Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 08:31:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Anachronisms in GBU
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anachronisms in GBU  (Read 7492 times)
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 03:16:27 AM »

It goes without saying that 1) Anachronisms abound in this film; and 2) regardless of this, GBU is still fantastic.

Obviously this could be a long list, but here are three anachronisms beyond mere props that fill out a scene but involve an integral part of the plot:

1)  Firearms issues.   You don't have to be a gun nut to know that at the time of the civil war, repeating shot pistols and rifles were rare and certainly not available in the number and diverse models that Tuco used to assemble his revolver.

2)  Dynamite.  Nobel invented this stuff in 1866, one year after the civil war ended and atleast a couple years after Bondie and Tuco used it to blow the bridge.

3)  Half tone photography.  Do I remember this correctly that the wanted photos of Tuco were printed?  It wasn't until the 1890s that this process was introduced.  

I recall hearing that there is a long lost deleted scene in which it is revealed that Tuco and Blondie are in fact time travellers.  Wink

It's class.
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »

Joe,

I vacationed in China this year and the tour included 7 days on a tour boat up the Yangteze River.  One evening I was standing outside on the boat watching the smaller cities lining the banks of the River below the Three River Gorges Dam, when I saw a working steam engine switching cars in a yard.  Nineteenth Century technology at work in 21st Century China.  Cool.

Frank

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 05:04:44 PM »

Yea that must have been cool, they still build them there, and I read somewhere not too long back a steam excursion company somewhere in the US purchased a Chinese locomotive for their runs. They built only two or three standard engines but they are all American prototypes.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:06:34 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 05:48:05 PM »

We are recalling from memory here, so could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Chinese locomotive company ceased building steam a couple of years back.

The excursion company ordered a Chinese 2-6-0 built like an American unit about 10 years ago but the ship bringing it over sank.  They did not re-order, for what ever reason.  (This was in Trains)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 09:28:22 PM »

The one I saw was already in operation there was a picture of it on a trestle.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM