Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:25:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  City Streets (1931)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City Streets (1931)  (Read 792 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:50:09 AM »

Saw it with at the Film Forum with dave jenkins, drinksandestroys, and my wife. A Rouben Mamoulian directed Paramount film with Gary Cooper, Silvia Sydney a neat little gangster film that is credited with being the first to utilize the voice over. Entertaining for a 1931 film, here is a link to a better review than I can make from Immortal Ephemera:

http://immortalephemera.com/47387/city-streets-1931/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »

I enjoyed this immensely, CJ. The Alibi By Cigar Ash was very clever (and very Dashiell), and the performance by Guy Kibbee (as Pop Cooley) particularly enjoyable. The running gag "No Hard Feelings" worked pretty well, so much so, even Drink picked up on it. And he doesn't like comedies. The fact that murder and mayham is being done throughout all for beer was a scream--forget pre-code, these pre-21st Amendment movies have the really risqué stuff. The ending was a bit of a let-down, but on balance I was mightily entertained.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »

I didn't like this much, for me it was more funny unintentionally, the silly tough-guy talk, like I was laughing at the movie rather than with it.

yes, the cigar trick was funny.

No hard feelings  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »

Tell ya something funny: I just realized that I've already seen this movie!

A few of the scenes felt vaguely familiar, I figured I probably watched the first few minutes on TCM once and then shut it off. But I just went on IMDB and saw that I have given the movie a rating (6/10) – and I never rate a movie unless I have seen it fully. And now I vaguely remember something about that shooting business with the two girls. And I keep a list of movies I've seen, and the movie is on this list.
So that's kinda funny, I didn't realize till I checked my list that I've already seen this movie. Probably saw it on TCM once and (almost) totally forgot about it  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »

I got a kick out the ridiculous mink collar overcoat that Gary Cooper sported also. And Paul Lukas was very good as Mister Big.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »

I got a kick out the ridiculous mink collar overcoat that Gary Cooper sported also. And Paul Lukas was very good as Mister Big.

true and true.

But every time I hear Paul Lukas's name, I think of him winning an Oscar for Watch on the Rhine over Bogie for Casablanca. I've never seen WotR, but Bogie in Casablanca is one of the greatest performances of all time. That's gotta be one of the all-time worst Oscar snubs. (And when Bogie finally won his Oscar, it was also one of the worst snubs ever; Brando should have won for A Streetcar Named Desire.)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »

Tell ya something funny: I just realized that I've already seen this movie!

A few of the scenes felt vaguely familiar, I figured I probably watched the first few minutes on TCM once and then shut it off. But I just went on IMDB and saw that I have given the movie a rating (6/10) – and I never rate a movie unless I have seen it fully. And now I vaguely remember something about that shooting business with the two girls. And I keep a list of movies I've seen, and the movie is on this list.
So that's kinda funny, I didn't realize till I checked my list that I've already seen this movie. Probably saw it on TCM once and (almost) totally forgot about it  Grin
Time to swear off the sauce, kid. Drink and it'll Destroy every gray cell in yer head.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:47:46 AM »

Even (low voice) BEER?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM