Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:36:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Colt .45 (1950)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Colt .45 (1950)  (Read 1571 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »

A good example of your average B- 50's Western with Randolph Scott, Ruth Roman, Zachary Scott, Lloyd Bridges, Alan Hale, Ian MacDonald, and Chief Thundercloud, there is a scene where Zachary Scott knocks a lantern off a post and its hanging by its electric cord.  Also for those who care the guns used in the film are Colt cap and ball percussion revolvers which is unusual for the majority of Westerns. However if I'm not mistaken they were only made in .36 or .44 caliber not .45 oops! I watched it so I say it gets a 6/10.

The chief baddie is a real  sleazy pencil necked spineless geek who is effective in showing his transformation into a cold blooded killer each time he gets the .45's in his hands, its mostly forgettable though.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:08:42 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »

just saw this on TCM, I agree, it gets a 6/10

The Technicolor Westerns from this period are usually pretty to look at if nothing else, though in thus movie, the color looked really uneven - e.g. in one shot it could be very bright, in the next shot very dark; the colors could change from shot to shot. Of course, I don't know if it was poorly filmed or if the print degraded, etc. Supposedly those old Technicolor films don't fade?

Anyway, a mediocre movie across the board.

And btw, ya know how some gunmen tie the bottom of their holsters down with a string around their thigh? Well, in every movie I have seen where the gunmen do that, the string is dark, like the same color as their pants; but in this movie, Scott & Scott (Randolph & Zachary) wear thick bright yellow strings, sticks out ridiculously, looks awfully silly.

I generally really like Zachary's performances both as good guys and in his stereotypical sleazy roles, but I can't recall ever seeing him like this, as the thoroughly evil snarling bad guy. And I didn't like him that much here. He definitely wasn't awful, but I like his other performances better.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM