Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:23:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 68914 times)
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »

Hey all.

I have an extra copy of the CINEMA RETRO issue which contained my article on the film and Mike Siegels's interview with Sergio Solima.
[You can read more about it by clicking on the link below]

I will part with it for a one year 2017 subscription to CINEMA RETRO - Currently $36 iirc.
It is a hard to find magazine and will undoubedtly appreciate in value as it becomes scarcer.

Send me a message if you are interested.
Bruce Marshall

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Spikeopath
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »

Adding >

If you don't kill me right now, it'll be the last mistake you make.

La resa dei conti (The Big Gundown) is directed by Sergio Sollima and written by Sollima and Sergio Donati. It stars Lee Van Cleef, Tomas Milian, Walter Barnes and Gerard Herter. Music is by Ennio Morricone and cinematography by Carlo Calini.

Superior Spaghetti Western with shades of Zapata for good measure, The Big Gundown finds Van Cleef as bounty hunter - cum - unofficial lawman Jonathan Corbett, whose reputation for bringing in the criminals, dead or alive, has caught the attention of business baron Brockston (Barnes). With an interest in getting into politics, Corbett is sold on Brockston's offer of political help if he will do a job for him. The job is to hunt down a Mexican rogue by the name of Cuchillo (Milian) who is alleged to have raped and murdered a 12 year old girl. Tracking Cuchillo across the land, the Mexican proves to be a slippery customer, and more importantly, Corbett begins to doubt the veracity of the charges against him.

Adios Amigo.

What do you need for a great Italo Western? A leading man with screen presence supreme? Check! Rogue antagonist able to overact opposite the leading man whilst still exuding charm personified? Check! Scorching vistas? Check! A musical score so in tune with the story it's a character all by itself? Check! And violence? Check! Sollima's movie has it all.

Much of the film is about the manhunt and how the two men involved develop a relationship. Cuchillo claims he's being set up and seems to have friends in every town featured in the play. Corbett is a dandy with a gun, but he's not perfect, he can be outsmarted and get caught cold. There's good thought gone into the screenplay in this respect, not putting the anti-hero up as an infallible superman.

Then there's the side-bar narrative strands that show Sollima's political bent, even though this is hardly a heavily politico piece. From class struggles and racism, to asides on the justice system and the fat cats who operate around the system, Sollima does enjoy dangling such carrots. With zippy set pieces fuelled by brooding machismo that is in turn enhanced by the top work from Carlini and Morricone (it's one of Moricone's best scores, real dynamite), this is grade "A" Spaghetti and well worth feasting on. 9/10

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

I got to see this film. I love Lee Van Cleef. He is probably my favorite western actor... 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2017, 09:18:28 PM »

I got to see this film. I love Lee Van Cleef. He is probably my favorite western actor... 

This and Death Rides a Horse are his next best two films

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2017, 04:16:19 AM »

This and Death Rides a Horse are his next best two films
I have seen Death Rides a Horse.  I have a bad copy of it that came with a westerns box set I grabbed a few months back.  I want a clear blue ray version.  I believe Amazon has one. I think it's a very underrated western.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2017, 04:33:51 AM »

I have seen Death Rides a Horse.  I have a bad copy of it that came with a westerns box set I grabbed a few months back.  I want a clear blue ray version.  I believe Amazon has one. I think it's a very underrated western.

I'm dating myself but I actually saw The Big Gundown and Death Rides a Horse and of course all of the Leone films on their first releases on huge Times Square Theater screens.

About 10-12 years ago I got the Japanese widescreen DVD that was in pristine condition and it was quite the improvement. I pretty much got as many of the Japanese releases that I could.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 19, 2017, 06:13:06 AM »

I'm dating myself but I actually saw The Big Gundown and Death Rides a Horse and of course all of the Leone films on their first releases on huge Times Square Theater screens.

I also saw all the spaghetti westerns on first run at the theaters.  First (Arizona) was GBU in June 1968, I was 15.  We had heard the "Montenegro" single on the radio, my family liked westerns, and we knew Clint Eastwood from Rawhide.  So several us us kids (including my brother who could drive) went to see it, couldn't figure out why all the Italian names were in the titles....could not believe the excitement/novelty of The Ecstasy of Gold scene...so only had to wait like 35 years for almost-complete soundtrack music to be released.  A few months later the two previous Leone westerns were released as a double feature here.

By the way, Once Upon a Time in the West got way smaller release in Phoenix than did Death Rides a Horse, Big Gundown, Day of Anger.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM