Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 06:16:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATITW: A Movie Mezzanine Video Essay
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATITW: A Movie Mezzanine Video Essay  (Read 7064 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »

https://vimeo.com/102084362

Absolutely nothing new, but it made me want to watch it again.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »

The bartender says the whiskey was "one dollar".  If such was so expensive in those days, how could "cowboys" typically afford it?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »

yeah, there is no way in hell that a whiskey cost a dollar back then. I remember watching a movie from the '40's or '50's (i.e., a movie that was set at the time it was made) in which someone ordered a beer, and that cost 30 cents. So, OUATITW probably takes place about 50 years before that ... no friggin' way would a whiskey cost a dollar. It's just convenient because Frank gives him $500, plus one, so he takes the dollar and sticks it in the cup, it's a funny moment. But it definitely wouldn't have really cost a dollar.

Come to think of it, that's probably the only moment in a Leone western where someone pays for a drink! Throughout FAFDM, anytime a drink is ordered at a bar, you never see anyone paying for it. And also, in so many other Westerns, I remember specifically My Darling Clementine .... I don't know who the hell was paying for the drinks, but it sure wasn't the customers! They just ask for drinks, the bartender gives it to them, and they drink it. No money changes hands

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

And also, in so many other Westerns, I remember specifically My Darling Clementine .... I don't know who the hell was paying for the drinks, but it sure wasn't the customers! They just ask for drinks, the bartender gives it to them, and they drink it. No money changes hands

Doc Holliday owned that saloon in that film, he bought at least one round.

But I agree: rarely do you actually see anyone pay for a drink, or bartender tell customer how much.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM