Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:49:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  RIP Tuco
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Tuco  (Read 7001 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:23 AM »

In addition to all his great performances, and how enjoyable he was to watch in interviews, there is another thing that Eli gets credit for: convincing Henry Fonda to accept Leone's offer to play Frank in OUATITW. I'm sure just about everyone here is familiar with that story by now; here, once again, is the clip of Fonda telling the story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI6Hl7FUqA (In this particular clip, he doesn't mention Wallach by name, he just says "an actor friend of mine," but he is referring to Eli.)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »

Cry Somehow I had convinced myself that he was going to make it to full 100.

RIP

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Huey
Bandido

A whole month!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »

Very sad but 98 is a hell of a long life and, as someone said above, he was happily married to his wife for 66 years. He was a great actor and I have always said he should have been given an Oscar for Tuco. But, the Hollywood establishment in the sixties didn't recognise foreign moviemakers like Sergio or the deservedly popular films they might create or the truly great performances in them. RIP Eli and thanks for the memories.

Where life had no value, death sometimes had its price
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »

Damn, I wanted him to reach 100 years old. Either way, he lives on forever through his work.....

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »

I too was shocked to hear it the other day... Still, he had a great career and will be remembered as long as there is cinema.

Rest in peace, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »

Watched GBU again last nite.

You will live on forever, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, known as The Rat Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »

Watched GBU again last nite.

You will live on forever, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, known as The Rat Smiley Smiley Smiley
Oh, so you watched one of the English language versions.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 04:38:31 AM »

nice article http://moviemorlocks.com/2014/06/26/i-wonder-if-my-brother-remembers-his-brother-remembering-eli-wallach-1915-2014/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »

Wow, I'll say! That writer gets the Ebert Award for July.

wind demon
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »

Anyone think GBU's stature will only rise now, each time someone in a movie goes off it attains more mythical status . someone rapper once said that "you're worth more if you're in jail or dead" and this goes true
When Eastwood goes the movie will seem way more mythical than it is.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »

Anyone think GBU's stature will only rise now, each time someone in a movie goes off it attains more mythical status . someone rapper once said that "you're worth more if you're in jail or dead" and this goes true
When Eastwood goes the movie will seem way more mythical than it is.

No doubt.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »

An appreciation from a unique angle: http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/070214_1145

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »

Another great moment in that scene with the brothers Ramirez: after Pablo and Tuco hit each other and Tuco is leaving, Pablo calls him back, and Tuco doesn't just leave: he stops at the doorway a moment .... Pauses .... Thinks about it ..... Then, without turning around, gives a dismissive wave of his hand and leaves. That little moment is so awesome, how he hesitates then decides, 'what the hell for, fuck it' and leaves. That's a perfect sense of timing. I haven't seen the script so I don't know if that was meant to be in there or if Eli improvised it on the spot, but that is one of the many subtle moments you find in great movies, that distinguishes them from good movies.
One of these days, I will get Eli's autiobography from the library.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »

Another great moment in that scene with the brothers Ramirez: after Pablo and Tuco hit each other and Tuco is leaving, Pablo calls him back, and Tuco doesn't just leave: he stops at the doorway a moment .... Pauses .... Thinks about it ..... Then, without turning around, gives a dismissive wave of his hand and leaves. That little moment is so awesome, how he hesitates then decides, 'what the hell for, fuck it' and leaves. That's a perfect sense of timing. I haven't seen the script so I don't know if that was meant to be in there or if Eli improvised it on the spot. . .
I doubt he improvised it; I'm sure he gave the matter a lot of thought before it was filmed. He probably had to do a run-though first also to get the timing right. And I'm pretty sure it was from Eli--I haven't seen the script either, but I'd be very surprised to find that such specific actorly directions were written in.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »

I doubt he improvised it; I'm sure he gave the matter a lot of thought before it was filmed. He probably had to do a run-though first also to get the timing right. And I'm pretty sure it was from Eli--I haven't seen the script either, but I'd be very surprised to find that such specific actorly directions were written in.

I don't know about the "actorly directions," I just meant, does it say, "Tuco hesitates, but leaves without turning around" or did it just say "Tuco leaves."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM