Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 06:57:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My Darling Clementine (1946)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Darling Clementine (1946)  (Read 28565 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2017, 07:51:26 AM »

Too much i didn't like. The direction was horrible.  The inclusion of Doc Holiday was a bad  move.  Having him cough thru out the movie to set up the cough at the end was even worse.  The romance.  The whole premise.  Outside of the cinematography and surprisingly, the gunfights, its not a good movie.  The Westerner, for example, is a waay better movie...

It's a point, but film freaks see this mostly different. Especially the directing. I have no clue how one can call this horrible?

Apart from some of the usual idiotic Ford "humour" it is an excellent film.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »

As I said, I like it more and more each time, particularly the Doc Holliday character. Also, you have to view this movie through the prism of the old world/new world theme.

Holliday is plagued by self-loathing. He is a doctor an honorable profession, like the domesticated new world but does not practice medicine, instead being a gambler and a gunfighter. He explicitly rejects domestication. Wyatt is the new world the sheriff, law and order. Doc chooses the wild girl old world Chihuahua, and rejects Clementine, the decent girl new world who is going to be a schoolmarm and bring civilization to the west. Wyatt and Clementine, who represent the new, domesticated world, are for each other.

The church dance it's an unfinished church bringing a sense of community to the West, ushering them into the new world. Even Shakespeare is coming to Tombstone.

Doc gets a last chance at redemption putting his medical skills to use by operating on Chihuahua but she dies. His self-loathing reaches an unbearable point, and now he has no more use for himself. Not that he is depressed over Chihuahua, but that he is depressed over his uselessness. Also, he had stopped drinking whiskey for a while, but now he starts drinking again. He has nothing to live for. And this world has no place for him now. When the Earps fight the Clantons, it's because they want peace. When Doc fights the Clantons, it's because he wants to die.

In the end, those who represent the old world Doc and Chihuahua (and, for that matter, the Clantons) die out. The new world has no place for gunfighters and crooks. But we can never forget that they are the ones who laid the groundwork for today's civilization. The gunfighters and gamblers and whores made settling the west happen, but now they have to leave once we are ushering in the new world of civilization. Very much like Once a Upon a Time in the West  in that regard.

Watch it again sometime in the future. I thought it was pretty good the first time I saw it, but not great. Watched it again after a while, a number of times, and I love it more and more every time.

p.s. watch the pre-release version if you haven't. IMO it is a better version of the movie; that's the version I always watch. (Watch it on the DVD, not the BRD. IMO, The theatrical version looks better on the BRD, but the pre-release version looks better on the DVD.)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:07:10 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »

Wow, Drink. Great post and great analysis.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »

Wow, Drink. Great post and great analysis.  Afro

Merci beaucop  Smiley

Waiting at bus station, heading from Washington back to NY. Tiring weekend but very enjoyable  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »

The Westerner has a very cool ending but in no way would I say it comes close to MDC, which is a beautifully directed, complex, highly analyzable movie.

I'd like to see someone write something like this about a movie like the Westerner.

As I said, I like it more and more each time, particularly the Doc Holliday character. Also, you have to view this movie through the prism of the old world/new world theme.

Holliday is plagued by self-loathing. He is a doctor an honorable profession, like the domesticated new world but does not practice medicine, instead being a gambler and a gunfighter. He explicitly rejects domestication. Wyatt is the new world the sheriff, law and order. Doc chooses the wild girl old world Chihuahua, and rejects Clementine, the decent girl new world who is going to be a schoolmarm and bring civilization to the west. Wyatt and Clementine, who represent the new, domesticated world, are for each other.

The church dance it's an unfinished church bringing a sense of community to the West, ushering them into the new world. Even Shakespeare is coming to Tombstone.

Doc gets a last chance at redemption putting his medical skills to use by operating on Chihuahua but she dies. His self-loathing reaches an unbearable point, and now he has no more use for himself. Not that he is depressed over Chihuahua, but that he is depressed over his uselessness. Also, he had stopped drinking whiskey for a while, but now he starts drinking again. He has nothing to live for. And this world has no place for him now. When the Earps fight the Clantons, it's because they want peace. When Doc fights the Clantons, it's because he wants to die.

In the end, those who represent the old world Doc and Chihuahua (and, for that matter, the Clantons) die out. The new world has no place for gunfighters and crooks. But we can never forget that they are the ones who laid the groundwork for today's civilization. The gunfighters and gamblers and whores made settling the west happen, but now they have to leave once we are ushering in the new world of civilization. Very much like Once a Upon a Time in the West  in that regard.

Watch it again sometime in the future. I thought it was pretty good the first time I saw it, but not great. Watched it again after a while, a number of times, and I love it more and more every time.

p.s. watch the pre-release version if you haven't. IMO it is a better version of the movie; that's the version I always watch. (Watch it on the DVD, not the BRD. IMO, The theatrical version looks better on the BRD, but the pre-release version looks better on the DVD.)

Afro

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM