Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:01:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favorite David Lean Film?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which is your favorite film by David Lean?
Great Expectations   -2 (7.7%)
Oliver Twist   -1 (3.8%)
Brief Encounter   -0 (0%)
Bridge on the River Kwai   -8 (30.8%)
Lawrence of Arabia   -9 (34.6%)
Doctor Zhivago   -2 (7.7%)
A Passage To India   -1 (3.8%)
Other (Ryan's Daughter, Summertime, etc.)   -2 (7.7%)
None Of Them   -1 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Favorite David Lean Film?  (Read 37694 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

The Beaver on Summertime's BD release:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews8/summertime.htm

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »

Brief Encounter will be showing on TCM tonite (Tues. 11/12/13) at 11:30 PM EST http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »

I've seen 3 movies on this poll:

Bridge on the River Kwai -- the first 2/3 or so  was absolutely spectacular, but once Guiness started with that dumbass Stockholm Syndrome, I rolled my eyes the rest of the way. No way that shit would have happened.

Dr. Zhivago -- some amazing performances and incredible scenes, and other scenes that seemed to drag on needlessly. Could have benefited from losing about half an hour (I believe I rated the film like a 7.5/10 when I saw it)

Lawrence of Arabia - on 2 separate occasions, I tried watching it but couldn't make it very far.... I don't sit around for an hour for a movie to grab me...

My 10th grade teacher showed Great Expectations (perhaps as a reward for having put us through an endless, boring novel by an author who got paid by the word), but that was over ten years ago and I don't have strong enough memories of it to rate it.

since I made this post, I've seen Brief Encounter, Madeliene, and Lawrence of Arabia.

I thought LoA was good but not half as much as Groggy does. Nice spectacle and camerawork, which you can always expect from Lean, but I just didn't think it was that great, I was kinda bored at times. Good movie overall, not great, I believe I gave it an 8/10 when I saw it.

And as I recall, I gave Brief Encounter an 8/10 (a much tighter and shorter movie than LoA obviously; so without the fancy color spectacle and brilliant shots, but also less annoying long stretches of desert. So, as DJ mentioned a while ago when we were discussing ratings, two movies can have the same rating but the rating is only a starting point; BE's 8/10 is very different than LoA's 8/10).....And I gave Madeliene an 8.5/10

I'd like to reassess LoA sometime; I am definitely gonna re-watch it next time it plays on TCM

---------

And just today, I saw Ryan's Daughter, I'll give it an 8.5/10. (I see it on TCM, same place I've seen all other Lean films thus far. However, for some reason Ryan's Daughter was windowboxed; there were huge black bars on all 4 sides, so the movie was only visible in a small portion of the center of the screen. I definitely wouldn've enjoyed it more otherwise, but as you can see from my rating, I still enjoyed it.) Story didn't mean much to me, but the movie was pretty to look at, of course the crazy camerawork you can expect from Lean, and pretty much every cast member was PERFECT. Unbelievable, every performance was just great, up and down the cast.
And that scene where the "village idiot" is banging the wall with his foot, triggering the Major's first flashback, is simply unbelievable  Smiley

-----

I am interested enough in Lean now that I wanna see all of his movies  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:08:03 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2014, 05:48:08 AM »

I really like Ryan's Daughter. A bit slow and I could do without Christopher Jones, but so many good performances and great scenes that it's hard not to enjoy it. The flashback scene you mention is amazing stuff.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2014, 06:37:58 AM »

I think Jones was great.
Btw, doesn't he look like Alain Delon?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM