Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:47:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  BURT LANCASTER
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BURT LANCASTER  (Read 3951 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:12:28 AM »

Just watched the 1957 ALEXANDER MACKENDRICK classic, THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCESS! What a movie. And what a central performance from BURT LANCASTER as, what surely must be one of the screens all time bad men, J.J. HUNSECKER!
Can't help wondering what LANCASTER would have done with the role of FRANK?

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 07:30:13 AM »

Just watched the 1957 ALEXANDER MACKENDRICK classic, THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCESS! What a movie. And what a central performance from BURT LANCASTER as, what surely must be one of the screens all time bad men, J.J. HUNSECKER!
Can't help wondering what LANCASTER would have done with the role of FRANK?

Burt Lancaster was one of the greats....

BUT WHY IN THE NAME OF SAM COLT DO YOU WANT SOMEBODY ELSE THAN HENRY FONDA IN THAT ROLE?Huh?

It's almost blasphemy...  Angry

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 12:12:51 PM »

Just whittling on a piece of wood, my friend, and daydreaming about what might have bin'! Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 08:05:23 PM »

If you want to see Burt Lancaster in a Spaghetti flavored flick, check out The Professionals - one of the first Hollywood Westerns that was influenced by our man.

More feeling.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 12:06:19 PM »

it isn't a great movie... it was pretty boring... exept one scene, which is beautiful (the fight between burt lancaster and his old friends). Peckinpah could have done something great with that (he hated the movie; and he told everybody that he did the wild bunch as a reaction to the way violence is showed in the professionals), especially with this scene.

But it's always a pleasure to see woodie strode and claudia cardinale in the same movie, the same year than OUATITW...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 03:21:16 PM »

I liked this film a little better than noodles but there is one kind of dopey scene where they have a chalk drawing on the wall, it just looks a bit too amatureish and its such a simple set up that they would'nt need it anyway. Woody Strode is great as always.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:13:18 PM »

The Professionals is underrated,  The Wild Bunch is overrated.

More feeling.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 10:24:01 PM »

Just whittling on a piece of wood, my friend, and daydreaming about what might have bin'! Wink

Interesting thought... but when you have perfection you don't usually think how it could be worse, even if still great.

Fonda IS Frank

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 12:27:03 PM »

two kinds: i was thinking, some years ago, that peckinpah was overrated. I had seen the iron cross, the wild bunch, pat garret and billy the kid, getaway... it was only interresting on my opinion. Telling the truth, this is not the kind of movie i love the first time i see them. But after having whatch them, i've read a little about that guy, i spoke with some fans, i though about those movies... and finaly, i liked them more and more before seeing them twice.
And no one can deny, even peckipah's biggest detractors, that this guy has never had any influence on cinema (without him, there is no john woo, without john woo, there is no matrix; without peckipah, what would look like scorsese's edditing?...). We must also admit his talent as an editor, even if some of you don't like his camerawork or (so do i) think that his scripts are never moving... Even if of course, i sometimes get a little bored whatching the wild buch now (i've seen it 4 times i think), which does never happen when i watch OUATITW (i've seen it... well, i can't know, i lost my counts after 20 times).

Ok, this was an off topic discussion, i stop right there.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 01:01:30 PM »

I appreciate SP but I don't put him in Leone's league or even close.   As for John Woo, he learned a lot more as Chang Cheh's assistant on ultra-violent Kung Fu flicks than he did from old Sam.  

More feeling.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 08:28:48 AM »

i can't see anybody even close to leone. He was unic; i think we lost the greatest filmaker we can imagine in 1989 Sad

LVC died the same year Sad

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM