Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:03:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Huge Sergio Leone exhibition in Turin, Italy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Huge Sergio Leone exhibition in Turin, Italy  (Read 6222 times)
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:28:06 AM »

A very interesting Sergio Leone exhibition, celebrating  FOD's fiftieth anniversary, is on from October 22 2014 until January 6 2015 at he Museo del Cinema in Turin, Italy. See:

http://www.arte.it/art-calendar/turin/exhibition-once-upon-a-time-in-italy-sergio-leone-s-cinema-11002

There are more than 180 interesting items and memorabilia; what I find particularly interesting, among others:
1. The original letter sent by the producers of FOD and Sergio  to Akiro Kurosawa, dealing with the well known Yojimbo "problem".
2. The original revolver and the Winchester used by Clint and Gian Maria Volontè in the final duel in FOD.
3. The very few pages which Sergio himself wrote concerning Leningrad (probably a rough outline only), the movie he was about to start.
4. Norman Mailer's script for Once upon a time in America.
5. The original scripts of the 3 dollar trilogy movies + Once upon a time in the West.
6. Sergio's passport and other private items
7. The original movie costumes
8. A rich collection of behind the scenes photos by Angelo Novi.

All his movies will be shown and there will be debates etc.
The exhibition is edited by Chris Frayling (who else..?) who apparently owns more then 1.000 Sergio Leone memorabilia.
I think I'll definetely drive to Turin, which luckily is only about one hour by car from Genoa where I live... Afro 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:07:48 AM »

Great you can give us a compleat report  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:20 AM »

Sounds very much like the Leone Exhibit I saw a decade ago at the Western Museum in Los Angeles.  So do not miss this.

Even had the the outfit from the films, on loan from Eastwood.  They did not allow photographs. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »

Sneak in a cellphone camera and snap away Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »

Sounds awesome.

1. The original letter sent by the producers of FOD and Sergio  to Akiro Kurosawa, dealing with the well known Yojimbo "problem".
3. The very few pages which Sergio himself wrote concerning Leningrad (probably a rough outline only), the movie he was about to start.

Definitely curious about these!

6. Sergio's passport and other private items

Hmm... why do you care to see his passport?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »

I'd like to know about this; according to Frayling, Leone only had an opening scene, (planned to be the most elaborate single shot in movie history) and a closing scene; and all Leone had officially filed was a paper with the title of the movie and that's all. I'd love to know what's actually there.

And btw, if you see Sir Christopher himself at the exhibit, you better tell him to sign up for this site so we can chat with him. And tell him to bring this exhibition to New York  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:39:15 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »

Some pics from the exhibit:

http://torino.repubblica.it/cronaca/2014/10/22/foto/colt_winchester_costumi_e_manifesti_il_mito_sergio_leone_rivive_a_torino-98725769/1/#1

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:09:33 PM by Jordan Krug » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »

I've been checking out airfares between NY and Turin, but they're prohibitively expensive. Still, if I thought they were selling reproductions of some of those posters, I'd do what I had to to get there . . . (that one for Giu la testa is amazing).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »

great stuff!

Leonardo
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:21 AM »

I've been checking out airfares between NY and Turin, but they're prohibitively expensive. Still, if I thought they were selling reproductions of some of those posters, I'd do what I had to to get there . . . (that one for Giu la testa is amazing).
You probably get much cheaper airfares from NY to Milano (Malpensa airport). From there, you can catch a train and in one hour you are in Turin. As to Novecento's question why I would like to see SL's passport, I can only say that I am interested in anything that concerns Leone, even if it was a pencil he used to doodle with.
I'm probably going to Turin sometime in november and if at all possible, I'll take a few photos of the most interesting and unusual stuff. Wink

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »

In Los Angeles, there was the entire "Man with no Name" outfit with snake pistols, boots, vest, poncho, etc.  I see a photo of the snake pistols here.  The harmonica was not in Los Angeles, I have a Hohner myself.  I liked the photo of different vinyl record covers on the wall.  In L.A. they had full size cut-outs of the beginning of Once/West, and kept playing the first 15 minutes or so repeat-style.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »

You probably get much cheaper airfares from NY to Milano (Malpensa airport). From there, you can catch a train and in one hour you are in Turin. As to Novecento's question why I would like to see SL's passport, I can only say that I am interested in anything that concerns Leone, even if it was a pencil he used to doodle with.
I'm probably going to Turin sometime in november and if at all possible, I'll take a few photos of the most interesting and unusual stuff. Wink

tell the people at the museum that there's a whole Leone contingent in New York that is waiting for this exhibit to be brought to the Big Apple  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »

You probably get much cheaper airfares from NY to Milano (Malpensa airport). From there, you can catch a train and in one hour you are in Turin.
Thanks, it does seem that airfares to Milano are considerably cheaper. What about the transfer to the train? Is it easy to do? And what's the train fare between Milano and Turin (if you know)? I'm still pretty sure this in not do-able for me, but I want to cost it out as accurately as I can to make sure.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:31:09 AM »

I finally made it early january to the exhibition in Turin, just a few days before they closed. Huge crowd, but quite interesting. Took a lot of photos, but in the end Jordan Krug's link shows much better quality pictures and at least without the flashlight reflecting in the glass like mine... Undecided Most of the stuff you can see in the photo link, but one of the interesting things not shown there is Kurosawa's letter to Jolly Film; it was written on a Tokyo Prince Hotel letterhead and it is dated 24 may, 1966. Tried to post the photo of the letter, but it didn't work, so here is the exact text:
Mr. Arrigo Colombo
JOLLY FILM
6 Largo Messico
Rome ITALY                                                                            May 24, 1966

Dear Mr. Colombo,

This will acknowledge that we Akira Kurosawa and Ryuzo Kikushima who are the sole and exclusive owners of all rights, titles and interests in and to the original screenplay entitled “YOJIMBO” written by Akira Kurosawa and Ryuzo Kikushima, including the copyright and the right to renew and extend the copyright, for all periods and throughout the world, have never granted any right and rights to any person, firm and / or corporation throughout the world with the exception of an irrevocable license to TOHO CO. LTD, Tokyo, to distribute forever throughout the world (dubbed and original language versions) of the Japanese language film made therefrom and originally released in 1961 in Japan.

The undersigned further acknowledge that we have granted to JOLLY FILM, Rome, the right to make, exploit and distribute only the picture therefrom entitled “PER UN PUGNO DI DOLLARI” (English title “FOR A FISTFUL OF MONEY”) forever and throughout the world with the exception of JAPAN including OKINAWA, SOUTH and NORTH KOREA and FORMOSA.

In witness, whereof we have executed the foregoing this TWENTYFOURTH day of MAY, 1966.

Signed: Akira Kurosawa & Ryuzo Kukushima
UNQUOTE
This is how these two gentlemen became very very rich... Smiley

Other interesting stuff were the original scripts of the dollar trilogy, finely bound in red book covers with golden letters (they were on exhibit with the books closed, so could not see the actual text inside), the script for OUATIA by Norman Mailer (the book was open on just two pages and since NM was sacked, I do not know how much he actually wrote between whisky bottles) and quite a few memorabilia and smaller stuff like sketches for costumes, locations etc. All in all, very interesting and definetely worth the 2 hour drive from Genoa.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:34:10 AM by Leonardo » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:11 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like fun.

Now, if only that exhibit would make its way to the States ...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM