Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 14, 2020, 06:54:42 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Post the movies you'd rate 10/10
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
: Post the movies you'd rate 10/10  ( 15214 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #60 : October 30, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »

But if I didn't enjoy it the first time around, I have to have a reason for watching the second time (for example,if lots of people say they love it, maybe I'll think I may have missed something and give it another viewing. Sometimes it changes my opinion; sometimes it doesn't.) But you seem to say that even if a movie is not entertaining the first time around ... somehow I am not giving it a fair try by forcing myself to sit through it, or perhaps even re-watch it.

If a film is boring I normally do not watch it again. Of course.
A reason to re-watch such a film is, like you say, when others love it I'll maybe give it another chance. Then some films change and I understand why others love this film, but other films remain boring.

But what I meant is that there are films which I don't get or don't understand the first time, which mostly means they bore me. But the these kind of films are still in my mind, I still think about them, and then often a re-watch begins to change this film. It starts to fascinate me, and then it suddenly the film is fun to watch. Irreversible is a film which gets better for me with every viewing, which grows on me, which I absolutely enjoy now.

OUTW needed about 2 years, then I saw the scene in which Fonda first appears on TV (it was something about Fonda), and I suddenly felt that this film was great. Next time it was played in a theatre in my neighborhood I watched it again ,and it was a pure pleasure.

Similar with 2001. 2 or 3 months after I saw it I got suddenly the feeling that there was something in it which I did not saw the first time, and that notion was right.

But when I lately re-watched The Counselor it remained an interesting, but not a fascinating movie. I did not find another access to the film, one which lifts the film on another level, one in which things which did not make sense before change.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #61 : October 30, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »

On the Waterfront I wasn't crazy about the first time; second time I thought it was great.

A Streetcar Named Desire I didn't understand the first time ... I read up about it, then re-watched it and loved it (and have watched it many times since then), it's one of my favorite movies of all-time

Casablanca I thought was good the first time around, but not immortal; the second time around (and on many subsequent viewings) I loved it, now it's one of my 5 favorite non-Western movies ever made.

Double Indemnity I didn't think was great the first time, a couple of subsequent viewings raised it a little bit, by like te 4th viewing or so, it also rose to be one of my 5 favorite non-Western movies ever.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #62 : October 30, 2014, 12:19:41 PM »

On the Waterfront I wasn't crazy about the first time; second time I thought it was great.

A Streetcar Named Desire I didn't understand the first time ... I read up about it, then re-watched it and loved it (and have watched it many times since then), it's one of my favorite movies of all-time

Casablanca I thought was good the first time around, but not immortal; the second time around (and on many subsequent viewings) I loved it, now it's one of my 5 favorite non-Western movies ever made.

Double Indemnity I didn't think was great the first time, a couple of subsequent viewings raised it a little bit, by like te 4th viewing or so, it also rose to be one of my 5 favorite non-Western movies ever.

Apart from Casablanca, which is a great film for me too, the others were all losing on a re-watch. Especially On the Waterfront, while Double Indemnity was always only ok. Streetcar is still good, but well, it's too much theatre.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #63 : October 30, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »

is the whole movie shot in the same way?

there is no way I can sit through that credit sequence again, or those first few minutes after the credits sequence. The few minutes I watched, I had my left eye closed, so I would only see the right side of the screen; I had no interest in staring at endless shots of fat old naked guy for . (or even a skinny young naked guy  ... forget about the fact that he was talking about fucking his own daughter ;)  ) .... it was just a painful experience in every way. and I don't see any value - in art entertainment, or anything else, in getting myself dizzy and irritated and disgusted.

how long does that full scene last for, the opening one with the fat old naked guy sitting with his hand over his crotch and the other dude on his bed? that was disgusting. You'll tell me "that's the point." Okay, well I don't need to be disgusted. I am not looking that movies should all be glamour and pretty girls. It's just that I enjoyed those 15 minutes I saw less than perhaps any 15 minutes in any movie I have ever watched.

Haha! Ok don't ever come near a Noe DVD again, you're a lost cause.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #64 : November 02, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »

I've given a ten to maybe five films in my life. Lawrence of Arabia, OUATITW and maybe The Wild Bunch come to mind. The first two Godfathers if I'm generous. My blog tells me I gave Treasure of the Sierra Madre a 10, which in the sober light of day I might make a 9/10 (can a Tim Holt movie have a perfect score?).

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #65 : November 02, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »

some people give 10/10 to all "great" movies; some give 9.5/10 to "great" and 10/10 to "greatest of the great," and I think Groggy gives a max of 9/10 to every great movie with the exception of maybe the five greatest.

So, as long as we don't have a uniform rating system, threads like these are sometimes comparing apples to oranges and have endless debates about what ratings mean.

Anyway, IMO, the whole point of a rating is for the recommendation; if I am gonna follow someone's recommendation, I don't think I am any less likely to see the movie if it's 9/10 or 10/10 ... but 7/10 or 8/10 is a big difference (an 8/10 I'll make sure to see; a 7/10, maybe I'll catch if it happens to be on TCM). I've said in the past I am all for establishing a uniform rating system – possibly a uniform word system ("Great, Good Mediocre, etc.") rather than numbers – but I don't think anyone else is interested in that.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #66 : November 02, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »

Somehow I forgot The Best Years of Our Lives.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #67 : November 02, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »

Somehow I forgot The Best Years of Our Lives.

that's one of your five favorite movies of all time?

I wouldn't put it up that high, but I couldn't argue against rating it a 10/10 - it is a fabulous movie.

Billy Wilder mentions it repeatedly in his book of conversations with Cameron Crowe ... Wilder loves that movie. I'm not certain if I recall Wilder explicitly saying it's the greatest movie of all-time, but he definitely says it is the best-directed movie of all time. The Best Years of Our Lives (and anything else by Wyler .... or Wilder, for that matter) is a great argument against those who diminish the work of any director that doesn't bear a signature style. Wyler is a director who isn't often mentioned by nerdy critics but is mentioned more than perhaps any other by directors. Reading Peter Bogdanovich's book of director interviews – Who the Devil Made It – recently, when other directors mention directors they admire, I think Wyler's name comes up more often than any other.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #68 : November 02, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »

I'd rank Best Years in my top 15 at least. One of the very few movies I'd consider flawless. I've been reading Mark Harris's book Five Came Back and they discussed it at some length; the Wilder comment you mention is quoted.

« : November 02, 2014, 08:05:40 PM Groggy »

moorman
Gunslinger

« #69 : February 06, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »

some people give 10/10 to all "great" movies; some give 9.5/10 to "great" and 10/10 to "greatest of the great," and I think Groggy gives a max of 9/10 to every great movie with the exception of maybe the five greatest.

So, as long as we don't have a uniform rating system, threads like these are sometimes comparing apples to oranges and have endless debates about what ratings mean.

Anyway, IMO, the whole point of a rating is for the recommendation; if I am gonna follow someone's recommendation, I don't think I am any less likely to see the movie if it's 9/10 or 10/10 ... but 7/10 or 8/10 is a big difference (an 8/10 I'll make sure to see; a 7/10, maybe I'll catch if it happens to be on TCM). I've said in the past I am all for establishing a uniform rating system – possibly a uniform word system ("Great, Good Mediocre, etc.") rather than numbers – but I don't think anyone else is interested in that.

When I first got into these classic films I had a biased system toward not giving ANY film a 10 out of 10 because I didn't know enough about films to have a solid ground in which to base my ratings on.  Now that I have a good two years under my belt with classic film I feel confident in giving MORE films a 10 than I would have otherwise done two years ago.   

In my system, anything below a 6 isn't worth bothering. 6 to 7 is OK.  8 and above is MUST watch.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #70 : February 06, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »

When I first got into these classic films I had a biased system toward not giving ANY film a 10 out of 10 because I didn't know enough about films to have a solid ground in which to base my ratings on.  Now that I have a good two years under my belt with classic film I feel confident in giving MORE films a 10 than I would have otherwise done two years ago.   

In my system, anything below a 6 isn't worth bothering. 6 to 7 is OK.  8 and above is MUST watch.

8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines