Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 12:02:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Opinions on this film?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions on this film?  (Read 8011 times)
Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2002, 07:30:56 PM »

What do you think. Did yo ulike it? Could it have been better? I found it a tad long but still very very good. What did you think?

Sabbath
Road Apple

I'm a dead ringer for Paul Naschy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 08:26:10 PM »

What do you think. Did yo ulike it? Could it have been better? I found it a tad long but still very very good. What did you think?

Great, bloated, overlong-yes, overeverything, but still great. Leone got the idea of the garbage truck from reports that one was parked outside of Jimmy Hoffa's residence for a day at the time he disappeared. Wood's disappearance is a mystery... I'm glad it's a mystery. Leone's most mysterious and morally ambiguous film. Like THE WILD BUNCH a film about men, for men. The hatred of women is vitriolic. It's a giant graveyard containing every image of every gangster film ever made half buried under the rich earth of poetry, cynicism, regret. It all works toward that oblivion seen on his face in the opium den in the last image. Leone was a poet of oblivion.

Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 02:20:08 PM »

The best film I've ever seen! It's not to long ( I can watch for hours ). The chemistry between Leone, de Niro, Woods and Morricone is for me the ultimate ingredients for a masterpiece! I am also a de Niro fan and this one is his best. To bad Sergio coudn't continue doing more work like this. By the way I managed to get this one on DVD. Now you try and get that! Grin

"Your Youngest And Strongest Will Fall By The Sword"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 05:56:52 AM »

Renny, how did and where did you get the DVD.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 05:58:25 AM »

Renny, how did and where did you get the DVD.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 10:40:11 AM »

Go to www. Freerecordshop.nl and search for Once upon a time in America DVD.
 The fact is, I've been searching on the web in all english speaking countries but couldn't find it. Than I simply surffed to above site et voila. I understood they imported it from England Huh.
But I must warn you; no extra's and only an option for greek subtitling. So you buy it just for the film. BTW there is 5.1 Dol. Dig. I payed incl. package 35 Euro's.

Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 10:44:03 AM »

Go to www. Freerecordshop.nl and search for Once upon a time in America DVD.
 The fact is, I've been searching on the web in all english speaking countries but couldn't find it. Than I simply surffed to above site et voila. I understood they imported it from England Huh.
But I must warn you; no extra's and only an option for greek subtitling. So you buy it just for the film. BTW there is 5.1 Dol. Dig. I payed incl. package 35 Euro's.

Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2002, 10:45:58 AM »

Oh I forgot to mention it's region 2 Grin

revry
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2002, 01:35:48 PM »

Oh I forgot to mention it's region 2 Grin

I have a Brazilian DVD of the movie that was made for export to
 the US (it's Region 1! and in English or Portugeuese if you want).

The DVD is _not_ letterboxed (awww), but has the complete rape scene that was cut drastically from the American release. BTW, the chauffer in that scene was played by Arnon Milchan.

You can probably find people selling this DVD on ebay. That's where I found mine.

I believe this film is Leonne's masterpiece. The detail work is extraordinary, and follows many patterns he was developing. One small example is James Woods' drawing of the Federal Reserve Bank in the sand -- his "dream." There's a similar scene in "Duck You Sucker." Somewhere or other, I believe that Leonne switched from circles to squares as symbols.

Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2002, 07:45:52 PM »

Is the DVD a bootleg or is the quality a good transfer?

Beejerama
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2002, 05:30:58 AM »

Can't speak for the Brazilian version which I've read to be a "sanctioned" (official) release but I have the Greek subtitled version and noted both the lack of extras you normally get with a DVD release (including, in this case, the film's trailer which is listed in the contents but is nowhere on the disc's menu) along with the fact that unlike most studio product this one contains no DVD copywrite protection process.   Picture & sound quality are both fine, though, and aspect ratio is 4:3  

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2002, 07:05:42 AM »

Having read Christopher Frayling's Leone autobiography which goes into the history of this film, 20 years in inception with numerous changes to the story I would liked to have seen a longer version that fills in some of the gaps. e.g. in the original story Mario Brega's gang are poisoned by Noodles, I always wondered what became of them.

I particularly enjoyed the time transitions in this film.

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2002, 09:24:36 AM »

It would've been cool if there was a trilogie of this story, just like The Godfather Tongue

revry
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2002, 10:33:14 PM »

Is the DVD a bootleg or is the quality a good transfer?

The Brazilian DVD is obviously "official." The "extras" are no big deal, just some text pieces. But the quality is fine, even if the aspect ratio is pan and scan, and it is definitely the European cut. Until an official US release comes around, it's worth acquiring. Roll Eyes

HEX
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 08:21:50 PM »

NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE THE MAZING ACHIEVEMENT THAT IS.... ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA.

FUCK YEAH!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM