Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:18:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Influences to each of his movies/his own favorite of his?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Influences to each of his movies/his own favorite of his?  (Read 2415 times)
wind demon
Bandido

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:06:36 AM »

These are the main influences to each of his works, and what about the unknown ones?

Fistful: Yojimbo
Fora a few: Vera Cruz
GBU: Don Quixote
West: ?
Duck: GBU Redux
America: Via Glorioso aka semi autobio?

Of his own personal fav of his was it West or America? It felt either of these assumed from reading the frayling book.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:07:53 AM by wind demon » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:59:11 AM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1379.0

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »

Apart from Vera Cruz being an influence for all Leoen films, I don't see any direct connection with FAFDM.

And Don Quixote? There are not even windmills in GBU and Wallach does not really look like Sancho Pansas mule ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 03:45:12 AM »

Apart from Vera Cruz being an influence for all Leoen films, I don't see any direct connection with FAFDM.

The connection with Vera Cruz is the relationship between a young gunslinger and an older one (who is also a former Confederate officer)

also in FAFDM, there is the connection with The Bravados, with the picture in the pocketwatch

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 05:23:13 AM »

The connection with Vera Cruz is the relationship between a young gunslinger and an older one (who is also a former Confederate officer)

Ok, but that's very vague, and doesn't make it a main influence. Especially as the characters of both films are rather different.

If you do it that way, you will find 1000 westerns which could have been an influence. Such arbitrary motives could also come from non-western genre films, comics or novels.

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »

GBU - Its a Mad Mad Mad World.

Treasure hunting movie plus the  beginning scene were a dying Smiler is passing on the secret.... Very much like Bill Carson.

Also I see influences from  The Bridge on the River Kwai....ie blowing up the bridge and  the prisoners of war from both films whistling in their marches.....

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:01:28 AM »

We did the "30 Westerns in Once Upon a Time in the West" thread and I think we may have touched upon Film references (not Just Westerns) used in GBU so let me add this obvious reference.

Tuco Gunsmith/Gunshop sequence - Came from a sequence in a James Cagney gangster film "The Public Enemy"

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM