding Smiley
i still have not seen it, but i'm pretty scared, if you see what i mean... i'm a huge fan of the comic books...

anyway, what about... no, i can't find any very good western since Unforgiven: open range was ok but not so great.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »

Anybody seen OPEN RANGE?

I finally caught up with Open Range, and though I liked it, I felt that it was both too short and too long.  On the one hand, there seemed like a lot of material that had been excised to keep the (already prodigious) running time down, such as when the doctor vanishes for the better part of an hour without the film ever cutting to him or the ranch.  On the other hand, because the film didn't bother giving the villains their fair share of screen time, the film seemed to meander more than it ought to.  The narrative was unbalanced, in other words.

Even flawed, though, the film was definitely worth watching.  The final showdown, in particular, has real power both from a dramatic and a visceral standpoint.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 11:10:34 AM »

I really enjoyed Open Range, though I do much prefer Unforgiven I did think it was a good film.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »

I really enjoyed Open Range, though I do much prefer Unforgiven I did think it was a good film.

Yeah, I definitely think that Open Range would have liked to occupy the same rung on the ladder as Unforgiven, especially since it covers some of the same ground thematically.  But if you see how Eastwood's film takes time to round out the narrative from both "good" and "bad" sides of the conflict, you can clearly tell where Open Range stumbles.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 12:08:01 PM »

I liked Open Range. My only complaint is that the ending goes on a little too long.

if your talking about the gunfight...yeah I can see that. It did drag on a little to much. And that slow motion run Duvall takes to the shed where Baxter is hiding was too over the top and very cheesy.

The start of the gunfight was brilliant though(even though Costner fired a good 12 times with the same six shooter without reloading), and the middle was well done. But after Baxter's long and almost incomprehensible(the irish accent) monologue, I was waiting for it to be over.

For the record...I dont care much for Unforgiven. Shame on me I know. Sad

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:10:23 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 07:06:50 AM »

They are both good films though I do like Unforgiven better, however that said, there just seems to be way is too much dialog,  and not enough visual storytelling, these days.

In the 70's there seemed to start a trend  towards too much "historacle speech patterns", and away from style, dialog lines that were written meerly to sound authentic but comes off almost pretentious, i don't know  but  it looses that iconic feeling that Leone created.

I think that is the silent film influence that Leone tapped into.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Beebs
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »

Unforgiven was the last great Western IMO. And yes, shame on you, Firecracker.  Angry Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM