Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2018, 04:55:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jean-Pierre Melville
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jean-Pierre Melville  (Read 6183 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2017, 01:25:03 AM »

My card was charged for the 6-disc British boxset. Including shipping to USA, it's around $60. Should arrive Dec. 19-23.

Update: they say now it'll arrive January 2. Can they really predict the delivery, to the day, from UK to USA? We'll find out ...

The boxset arrived on December 18!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »

You bathtub! I'm away for the holidays, so it doesn't matter how early mine arrives, I can't watch it until Jan. 3. Cry

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »

And your report, never. Thanks for nothing, chump.

Good thing ol DJ's back in town and can talk about his copy.

Bob: A definite upgrade from the Criterion DVD. Nice details EXCEPT when the black levels are turned up too high and they get crushed. On balance, though, a great image. I've never enjoyed watching this film more.

Leon: This has, as expected, the longer cut with the extra scenes put back in. I didn't do an A-B comparison with the Criterion blu regarding PQ.

Stoolie: This is all over the place as far as PQ is concerned. Some shots are exquisite. In others, black levels crush details, or there are weird things going on with the grain. It will take a few watches to decide if I prefer this over the Criterion DVD or not.

Army: I believe this is the same transfer Studio Canal has already released, which I have already commented on elsewhere, so I didn't bother to view it anew.

I'll check the other two films tonight, along with the bonus disc.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »

And your report, never. Thanks for nothing, chump.

Good thing ol DJ's back in town and can talk about his copy.

Bob: A definite upgrade from the Criterion DVD. Nice details EXCEPT when the black levels are turned up too high and they get crushed. On balance, though, a great image. I've never enjoyed watching this film more.

Leon: This has, as expected, the longer cut with the extra scenes put back in. I didn't do an A-B comparison with the Criterion blu regarding PQ.

Stoolie: This is all over the place as far as PQ is concerned. Some shots are exquisite. In others, black levels crush details, or there are weird things going on with the grain. It will take a few watches to decide if I prefer this over the Criterion DVD or not.

Army: I believe this is the same transfer Studio Canal has already released, which I have already commented on elsewhere, so I didn't bother to view it anew.

I'll check the other two films tonight, along with the bonus disc.

I believe you went to the symphony a few days ago and I am still awaiting your report here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12755.0 Tongue

I actually don't own any discs of these 6 movies (I've seen them, via iTunes or TCM or disc renatl in the past, but I don't own the discs) so I can't make a comparison. My only firm memory of a previous disc is of Le Doulos, I assume it was the Criterion DVD, having extremely harsh blacks, and I hated it. When I watched it  at Film Forum recently, I didn't notice that or it didn't seem to bother me. If you have the Criterion, I'd appreciate if you can compare the black levels on the two discs.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2018, 06:46:46 AM »

I believe you went to the symphony a few days ago and I am still awaiting your report here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12755.0 Tongue
No, that's not until the 14th. Thanks for arranging the tix, btw.

The Red Circle (1970): Wow, the Criterion blu is very good, but this is an upgrade (maybe its the same transfer but encoded differently). To my eye, the picture seems sharper, clearer (some grain issues, though). The big issue, though, is with skin tones. The Criterion image often gives the actors a ruddy complexion; the new SC disc gives the actors consistently good-looking skin. Yay!

This disc includes a fantastic documentary, Codename: Melville. Perhaps this is available elsewhere, but this is the first time I've seen it. Really fantastic interviews, plus lots of Melville audio and the occasional filmed moments as well. Has a biographical focus which is quite revealing about certain motifs that appear in the films.

A Cop (whenever): This is probably the best the film has ever looked on home video. Unhappily, the movie is a total turkey. The good things in it were done better in earlier films, the bad things . . . well, the less said, the better. This is the only Melville film I wish he'd never made.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »

A Cop (whenever): This is probably the best the film has ever looked on home video. Unhappily, the movie is a total turkey. The good things in it were done better in earlier films, the bad things . . . well, the less said, the better. This is the only Melville film I wish he'd never made.

It's not a total turkey. It's the worst of his crime films, but it's not pure trash. Certainly not his worst movie. That distinction goes to Les Enfants Terribles or When You Read This Letter  Tongue

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »

It's not a total turkey. It's the worst of his crime films, but it's not pure trash. Certainly not his worst movie. That distinction goes to Les Enfants Terribles or When You Read This Letter  Tongue
No, it's completely worthless. There's no reason for me to ever watch it again. As I said before, the good things in it are done better in his earlier films. Watching Delon drive around in his car is an interminable bore. The model work with the train and helicopter is risible. Deneuve is cast and then Melville does nothing with her. There's nothing of value here. It's a film only a dumbshit could love.

Although Les Enfants Terribles is not a good film it is at least interesting because it sheds light on both Cocteau's and Melville's predilections. WYRTL, of course, is one of the greatest films ever made--I see your attempt to wind me up, and I'm ignoring it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »

WYRTL, of course, is one of the greatest films ever made--I see your attempt to wind me up, and I'm ignoring it.

No, I REALLY dislike WYRTL  Tongue

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 06:17:05 AM »

That's because the Drink-like character in the film gets creamed by a train!  Grin

I watched the second half of Les Enfants Terribles again last night. The film improves a lot after the rich guy dies and leaves the sister all his money and his mansion. Maybe the change in setting improves things (they are finally able to move out of Melville's bedroom). Probably the thing that helps most is the change in the plot where the catastrophe begins to be prepared for. Once the sister learns how her brother and Agathe feel about each other, and she starts manipulating things, matters get a lot more interesting. Of course, Cocteau was going for tragedy--under the rigorous classical definition--and that doesn't really work in a modern setting (here's your quote, Jenkins watchers: "Tragedy is impossible in an ironic age.")

The worst thing about the film is Cocteau's narration. Man, talk about stepping all over Melville's mise en scene!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »

The bonus disc is not exactly essential. It contains Melville's first film, a short called 24 Heures de la vie d'un Clown (19 minutes) and an overlong documentary that tries unsuccessfully to link Melville to recent Asian crime cinema. The short is OK; the documentary is filled with filmmakers and "experts" who have nothing interesting to say.

The accompanying booklet contains a pompous essay by Antoine de Baecque, Jean-Pierre Melville, un vie with an intro by
Philippe Labro. Neither offers any startling revelations, but I guess they can provide a certain amount of entertainment for someone waiting for, say, a dental appointment.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2018, 10:37:14 PM »

No, that's not until the 14th. Thanks for arranging the tix, btw.

Pleasure. Enjoy the show, and send regards to Maestro Fischer and all our friends in the BFO  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2018, 05:44:43 AM »

The Jacob Burns is doing a Melville Retro March 1-8. All the usual suspects, but two (at least) will be in 35mm: Second Wind and Le Samouri. Might be worth making the trip.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM