Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:27:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Please help me identify where this frame is found in the film!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please help me identify where this frame is found in the film!  (Read 15239 times)
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2014, 02:52:00 AM »

Strange how few lines can take away all your motivation here.
Why is there so often a feeling of being 'under attack' as soon as I read certain comments here?

Anyway, I wrote that I saw a fabulous 1967 35mm print 3 years (not just decades) ago.
I may be getting older, just as 100% of the other human beings I met so far in my life, but
my memory is still fine. Be it 3 years or decades ago. When you saw about 5000 films on 35mm
you get a certain eye. Damnit, why am I still talking? I wanted to sign off Smiley. Enough time wasted.

As for LIL: once you have the print scanned, I'd love to stay in contact..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2014, 03:07:02 AM »

Strange how few lines can take away all your motivation here.
Why is there so often a feeling of being 'under attack' as soon as I read certain comments here?

Anyway, I wrote that I saw a fabulous 1967 35mm print 3 years (not just decades) ago.
I may be getting older, just as 100% of the other human beings I met so far in my life, but
my memory is still fine. Be it 3 years or decades ago. When you saw about 5000 films on 35mm
you get a certain eye. Damnit, why am I still talking? I wanted to sign off Smiley. Enough time wasted.

I don't know why you take this as a personal attack. My only interest (and I am sure the only interest of everyone else here, as well) is to ascertain how the movie should actually look, what the proper colors are. Being skeptical that someone can remember accurate colors from seeing a movie in theaters years ago, and being skeptical about the assumption that a print has wrong reds but every other color is accurate, is – perhaps wrong and perhaps right, but certainly intended – not as a personal attack, but as another point in a conversation about ascertaining proper colors.

Then again, you also took it personally when I criticized The Wild Bunch, so I am not surprised.

And opinions coming from me – a person who has never been involved in or knows a damn thing about film restoration –  take away all your motivation? Thank you, I am really flattered.

Damnit, why am I still talking? Enough time wasted.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2014, 08:00:54 AM »

Drinks: As film prints get older, they get a red tint.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »

Drinks: As film prints get older, they get a red tint.

Except most, if not all, IB Technicolor prints. Eastman prints of that era were prone to fading.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »

I don't know why you take this as a personal attack. My only interest (and I am sure the only interest of everyone else here, as well) is to ascertain how the movie should actually look, what the proper colors are. Being skeptical that someone can remember accurate colors from seeing a movie in theaters years ago, and being skeptical about the assumption that a print has wrong reds but every other color is accurate, is – perhaps wrong and perhaps right, but certainly intended – not as a personal attack, but as another point in a conversation about ascertaining proper colors.

Then again, you also took it personally when I criticized The Wild Bunch, so I am not surprised.

And opinions coming from me – a person who has never been involved in or knows a damn thing about film restoration –  take away all your motivation? Thank you, I am really flattered.

Damnit, why am I still talking? Enough time wasted.

Perhaps a simple "thank you" for having Mike Siegel post scans of his elements would suffice? These elements are extremely rare and we should be appreciative of other enthusiasts sharing them with us.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind but you do have a tendency of being abrasive in your posts. A little more balance would go a long way, IMHO.

Email sent, Mike.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »

Perhaps a simple "thank you" for having Mike Siegel post scans of his elements would suffice? These elements are extremely rare and we should be appreciative of other enthusiasts sharing them with us.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind but you do have a tendency of being abrasive in your posts. A little more balance would go a long way, IMHO.

I am flabbergasted that my opinion on the colors or human memory of the colors would be considered rude or abrasive. I do understand that thoughts/emotions are often misinterpreted through the words written across cyberspace. If you think there was anything rude about my opinions RE: the colors, I'm here to state for the record that that was the furthest thing from my mind. I'm just trying to contribute my opinion to the discussion of the colors, that's all  Wink

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:18:28 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »

I have all three Sergio Leone Clint Eastwood movies in I.B. Technicolor. Magnificent-looking. I just saw the DCP restoration of A Fistful of Dollars at Cannes. I introduced it. I felt like I was watching a DVD. I said, "Why didn’t you ask me to bring my fucking print?" They said, ‘Well, there was three extra minutes in this." I said, "I’ve seen that movie a million times and I didn’t notice those extra minutes. I just noticed that it looked like a fucking DVD."

This is from a Quentin Tarantino interview about his cinema (New Beverly, in LA). He'll show his own 35mm prints there from now. Full article:
http://www.laweekly.com/publicspectacle/2014/09/05/quentin-tarantino-on-his-new-role-running-the-shows-at-new-beverly-cinema

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »

I love how that's his response to the interviewer's question, "What are the prints your prize most?"  Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »

QT just became my favorite living filmmaker. Again.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »

I love how that's his response to the interviewer's question, "What are the prints your prize most?"  Afro

here is that exchange:

Question: What are the prints you prize most?

Tarantino: I have all three Sergio Leone Clint Eastwood movies in I.B. Technicolor. Magnificent-looking. I just saw the DCP restoration of A Fistful of Dollars at Cannes. I introduced it. I felt like I was watching a DVD. I said, "Why didn’t you ask me to bring my fucking print?" They said, ‘Well, there was three extra minutes in this." I said, "I’ve seen that movie a million times and I didn’t notice those extra minutes. I just noticed that it looked like a fucking DVD."

This interview is about DCP vs. 35mm, so QT is focusing on that issue, but notice that he didn't say anything about the colors, whether he liked the new piss color.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:45 AM »

Well, he wasn't talking about GBU, but about FoD.

But it seems he too has an IB print of GBU. Maybe of the international version.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:34:53 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »

here is that exchange:

Question: What are the prints you prize most?

Tarantino: I have all three Sergio Leone Clint Eastwood movies in I.B. Technicolor. Magnificent-looking. I just saw the DCP restoration of A Fistful of Dollars at Cannes. I introduced it. I felt like I was watching a DVD. I said, "Why didn’t you ask me to bring my fucking print?" They said, ‘Well, there was three extra minutes in this." I said, "I’ve seen that movie a million times and I didn’t notice those extra minutes. I just noticed that it looked like a fucking DVD."

This interview is about DCP vs. 35mm, so QT is focusing on that issue, but notice that he didn't say anything about the colors, whether he liked the new piss color.

You're such a better quoter than I am.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »

You're such a better quoter than I am.

I'm a better lotta things, but it's the quoting I am most proud of. (And it's not because I know that every day in which I quote while you merely paste links, you go home and take it up the ass while I go home and give it somewhere else. No, it has nothing to do with anything other than me being a caring citizen.)

Also, using our official quote color allows me to help everyone visualize what the new BRD's of the Dollars films are gonna look like.

So, no matter how hard I try to imagine, I really have no idea what y'all would do without me.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »

So, no matter how hard I try to imagine, I really have no idea what y'all would do without me.

Try harder, it's not that difficult ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

Grin

However, Stanton is the better joker. He only needs 6 words to make a joke when you use 10 lines.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:45:01 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM