Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 08:46:23 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My Darling Clementine (1946)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
: My Darling Clementine (1946)  ( 33132 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #60 : September 25, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/my_darling_clementine_blu-ray.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #61 : September 27, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »

Right. I just got burned myself on a title that I got charged for a day before the price plummeted by 7 bucks. Live and learn.

I'm with you on the Clementine disc. But remember, the November B&N sale will be right around the corner after release. A two or three week wait, and you can have it for half of SRP.

it's down to $34.99 on Amazon now, but TCM (which is having a big Criterion sale now, up to 52% off some titles) is selling it for $26.99

I'll be waiting a while on this one

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #62 : September 27, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »

I am unhappy to see that the pre-release version does not look as good as the theatrical version. I prefer the pre-release version. Also, the new Joseph McBride commentary is only on the theatrical version.
Still, if the pre-release version looks better on here than on the DVD, then I guess this purchase will be worthwhile.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #63 : October 11, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4616clem.html

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #64 : October 11, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »

I assume the liner essay by David Jenkins is what you find most appealing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #65 : October 11, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »

Also, what the hell is this:

When they finally did battle at the O.K. Corral (described in some quarters as an 'Earp drive-by') it's been reported that both factions carried arrest warrants for men on the other side.

Reported by whom Savant? I've never heard the most ardent Earp revisionist claim Ike Clanton and Tom McLaury were packing "arrest warrants" for the Earps.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #66 : February 14, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »

I watched the Theatrical Version and the transfer is immaculate. I don't know if I'll watch the Preview Version soon or just the video essay. I don't remember if I've seen it before.

While there probably should have been more conflict in the transition in Act II, it never fully loses momentum for me and the photography is otherworldly.

10/10

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #67 : February 14, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »

Watch the pre-release version. I prefer it to the theatrical. Anytime I watch this movie, it's the pre-release.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #68 : February 16, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »

I'll give it a go at some point.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #69 : February 16, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »

and you definitely should watch that bonus feature, the comparison video between the two versions. It is absolutely essential for any serious fan of this movie to at least once watch the pre-release version, the theatrical version, and that comparison piece. After that, you can decide for yourself which version you prefer and want to watch on future viewings.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #70 : March 15, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »

I have just watched the pre-release version and, though the criticism towards parts of the movie are still valid, must raise a notch my evaluation. 8\10   

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #71 : December 18, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »

I just  watched the BRD, the pre-release version, and I am extremely disappointed. It is full of speckles/damage marks - which I believe DO NOT appear on the pre-release version on the Fox DVD. Just to be sure, I checked out the DVD (which I have not seen in a while) by skipping around a few seconds here and a few seconds there, and indeed, I am fairly certain I am correct - the damage only appears on the Criterion BRD, not the Fox DVD

i have watched this movie (pre-release version, which I  prefer to the theatrical release) several times on DVD and loved it. But watching it on the new Criterion BRD is a  pain in the neck because of all the damage marks. I am extremely disappointed.

When watching the theatrical version, the BRD is nice. But for the pre-release version,  the Fox DVD is better

« : September 27, 2017, 09:17:30 PM drinkanddestroy »

Moorman

« #72 : January 21, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »

I have watched the official version right now. The beginning is great, the finale is passable but the middle part, expecially after the arrival of Doc's girl, is almost unbearable. Sure, if you like Fonda playing the timid beau (which, BTW, Earp was not. Timid, I mean), the usual square dances and the stupid jealousy subplot, then you can rate this movie high. I don't, in spite of the great photography, of Brennan's performance (his best, among those few I saw) and even Fonda's, though I don't like his mannerisms. Mature is the healthiest Doc of the screen. Practically, the movie is good only when there are confrontations: between The Earps and the Clanton and (but only in the beginning) between Fonda and Mature. 7\10

Saw this for the first time tonight. I HAD high hopes for this one. I had picked out the remastered blu ray version and everything.  I knew the cinematography was gonna be great, and it didn't disappoint there, but like the poster above said, it opened good,  the middle went downhill, and finished OK.

I didn't like the script at all.  Fonda's character was unbelievable.  I don't know if it was because of the times it was written, or just a bad script, but no thoughts were fleshed out. Just point A to point Z in a flash with everything.

Welp, thats one less blu ray on my to purchase list... I rank it a 5 out of 10, and thats only because of the cinematography...

« : January 21, 2017, 09:54:22 PM Moorman »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #73 : January 22, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »

Saw this for the first time tonight. I HAD high hopes for this one. I had picked out the remastered blu ray version and everything.  I knew the cinematography was gonna be great, and it didn't disappoint there, but like the poster above said, it opened good,  the middle went downhill, and finished OK.

I didn't like the script at all.  Fonda's character was unbelievable.  I don't know if it was because of the times it was written, or just a bad script, but no thoughts were fleshed out. Just point A to point Z in a flash with everything.

Welp, thats one less blu ray on my to purchase list... I rank it a 5 out of 10, and thats only because of the cinematography...

It is a great movie.

watch it again later. I like it more and more every time  :)

Moorman

« #74 : January 22, 2017, 06:54:21 AM »

It is a great movie.

watch it again later. I like it more and more every time  :)

Too much i didn't like. The direction was horrible.  The inclusion of Doc Holiday was a bad  move.  Having him cough thru out the movie to set up the cough at the end was even worse.  The romance.  The whole premise.  Outside of the cinematography and surprisingly, the gunfights, its not a good movie.  The Westerner, for example, is a waay better movie...

« : January 22, 2017, 06:56:57 AM Moorman »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines