Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 09:39:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why did he become producer in the 70s?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did he become producer in the 70s?  (Read 1970 times)
wind demon
Bandido

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:25 AM »

Not that theres anything wrong with that, seems like after he was done with his awesomeness he figured "i've done too much awesome, time to make others have the same level of awesome..."

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:24:51 AM »

Not that theres anything wrong with that, seems like after he was done with his awesomeness he figured "i've done too much awesome, time to make others have the same level of awesome..."

Frayling discusses it, either in his chapter entitled "KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN" or the one entitled "ENTR'ACTE," I forgot which one, that Leone at one point thought he'd become a creative producer with overall charge of a project, like David O. Selznick with Gone With the Wind, who wasn't the director but was the one in charge of the project

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »

Less dealing with obnoxious studio heads, I imagine.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:47:33 PM »

Maybe he felt he had gone as far as he could go as director of Westerns?
Seems also, a recurrent theme stated by some of his collaborators, that Leone was fundamentally insecure of himself, unsure if he could repeat successes. Maybe if he wasn't the credited director, he could take credit for successes and place blame elsehwere (i.e. on the credited director) for failures.
If that's the case, he may have partially accomplished that: many people (including some folks on these boards) consider MY NAME IS NOBODY a Leone movie, but there is virtually no mention of another Western he produced - A GENIUS, TWO PARTNERS, AND A DUPE" which supposedly is a bad movie (I have never seen it), everyone mentions "MY NAME IS NOBODY" but forgets "A GENIUS ..." when talking about Leone's Westerns

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:14:38 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »

Well, Nobody has its defenders and good points, plus Leone played a major role even if his exact contribution's in dispute. Genius is pretty lame, and Leone's imprint fairly minimal.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:44:51 AM »

If that's the case, he may have partially accomplished that: many people (including some folks on these boards) consider MY NAME IS NOBODY a Leone movie, but there is virtually no mention of another Western he produced - A GENIUS, TWO PARTNERS, AND A DUPE" which supposedly is a bad movie (I have never seen it), everyone mentions "MY NAME IS NOBODY" but forgets "A GENIUS ..." when talking about Leone's Westerns

Cause Un genio is not considered as a Leone film, cause he most likely only produced it without having much interest in it. He also directed the first scene, but it is still an ordinary scene which anyone else could have done who imitates some Leone trademarks.

Unlike MNIN Un genio has no connections with Leone's other westerns and is a mere comedy, a mere vehicle for it's star.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:02 AM »

Cause Un genio is not considered as a Leone film, cause he most likely only produced it without having much interest in it. He also directed the first scene, but it is still an ordinary scene which anyone else could have done who imitates some Leone trademarks.

Unlike MNIN Un genio has no connections with Leone's other westerns and is a mere comedy, a mere vehicle for it's star.

Is it possible, maybe just maybe, that people assume Leone had more to do with MNIN because it is a better movie?

And sorry to disappoint you, but MNIN is a comedy, too. Maybe it has a theme of the end of the West or more specifically, the end of the Western, or the end of the AW and the SW being the new kid on the block, but it is still a comedy. Having a speech by Fonda at the end doesn't change that. I know you wish that some scenes would have been deleted which you think would have turned the movie into a drama, but the bottom line is that the scenes are in there, the movie is a comedy, and I don't know one person other than you who thinks MNIN is anything other than a comedy.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »

Is it possible, maybe just maybe, that people assume Leone had more to do with MNIN because it is a better movie?

No. It's a fact that Leone had far more to do with MNIN; the debate is only over how much. Leone produced other films as well as "Genius", but MNIN is the only contentious one in terms of influence.

I disagree. I think it is a great scene that Leone can be proud of.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »

Really?
I think it is one of his weaker scenes, not bad, but normal. Damiani wouldn't have made this scene less good.

While the stuff in MNIN, which Leone claimed as his, is on par with his best scenes.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM