Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:29:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Post your rating system here
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your rating system here  (Read 2371 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »

Okay, there's been lotsa talk lately about each person's rating systems in various threads.

How about we each just post our rating system here and that way anytime anyone wants to know about someone's rating system they can find it in one place here (and we can have this one poisoned thread instead of poisoning all the other threads with discussions of ratings  Wink ) and everyone can know what your numbers mean as far as recommendations are concerned:
-----

I'll go first:

05.5/10 = Crap
6-6.5/10 = Mediocre
7/10 = Decent
7.5/10 = Good
89/10 = Very Good
9.5/10 = Great
10/10 = the Greatest of the Great

8/10 or above means it's a really good movie that I recommend you go and make an effort to see it (by renting or streaming or however you watch movies).
7-7.5/10 means that if it's on TCM, it's worth a look, but I wouldn't necessarily say that you need to make an effort to go and watch it.
6.5/10 or below means don't waste your time with it
(But of course, there is a scale, e.g., a 1/10 is a bigger time-waster and annoyance than a 6.5/10; and a 9/10 is a stronger "get out and see it" encouragement than an 8/10)

Smiley

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:21:13 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »

Out of 1-10 scale

1-3: Has to be monumentally bad but I'd usually shut it off before it got to the point where I can rate it.

4-5: Has to lack a lot of redeeming qualities, the movie was poorly directed with a bad script, has bad visuals, a bland score, is too long, etc.

6-6.5: This is where I'll usually rank the movies that I don't like because there was something of value to create interest in the first place but it falls short as a whole.

7-7.5: Passing grade, a solid movie that I'll probably never watch again and most likely won't remember all that much from.

8-8.5: Something that will stick with me that I'll revisit in the future and own a copy of the movie.

9: Barely missing something, great movie.

9.5-10: One of my favorite movies, which usually means that I think it's one of the best 150-200 movies or so ever made, unless it's 80s horror then it's just a personal favorite.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:46:40 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

D&D, you're a funny man.

Mine is pretty forward. My ratings are dictated by those 3 landmarks:

0 = nothing to save (it's so rare it may be an hypothetical rank)
5 = barely watchable, but watchable
10 = masterpiece (top 20 or so)

The scale is linear although I rate a lot of "almost 10" between 9 and 9.5 so that "10" is only for true masterpieces. Apart from that, if a movie is under 5 I usually mean that it shouldn't exist, if it's above 5, it's a good thing for humanity, moviegoers or just me.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:10:14 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »

0 bad
2 mediocre
4 ok to watch
6 good
10 masterthingywhatever

I still don't understand why using a 10 point system when anything beyond 6 is already bad. (not to mention Drinks anything beneath 9,9 is utter crap)

It is not important to know how bad a film is, bad is bad is boring.

In my system a 5er is half as good as a 10er, so it makes also mathematically some sense. (but mathematicians usually have no sense for any kind of art)

Oh, and some films are so good that I give them a 11 or even a 12/10. Mathematically tricky, but it has something to say, it makes mankind happy ...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:52:42 PM by stanton » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »

I don't know if I can speak for all 'mericans but I tend to think the 1-10 rating system reflects the US grading system. A 6/10 is a low D in college and usually an F in the 1st-12th grades. Also, in my opinion, most movies usually deserve some points for being professionally made, the reason why the 1-5 grades aren't used is because movies usually have some redeeming qualities, and things can be worse, like a typical amateur feature film. Those are the true 1-4's imo.

FWIW I actually like the letter grade scales a little better, the F-A+ scale. Not that this is an important issue or anything.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:22:46 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »

0 - 3 => The monumentally bad movies get this rating. Not only they are bad, as if that wasn't enough, but they usually do not posses any redeeming quality, or what's more important - charm.

3 - 5 => These are almost as bad, yet there's the underlying sense that something went (terribly) wrong in the background of whoever was responsible for the production (the author?), without the conscious - yet with the subconscious - perception of this peril all along. Hence the benefit of the doubt.

5 - 6 => These are actually the worst: these movies, the boys and girls that put a lot of effort in 'em, think they're worth far more than they actually are. What's more scary - a got chunk of the audience often does too. Mostly mainstream but also ''serious issue'' movies happen to fall in this category quite often. ''Cult classics'' are no strangers also.

6 - 6.5 => This is often the break point between movies I want and don't want to see ever again.

6.5 - 7.3 => These are not as good as they could have been, but are worth the effort for one way or another. If anything, to see why they aren't better. Often times they also happen to be entertaining, and also a certain honesty emanates from 'em. You love 'em, yet you know why others don't. This is the ''love category''.

7.3 - 7.8 => Purgatory. Could have been great if they were stronger with the force. If somebody put that extra 10 % percent of enthusiastic energy in 'em. If and could, two old pals. Yet there was none to be found to do that. It happens quite a lot with these that the intention was to have no further intention. Movies with quality relaxing and entertaining values end up here. Good as they are, you also know why they aren't better.

$$$$$ From here on the day becomes (somewhat) better after watching these movies, or even better after barely thinking about watching 'em.

7.8 - 8.5
=> Rollers. Since every story ever told was told a x,y,z-illion times, these movies tell one of these stories again (or more of them mashed together into one) but with a certain upgraded, original or fervorous touch. A twist of lemon, or allspice.

8.5 - 9.0 => Masterworks. Even if with flawed starting ideas (which is rare) they come in full swing and you know they're great, even if you don't have a preference for 'em they menage to have some captivating and extraordinary quality.

9.0 - 9.5 => Gods. The sort of movie you watch and get out of the house/cinema feeling like you witnessed something great (to your dismay, only to realize others around you didn't).

9.5+ => Have it all, and more, and better, and more forceful, and... and... and... and... Precious few, GBU and company.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:20:41 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »

More or less Dust Devil's. I'm a bit harsher toward my 6's though. Also I feel that every point for me is a huge difference (an 8 is significantly stronger than a 7....a 9 significantly stronger than an Cool.

8.5+ I really rave about. There's at very most 20 movies I'd give a 10.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »

0 - 3 => The monumentally bad movies get this rating. Not only they are bad, as if that wasn't enough, but they usually do not posses any redeeming quality, or what's more important - charm.

3 - 5 => These are almost as bad, yet there's the underlying sense that something went (terribly) wrong in the background of whoever was responsible for the production (the author?), without the conscious - yet with the subconscious - perception of this peril all along. Hence the benefit of the doubt.

So you use 4 of 11 possible points to differentiate between monumental shit. And 3 more points for films which are pretty close to monumental shit. Leaves you with 5 for the good ones, but wait, a 6 sounds also like a waste of time.

I try to give points for the amount of ideas and the level of entertainment I find in films. A film with 2 points has already something to offer.
And by that I can use the whole scale for the films.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »

stanton, I don't see why you need the ratings to mean percentiles.  am rating based on my own opinion of what is good/great/bad, etc.; I am not grouping films into percentiles.

And how can you group films into percentiles? Have you seen all movies ever made? In fact, none of us has even seen 1% of all movies ever made. Therefore, how can we group into percentiles? Or are you only using percentiles of the movies I have seen which would make your  ratings system an ever-changing one. And what of the many movies that I've seen and turned off after a few minutes cuz they were so bad, but I wouldn't rate cuz I didn't finish them - are those included in the percentile groupings?

I see nothing wrong with having much more movies having one rating than another. If you are bothered by the fact that some numbers are used more than others (i.e. 7 out of 11 numbers are bad, while 4 out of 11 numbers are good), well, it just so happens to be even if I were using percentiles that far more movies have been made that are bad than are good. (The same is true with just about every work of art - music, paintings, whatever. I am sure that most people dislike the vast majority of artworks they come across in any area of art. What % of songs that you come across do you like? For me, it's far less than 20%.
If you count the movies I shut off after a few minutes (and therefore never gave an official rating to), then yeah, much much more movies are bad than good IMO. Therefore, my rating system would work even if we were using percentiles (in fact, if we were using percentiles, I'd probably use even less numbers for 'Good' than I do now).

oh, and do you rate babes on a 1/10 scale? Do you consider a 6/10 to be a pretty girl?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 02:58:12 AM »

maybe some of you have figured out what n_l couldn't: that I made this thread devoted to ratings discussions not cuz ratings discussions are so exciting, but for the opposite reason: to make sure those discussions of ratings will stop infecting every other thread on these boards ... better to have one annoying thread here, and get those annoying discussions away from every other thread  Evil

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:07:26 AM »

oh, and do you rate babes on a 1/10 scale? Do you consider a 6/10 to be a pretty girl?

I suspect this is the real reason why you started this thread.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:08:58 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »

stanton, I don't see why you need the ratings to mean percentiles.  am rating based on my own opinion of what is good/great/bad, etc.; I am not grouping films into percentiles.

And how can you group films into percentiles? Have you seen all movies ever made? In fact, none of us has even seen 1% of all movies ever made. Therefore, how can we group into percentiles? Or are you only using percentiles of the movies I have seen which would make your  ratings system an ever-changing one. And what of the many movies that I've seen and turned off after a few minutes cuz they were so bad, but I wouldn't rate cuz I didn't finish them - are those included in the percentile groupings?

I see nothing wrong with having much more movies having one rating than another. If you are bothered by the fact that some numbers are used more than others (i.e. 7 out of 11 numbers are bad, while 4 out of 11 numbers are good), well, it just so happens to be even if I were using percentiles that far more movies have been made that are bad than are good. (The same is true with just about every work of art - music, paintings, whatever. I am sure that most people dislike the vast majority of artworks they come across in any area of art. What % of songs that you come across do you like? For me, it's far less than 20%.
If you count the movies I shut off after a few minutes (and therefore never gave an official rating to), then yeah, much much more movies are bad than good IMO. Therefore, my rating system would work even if we were using percentiles (in fact, if we were using percentiles, I'd probably use even less numbers for 'Good' than I do now).

This is a somehow confuse post.  hmm ...

What do have percentiles to do with what I wrote?

Or how much films I have watched? (most likely much more than 1%)

Actually I don't see how anything of your post can be questioning my extremely reasonable (Wink ) rating. (the smiley is for all those who take life too serious)

And of course would a 6/10 mean that a girl is pretty, but I never rated girls on any kind of scale.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »

I suspect this is the real reason why you started this thread.

No, but it should have been. Would have been a lot more interesting than talking about rating movies (but not any less subjective)  Wink

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »

I usually don't rate them as meticulously if they go beneath what I think is 50 %, but hey, ever once and a while I do. That's why distinctions, laws and directives exist anyway, even if in the final interpretation they do not have to be followed thoroughly. Same thing goes for the higher grades.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:09:32 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 12:40:40 AM »

Just found this on Groggy's blog. Please note that it's quite close from my rating system so that's 2 of us and also D&D is very wrong.

What's your rating scale based on?

It's a ten-scale, and it goes roughly like this:

10/10 - Masterpiece
9/10 - Highest Recommendation
8/10 - Highly Recommended
7/10 - Recommended
6/10 - Use Your Own Discretion.
5/10 - Fair
4/10 - Mediocre
3/10 - Bad
2/10 - Awful
1/10 - Excrement