Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:14:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  (Read 46250 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »

You'll probably get a kick out of the Spaghetti Westerns of Tomas Milian and Franco Nero along with those of Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef,  they were in some great ones, Gian Maria Volonte was also in A Bullet For The General a must see too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »

I never had a problem with Angel Eyes popping up in uniform in the camp. On the contrary. It suits the script and his characterization - the guy does everything to get the gold. He has the information he needs and with the downfall of the confederate army he will be where Baker will wind up... It also makes him more menacing, almost super-evil.

DA UOMO is a fine film, not in the Top 15, but Top 25 certainly. Slightly too long but quite good considering all the mediocre westerns that were produced in those years to make a quick bug. LAW had a great year back then: BARBARELLA, DIABOLIK, DA UOMO ....

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2017, 06:09:40 AM »

I never had a problem with Angel Eyes popping up in uniform in the camp. On the contrary. It suits the script and his characterization - the guy does everything to get the gold.
In terms of drama, yeah. But narratively we all end up asking, How did he get there? CJ's explanation is the best I've ever read.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »

You'll probably get a kick out of the Spaghetti Westerns of Tomas Milian and Franco Nero along with those of Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef,  they were in some great ones, Gian Maria Volonte was also in A Bullet For The General a must see too.

Thanx for the heads up on that. I'm looking thru the sphagetti western database for movies by Milian, Nero and Volonte...  The Great Silence looks promising.  A Bullet for the General and The Mercenary also...

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2017, 06:25:28 AM »

In terms of drama, yeah. But narratively we all end up asking, How did he get there? CJ's explanation is the best I've ever read.

AND got RANK...LOL  Not only did he pop up, but if I'm not mistaken, he is RUNNING the camp... Thats a lot in a short amount of time...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »

The Great Silence looks promising.  A Bullet for the General and The Mercenary also...

Watch these 3 and Cemetery without Crosses. You hardly find better SWs apart from Leone.

Death Rides a Horse is way beneath them for me. Surely not one of the 50 best.

An insider tip is El puro (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)) which uses a very Morricone like score (very, very similar to FoD and GBU) by Allesandro Allesandroni to tell a quite unusual story with offbeat characters and is surprisingly well made. You can download a sufficient enough VHS rip here: http://rarelust.com/the-rewards-yours-the-mans-mine-1969/

Everybody here watch it ...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »

AND got RANK...LOL  Not only did he pop up, but if I'm not mistaken, he is RUNNING the camp... Thats a lot in a short amount of time...

It's actually more time than you think. You got to also keep in mind that the film spans a time period of 8 months.

He's running the camp because the Captain has gangrene, when Tuco and Blondie are captured they would have been marched on foot up to Denver then East to Leavenworth, where as Angel Eyes would have rode directly diagonally there. For him traveling say 30 miles a day he would have got there in 25 to 30 days. He would have been there about a month before Tuco and Blondie plenty of time to set himself up as is shown in the film.

From timeline:

July - 1862: Blondie & Tuco marched into Batterville Camp, from Ft. Craig, 1,020 miles ( at a pace of about 15 or 20 + or - miles a day, over the Santa Fe trail. It would have taken them about 50 -65 days) to this fictitious camp (again, the closest real Union POW camp was in Illinois). This site also is located near the longest railroad existing at the time (St. Joseph & Hannibal RR) west of the Mississippi. Tuco is tortured and tells AE that Sad Hill near Ft. Smith Arkansas is the name of the cemetery. Tuco & Wallace to St. Joseph & Hannibal RR. After ten hours on the train Tuco escapes and catches the next train back. Tuco tracks AE & Blondie South towards Ft. Smith, and Sad Hill. AE & Blondie & AE's gang traveling about 30 miles per day and Tuco traveling about 40 miles per day both reach Ft. Smith at the same time. (Ft. Smith, Arkansas changed hands several times during the Civil War and makes a good candidate for the battered town on a major river the Arkansas.) Tuco kills one armed bounty hunter who has been on the lookout for him for eight months. B&T kill AEs gang and head for Sad Hill.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »

It's actually more time than you think. You got to also keep in mind that the film spans a time period of 8 months.

He's running the camp because the Captain has gangrene, when Tuco and Blondie are captured they would have been marched on foot up to Denver then East to Leavenworth, where as Angel Eyes would have rode directly diagonally there. For him traveling say 30 miles a day he would have got there in 25 to 30 days. He would have been there about a month before Tuco and Blondie plenty of time to set himself up as is shown in the film.

From timeline:

July - 1862: Blondie & Tuco marched into Batterville Camp, from Ft. Craig, 1,020 miles ( at a pace of about 15 or 20 + or - miles a day, over the Santa Fe trail. It would have taken them about 50 -65 days) to this fictitious camp (again, the closest real Union POW camp was in Illinois). This site also is located near the longest railroad existing at the time (St. Joseph & Hannibal RR) west of the Mississippi. Tuco is tortured and tells AE that Sad Hill near Ft. Smith Arkansas is the name of the cemetery. Tuco & Wallace to St. Joseph & Hannibal RR. After ten hours on the train Tuco escapes and catches the next train back. Tuco tracks AE & Blondie South towards Ft. Smith, and Sad Hill. AE & Blondie & AE's gang traveling about 30 miles per day and Tuco traveling about 40 miles per day both reach Ft. Smith at the same time. (Ft. Smith, Arkansas changed hands several times during the Civil War and makes a good candidate for the battered town on a major river the Arkansas.) Tuco kills one armed bounty hunter who has been on the lookout for him for eight months. B&T kill AEs gang and head for Sad Hill.

Gonna move my response over to the GBU threads so as to not mix it up too much with this thread.

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »

Watch these 3 and Cemetery without Crosses. You hardly find better SWs apart from Leone.

Death Rides a Horse is way beneath them for me. Surely not one of the 50 best.

An insider tip is El puro (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)) which uses a very Morricone like score (very, very similar to FoD and GBU) by Allesandro Allesandroni to tell a quite unusual story with offbeat characters and is surprisingly well made. You can download a sufficient enough VHS rip here: http://rarelust.com/the-rewards-yours-the-mans-mine-1969/

Everybody here watch it ...

I see why you posted the link. I cant find this movie anywhere available on DVD or Blu Ray.  I wanna check this out.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »

I have the 161 minute version. I always hated that he just pops up, booted and suited as a officer, no explanation given. And even so, its still awkward to explain it instead of showing how he got his position.

You have to watch the 177-minute version. Its on all blu rays and on the MGM Special Edition DVD

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »

I see why you posted the link. I cant find this movie anywhere available on DVD or Blu Ray.  I wanna check this out.

No DVD available, at least none which is worth the name.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »

New Edition? What the heck is this? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01M585JEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

A re-pack of the earlier Blu. Now only the film, no bonus, but cheap.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »

Watched it after a looooong time: it's a decently entertaining 7/10, though a lot seems familiar, not to say cheap in places.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM