Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:43:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jean-Pierre Melville
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jean-Pierre Melville  (Read 4981 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »

You don't understand my point at all (but I forgive you because you're an idiot.) Efficacy for others is completely beside the point. The tragic figure acts for his own benefit. He/she may hope others benefit from his/her action, but that is a secondary matter. He/she seeks transcendence, something he/she cannot help but do.

You can argue that Cassel is not a tragic figure, but I think that is an interpretive option worth leaving open. But I like the film more than you.

Your starting throwing offenses is your usual childish way to try to reinforce your weak assumptions. In fact you don't answer my objections. Your point that "the tragic figure acts for his own benefit" is debatable (you should specify what "benefit" means) but doesn't include the decisive adverb "foolishly" as it is case for Cassel, as his action, far from heroic, might end up in ridicule.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 04:33:07 AM »

Your starting throwing offenses is your usual childish way to try to reinforce your weak assumptions.
I don't know what you mean by "throwing offenses." I was parroting your own line from just a few posts ago. When you wrote "but I forgive you, as you have no sense of humor" were you trying to insult me? I did not take it so. I just saw that as a lame attempt at humor, and responded with some lame humor of my own. Of course my use of the term idiot was not meant to be offensive; I was merely stating what I see to be a fact. Granted, I am not a trained professional, and my finding is that of a layman's only, but I came by it honestly and would be willing to sign an affidavit to that effect. If pressed for evidence I would point to the thread called L'il Duce's Dog's Breakfast and the list of films compiled therein. No one reading through that list of mediocre selections and their assessments could have any doubt about the author's mental acuity. (What about the rare case where a "worthy" film was selected? These come under the heading Even a Stopped Clock is Correct Twice a Day.)

In fact you don't answer my objections.
Why the "s"? You have as far as I can determine only one objection: this film does not rise to the veracity of real life. This is hardly the kind of thing worth debating. And anyway, you only trot this truism out when it suits you. There are plenty of films that do not adequately encompass the complexity of all that is around us. For every film you denigrate for not being sufficiently realistic there is one you extol by ignoring its lack of verisimilitude. "Plot convenience" is a convention of narrative, filmed or otherwise. When the outcome of events is not unduly influenced by such a thing, most rational viewers overlook it.

Your point that "the tragic figure acts for his own benefit" is debatable (you should specify what "benefit" means)
I did, but you have ignored my remarks. Proof once again that you are not arguing in good faith, and are in fact trolling (which, when you leave your ghetto, is all you ever do on this board).

might end up in ridicule.
Feature films are, by definition, hypothetical. You intend, apparently, to lard a hypothetical with a hypothetical. This is fruitless, as William of Occam well knew. Troll titoli, engaging with you is always a waste of time. Goodbye.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »

I don't know what you mean by "throwing offenses." I was parroting your own line from just a few posts ago. When you wrote "but I forgive you, as you have no sense of humor" were you trying to insult me? I did not take it so. I just saw that as a lame attempt at humor, and responded with some lame humor of my own. Of course my use of the term idiot was not meant to be offensive; I was merely stating what I see to be a fact. Granted, I am not a trained professional, and my finding is that of a layman's only, but I came by it honestly and would be willing to sign an affidavit to that effect. If pressed for evidence I would point to the thread called L'il Duce's Dog's Breakfast and the list of films compiled therein. No one reading through that list of mediocre selections and their assessments could have any doubt about the author's mental acuity. (What about the rare case where a "worthy" film was selected? These come under the heading Even a Stopped Clock is Correct Twice a Day.)

Grin  Grin You're trying to overcome yourself in bs. Hard feat, I'll grant that. But you're in a corner and trying to extricate yourself and so you're going into hysterics. Anyway, thanx for being such an assiduous reader of my thread. Wish I could reciprocate.

Why the "s"? You have as far as I can determine only one objection: this film does not rise to the veracity of real life. This is hardly the kind of thing worth debating. And anyway, you only trot this truism out when it suits you. There are plenty of films that do not adequately encompass the complexity of all that is around us. For every film you denigrate for not being sufficiently realistic there is one you extol by ignoring its lack of verisimilitude. "Plot convenience" is a convention of narrative, filmed or otherwise. When the outcome of events is not unduly influenced by such a thing, most rational viewers overlook it.

No, you're making as usual lots of confusion. To support your thesis, of course. In a Bunuel's movie (I mean, something like Le charme discret or Le phantome ) you do not look for verisimilitude. In a movie like  AOS, based on real characters and real facts I expect verisimilitude all around. Why the "s"? Because, as I wrote, you have to ingest 1)  One denouncing himself to Gestapo 2) exposing himself to torture like it were a joke, not knowing if he'll end up denouncing his comrades 3) Not knowing if his scheme will succeed

I did, but you have ignored my remarks.
You think you did. That's different.

Feature films are, by definition, hypothetical.
  Uh? Bazin wouldn't agree

Troll titoli, engaging with you is always a waste of time. Goodbye.
Will you keep on reading my thread?

[/quote]

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »

Some people on these boards really lower the level of debate/discussion with the constant personal attacks. It's kind of annoying.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:06 AM »

Some people on these boards really lower the level of debate/discussion with the constant personal attacks. It's kind of annoying.

Yeah, especially when some people here consider defining another member of the board an "idiot" as paying him a compliment.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:40 AM »

Yeah, especially when some people here consider defining another member of the board an "idiot" as paying him a compliment.

You're absolutely correct.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2017, 03:11:08 AM »

Now 10 blus and 2 DVDs, 17 Oct.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »

He made 13 features. Which one is missing from this set? I bet it's L'aîné des Ferchaux/Magnet of Doom, the only film I haven't seen.

I'm not sure about buying this set. Within the past year I purchased a bunch of Melville BRD's and DVD's. The discs I have look nice, I wonder if this new boxset will be  a major upgrade visually.
There are a few movies I didn't purchase because they are not available (or very rare and expensive) in Region 1 (e.g., Le Doulos, Army of Shadows; Bob le Flambeur I got on digital download) but now that I just got a region-free BRD player I can look for those movies in Region 2. So, should I spend all this money (the boxset is currently listed on amazon.fr for 119 euros) on a 12-disc boxset containing a number of movies that I already have and a number of movies I have zero interest in (Le Silence de la Mer, Les Enfants Terrible) just for the 4 or so movies that I want? I won't be able to understand that French booklet anyway, and the bonus features will probably be in French and who knows if they'll be subtitled?

It may be safer for me to just wait; after the boxset is released, maybe some of the films will be released individually?

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »

Six of these will also get a UK boxset release: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=294278

Hopefully these will also get released separately, I'm mainly interested in Bob Le Flambeur and Le Doulos.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »

Six of these will also get a UK boxset release: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=294278

Hopefully these will also get released separately, I'm mainly interested in Bob Le Flambeur and Le Doulos.

Great news! The movies I don't own yet are mainly these six. Even if they are not released individually, I'll buy this boxset rather than the 12-disc French one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »

BONUS DVD INCLUDED IN THE BLU-RAY BOX SET

In the mood for Melville - documentary feature (52 min)
 24 Heures de la vie d'un clown – Melville short (22 min)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »

I checked Amazon.co.uk - the boxset does not appear to be available for purchase yet. Do the Brits not believe in pre-sales?

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2017, 01:20:21 AM »

I checked Amazon.co.uk - the boxset does not appear to be available for purchase yet. Do the Brits not believe in pre-sales?

Yes they do: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07534L84W Smiley

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2017, 02:41:50 AM »

--- Thanks! (Someone had posted that the set was called something like "Melville Essential" so I searched those words and that's why it never came up. I see now that the boxset is merely titled, "Jean-Pierre Melville.")

Release date for the 6-BRD British boxset is listed as December 4th. Can't wait!

I just did the pre-order. Although it's listed on Amazon.co.uk as 69.99 pounds, when I actually go through the steps to make the order, it says that the price is just 58.33 pounds, plus 3.08 pounds shipping and handling to USA. So total is 61.41 pounds. At the current exchange rate, that comes out to $79.19; but of course, the conversion won't be made my card is charged around the release date. So, I am rooting for the dollar to strengthen against the pound over the next few months  Wink

-- For those who want the 12-disc French boxset, pre-sale is available here https://goo.gl/F4ACK2 The boxset will be available October 17th. Cost right now is 119.99 euros for BRD boxset, and 99.99 euros for DVD boxset. Note, however, that according to blu-ray.com, even the BRD boxset has 2 films on DVD; only 10 of the films are BRD's. Also, don't assume that the French boxset will have English subtitles; before purchasing, make sure that it does.

-- There is further discussion of these boxsets at http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=294278

-- Also, Criterion will be releasing a BRD of Le Samourai on November 14. (Current price with the pre-order is $39.99) I recently purchased the Criterion DVD of that movie; I'll wait to see the reports on the BRD before deciding whether to double dip.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:35:01 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0731RR9B8/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1504216847&sr=1-2&keywords=Quand+tu+liras+cette+lettre

sous-titres: Anglais!

My favorite Melville, too. Yeah, baby!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM