Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 08:40:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sabata (1969)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sabata (1969)  (Read 21885 times)
HEX
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2005, 08:47:51 PM »

I got a different impression. During Sabata's first encounter with Carrincha, who was babbling on about fighting for the South at the Battle of Richmond...after he flipped him a coin..Carrincha says.."Ah..you understand". I took that to imply that Sabata also fought for the South.
As for Banjo's comment.. ...I took it to mean that Sabata had gone North..while Banjo had gone South..geographically speaking, either after their last encounter..or after the war.
That's how I understood it.

good points ANGEL but that still doesnt explain the blue union coat he is wearing in the beggining of the film.

maybe it is just an ordinary coat but i think otherwise.
youre explanation of BANJO'S quote is a little out there, i dont know if a buy it. it just seems that he is commenting on the war rather than anything else.

Christopher
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2006, 10:42:46 AM »

I've seen this set at Best Buy for $25 and I'm curious about them. I know nothing about the movies, and I'm not planning on spending that type of money right now anyhow, but I am curious to learn a little more about them. I would imagine we've got a decent number of threads on them.

Craig
Road Apple

People scare better when they're dying.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2006, 06:22:37 PM »

I've seen this set at Best Buy for $25 and I'm curious about them. I know nothing about the movies, and I'm not planning on spending that type of money right now anyhow, but I am curious to learn a little more about them. I would imagine we've got a decent number of threads on them.

I got mine at best Best Buy for $25 (also on the same day I bought the Special Edition of GBU which had a price of $21 but only rang up for $9.99 SWEET!). I won a $50 gift certificate so I went on A spree!

Anyway.... The trilogy has nice packaging, but there aren't any good extras or anything like that. The sound and picture quality are awesome though. I've only watched Sabata so far, I haven't had a chance to watch the other two.

Did you bring a horse for me? Well... looks like we're...*snickers*..looks like we're shy one horse. You brought two too many.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWkEOUT82o

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 01:41:51 AM »

Nine one buddy-should be in everyone's collection Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2007, 10:14:44 AM »

Well I posted this to advertise the good job somebody did on this fan trailer more than any other reason.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2007, 04:31:51 AM »

Leone Admirer's (not giving the movie a proper chance Grin)  review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Sabata

A film that ultimatly doesn't deliver, Sabata is still a little fun if heavily flawed western, saved by Van Cleefs performance and likeable personality.
      As Sabata (Lee Van Cleef) enters town, three pillars of society have arranged for the bank, which for a brief time holds $100,000 of army money, to be robbed so that they can buy land. Sabata is able to find the money and foil their plans, but decides to stay in town, to find out what else the head villain, Stengel (Franco Ressel) has in store. He teams up with an ex army man Carrincha (Ignazio Spalla) and a mute called Alley Cat. In town he meets and ex friend called Banjo (Wiliam Berger)  whos calling mark is his Banjo, and Sabata has to decided whether Banjo this time round is either friend or fo.
      The films opening is arresting, a stranger rides into town, which is shown through the riders POV, as the gang prepare to rob the bank. Once we establish that its Sabata that has entered the town we are shown his powers and his gun before the bank is robbed.
       Sabata has many elements to make it a good, film, however these elements are either taken to the extreme or not used enough and this seriously hurts the film.
       The film doesn't take itself too seriously, and this is shown in the ludicrous actions and gadgets that the characters have. Everything to dart guns, banjo guns (!) long firing rifles, staff guns, guns in bags you name it, it'll have a gun in it. This over reliance on the gadgets ruins the film, which is a shame because some, the gun in the bag and the two barreled gun that Sabata carries are interesting, but are then used too much. For me, the banjo gun was a step too far, also I wanted the annoying banjo to die in that scene.
        The use of circus performers, whilst adding to a sureal atmosphere do not help the film either. Seeing the Alley Cat doing cart wheels and large jumps just made him look like a spare wheel, as if the part written in the script was quite small and the actor and director (Gianfranco Parolini) had decided to increase his part.
        The film is also worst hit by the pathetic villain, Stengel. It seems that who ever was dubbing Ressel couldn't settle on either an English or German accent, and his overt feminine looks, I have to admit when he first came on screen, with the way he had been costumed he really did look like a man in drag, does not make an very effective villain. 
         As said before, its Van Cleef as Sabata that saves the movie from being a complete waste of precious celluloid. The film tries to make a statement from the begining that in this film he is different. They substitue his usual pipe smoking for a short cigar aka Clint. He seems a much for friendly and generous type of man in this film and perhaps Cleef feels, and I think looks a bt uncomfortable, when he is gently laughing to the 'humerous' playing of Alley Cat. The thing that I don't like about the character of Sabata (and this isn't down to Cleef) is that he is played as some kind of Superhero. He can throw a coin for some distance and be accuarate, he has an endless array of guns and gadgets and he is seemingly invincible. This adds to the light hearted aspect of the film but for me I didn't like it.
        William Berger's character of Banjo was an annoying loner who played irritating tunes on his banjo, boy was I glad when Sabata took a shot at it and hit. The character, whilst irritating does give some drama and conflict to a story thats lacking because of its inept villain. Berger's smug grin got on my nerves and I couldn't wait for him to disapear off screen, only near the end are we glad to see banjo, but for a different reason.
        Direction was overall tight by Parolini, he seemed to handle most action scenes well, building up tension. Others suffered from being too short or not having enough build up. Editing was of general good quality, as was the cinematography which made excellent use of the Spanish and Italian locations. Music was another low point of the movie, Sabata's theme was OK, but the annoying banjo and the use of very sparse music at other points during the feature hurt the film and allowed it to drag in some places.
      This film can be bought as part of The Sabata Trilogy Collection R1 DVD set which contains the three Sabata films, Sabata, Adios Sabata and Return of Sabata. I believe that the A/V is the same between R1 and R2 but if your a Sabata fan it may be worth buying the R1 set, though R2 buyers be warned, it contains the RCE coding.
      The DVD I watched was the MGM R2 version of the film. The picture quality was great, sharp, good colors, it was a bit muted but I believe that was the style that the director and DP, had chosen, and there was little print damage. The Mono soundtrack was also very good and is offered with German, French and Spanish Mono.
       There are no extras on this DVD, an annoying anti-piracy advert (I am against piracy but you can't skip the bloody thing and its a really rubbish advert) and has poor menu design.
        The film was overall a disapointment for me, Cleef was good but the rest of the film was below average. People who like Sabata will most likely own the R1 or R2 DVD's and will encourage people to watch it. Personally I would only recomend this film to Cleef fans and newcomers who liked the humerous sides of the spaghetti's.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »

I think it's a very good SW, maked with sense and it's really fulll with cool charakters.

How could sy find Banjo annoying? He's so cute and he has good lines. Not to mention the small jingling pieces on his clothes. Absolutely cool. I was afrais for him...  Wink

"Does this unit have a soul?"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »

I thought all these spags were parodies  Huh

Roll Eyes

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »

"SABATA" (1969) 6.5/10

One of the oddest films I've seen in a while, but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

What goes against it is a rambling and barely legible plot-line, and the usual problems with continuity and the fact that, technically, it's just not that good.
But what it has got in its favour is the director seems to have wanted to get all he could into a film and though at 1 and three quarter hours is probably a bit too long to warrant multiple viewings, it can be hilarious at times and well worth a look.

Some strange set pieces, the elaborate duel indoors is one in particular (the whole scene looks like something straight out of a Hammer film) and there's some fairly skilful and inventive camerawork along the way.
There's a bank heist carried out by bank robbers who are also talented acrobat artists; There's dynamite; A Gatling gun; Dynamite versus a Gatling gun; an Indiana Jones mine-cart sequence (although much truncated).

There's a knife throwing sidekick with a lucky medal; a presumably Native American deaf-mute who looks for all the world like the Boss Elf from Lord of the Rings using wire-work (yes wire work a la HongKong cinema!) to pounce from rooftop to rooftop….when not loitering about on said rooftops.
He's known as "The Alleycat" but appears from out of nowhere to the howl of a coyote.

I haven't the time to mention the James Bond gadgetry, but I will mention that there is, courtesy of Van Cleef, one of the most elaborate yet totally unnecessary traps laid in film history (it involves a picture frame and a mirror)

There's a character called Banjo whose character and musical ability I won't let out the bag, for those who have yet to see this. (One thing I'll mention is his strange unexplained and brief never to be repeated dream sequence, which is not explained and err….not repeated.)

The final line of the film could be great but it makes no sense at all, because they have been calling him "Sabata" all night long…although perhaps "Sabata" is a pseudonym.

hmmmm I'll check on that.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:06:06 PM by El_Chuncho » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sabata-Blu-ray/81632/#Review

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:40 AM »

The US Blu will be here soon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6D1QOA/ref=pe_340890_120398940_em_ti

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »

And the PQ news is good: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/sabata_blu-ray.htm

Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »

I don't know WHAT to say?  Just saw this movie.  Like has been said numerous times, its Wild Wild West meets James Bond.  It had good cinematography, good set pieces and some cool weapons.  The plot was a mess. Couldn't keep up with the turns and turns of it. Banjo and his jingling boots got on my nerves.   Van Cleef's sidekick got on my nerves.  This could've been a good film.  Like i said, i loved the cinematography and the set pieces.  I think the movie just outsmarted itself with too much stuff going on. The funny part is it would work TODAY,  in today's movie environment, this would make a great Wild Wild West piece.  Its the context in which you watch this film that makes it work or not.  If you go into it with a Wild Wild West vibe,  heck, even a Lone Ranger ( the latest one) vibe, this would be a great piece...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:29:46 PM by Moorman » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »

I don't know WHAT to say?  Just saw this movie.  Like has been said numerous times, its Wild Wild West meets James Bond.  It had good cinematography, good set pieces and some cool weapons.  The plot was a mess. Couldn't keep up with the turns and turns of it. Banjo and his jingling boots got on my nerves.   Van Cleef's sidekick got on my nerves.  This could've been a good film.  Like i said, i loved the cinematography and the set pieces.  I think the movie just outsmarted itself with too much stuff going on. The funny part is it would work TODAY,  in today's movie environment, this would make a great Wild Wild West piece.  Its the context in which you watch this film that makes it work or not.  If you go into it with a Wild Wild West vibe,  heck, even a Lone Ranger ( the latest one) vibe, this would be a great piece...

Exactly, I went through the same thing the first time I saw City Heat with Eastwood and Reynolds, I thought it was supposed to be a serious film, it was a comedy, it's entertaining if you know that at the get go.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:47:24 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM