Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2019, 05:53:09 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My Darling Clementine (1946)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
: My Darling Clementine (1946)  ( 36472 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #45 : June 04, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »

What the heck is a "poursuite"?

Still having problems with dictionaries?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #46 : July 05, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/my_darling_clementine_blu-ray.htm

Uh, where is that Region A disc, again?

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #47 : July 15, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Criterion Blu in October!
SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration of the theatrical release version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• High-definition presentation of the 103-minute prerelease version of the film
• New audio commentary featuring John Ford biographer Joseph McBride
• New interview with western historian Andrew C. Isenberg about the real Wyatt Earp
• Comparison of the two versions by the UCLA Film & Television Archive's Robert Gitt
• New video essay by Ford scholar Tag Gallagher
• A Bandit's Wager, a 1916 short costarring Ford and directed by his brother, Francis Ford, featuring new music composed and performed by Donald Sosin
• NBC broadcast reports from 1963 and 1975 about the history of Tombstone and Monument Valley
• Lux Radio Theatre adaptation from 1947 starring Henry Fonda and Cathy Downs
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by critic David Jenkins[no relation]

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #48 : July 15, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »

O0

A little disappointing that only the theatrical version is in 4K; I prefer the pre-release version, and that's the version I watch whenever I watch this movie. But glad to hear this is gonna be released on BRD   :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #49 : July 15, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »

O0

A little disappointing that only the theatrical version is in 4K;
I do not believe such a scan of the pre-release version exists in the world, and it would have been prohibitively expensive for Criterion to do one of their own (and perhaps would have produced only marginal improvements). Once Criterion licensed the theatrical, they had access to Fox's master, which made things easy. It all comes down to money. Drink, just don't buy enough from Criterion to cause them to cater to your every desire.

Still, both versions are in HD, and even 1080p is less than 2K, so how exactly were you going to notice the difference, anyway?

« : July 15, 2014, 06:56:54 PM dave jenkins »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #50 : July 16, 2014, 02:20:07 AM »

Still, both versions are in HD, and even 1080p is less than 2K, so how exactly were you going to notice the difference, anyway?

4K shown in 2K (if correctly transfered to avoid line skipping artefacts) is always better than 2K shown in 2K. The difference is rarely astonishing, but usually noticeable.

That being said, the difference between 4K, 2K and PAL/NTCS versions of 50 years old movies is far less striking than with recent stuff.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #51 : July 16, 2014, 04:31:12 AM »

yeah, I don't know if I'd see much of a difference in my 32-inch tv. (though I hope to one day watch that blu-ray on my enormous home-theater screen, which perhaps would see a difference  ;) )

All I know is I prefer the pre-release version, so I want it to be at least as good as the theatrical.

Anyway, I am happy this move is being released on BRD, and I am happy that it seems that from here on in, all American disc releases will have both versions.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #52 : July 16, 2014, 04:48:48 AM »

As long as you have "only" a 32 " TV, there is no need to buy a Blu if you have already a DVD. Films like My Darling Clementine don't run away. There will always be better versions, or cheaper versions, of the same quality as now.

My interest is more in the films themselves and not in another small step of more quality. I barely notice the plus of details of Blus compared to the DVDs on my 42 " TV.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #53 : July 16, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »

I'm no technical expert, but I notice a big difference in quality on a 42" plasma when I play a dvd on a dvd player, compared to a dvd played on a bluray player, and another large increase in quality when watching blurays.

I'll be making the upgrade no doubt. I hope criterion keeps releasing more westerns, classic hollywood stuff and genre films in general.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #54 : July 17, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »

I hope criterion keeps releasing more westerns, classic hollywood stuff and genre films in general.
No disagreement on that!

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

« #55 : September 08, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »

Geez , I FINALLY get around to watching the Fox release w/the preview version and Criterion announces another release!
Well, I will probably watch it again as Joe Mcbride is an excellent biographer and commentator.

FYI 4k is not an "improvement" as it is not a noticable upgrade - to the human eye, at least.
If you watch a dvd on a Blu-Ray player the pixels jump to 740 pi. This looks very good, even on a 50" monitor and is close to 1080 (you will notice the difference most clearly on small print end credits - BIG DEAL!)

I watched MDC on a 20 inch flat-screen cathode ray monitor with the color truned down. For all intents and purposes this is hi-definition

cheers!
bruce

« : September 08, 2014, 02:19:08 PM uncknown »

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

« #56 : September 08, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »

re; the dust storm that obscures the final gunfight in MDC and FOD.
IIRC  YOJIMBO has that scene aso SL would have taken it from the Kurosawa film.
Correct me if i am wrong.
bruce

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #57 : September 09, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »

re; the dust storm that obscures the final gunfight in MDC and FOD.

I just watched Clementine a few weeks ago and definitely noticed the dust.  I think the title for that just doesn't fit though, maybe that way so they could justify the song.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #58 : September 10, 2014, 12:37:22 AM »

Amazon has set a pretty high price for the MDC Criterion BRD, due out Oct. 14: $37.98, or only $1.97 off the official $39.95 list price http://goo.gl/ylG6rP I know all about the low-price guarantee, but that only applies until the day the disc goes on sale, right?

I'm definitely gonna hold off a little on this one. I have the DVD anyway, so there is no urgency to get the BRD on day 1; I'm sure this is gonna go down soon after (if not before) its release date

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #59 : September 10, 2014, 05:12:13 AM »

Amazon has set a pretty high price for the MDC Criterion BRD, due out Oct. 14: $37.98, or only $1.97 off the official $39.95 list price http://goo.gl/ylG6rP I know all about the low-price guarantee, but that only applies until the day the disc goes on sale, right?
Right. I just got burned myself on a title that I got charged for a day before the price plummeted by 7 bucks. Live and learn.

I'm with you on the Clementine disc. But remember, the November B&N sale will be right around the corner after release. A two or three week wait, and you can have it for half of SRP.

: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines