Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:43:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Trouble in Little China (1986)  (Read 6263 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2004, 05:49:28 PM »

Love this movie, check it out if you haven't seen it.  Kurt Russel plays a John Wayne type to the hilt but without a clue to what is going on while his Chinese friend turns out to be the real hero, lol, its great for laughs. Sort of predates all the recent kungfu, samurai, and martial arts films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:07:23 AM »

I agree. I think Big Trouble is hilarious with a great performance by Kurt Russell as blow-hard trucker Jack Burton. Good fight scenes as well.

Bill Carson
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 03:41:55 PM »

Cool BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA! excellent movie. John Carpenter originally envisioned it as a western but then modernised it. it's a true classic and probably the last good movie Carpenter directed.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 11:21:02 AM »

Tremendous fun, but not Carpenters finest hour. That honour goes to the Carpenter film with an excellent Morricone score.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 11:38:33 AM »

Very Cool, he was way ahead of the curve on appreciating post Bruce Hong Kong Kung Fu flicks.

More feeling.
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:34:18 PM »

Cigar
This is a gem of a movie see it every time its on, another Kurt Russell I am a slob movie is the one with goldie Hawn where she gets amniesia falls off a ship and he takes her on as his wife to look after his nasty little brats, catch the scene where he cooks the kids tea its disgusting hahaha

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:20:18 PM »

yea that one is a good one too

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:17:38 AM »

I'm surprised... I know I love the film but i thought it was a guilty pleasure(it still is), i just didn't expect a lot of other people to love it... but i guess if it's gonna be anyway it's gonna be around here... haha, no offense, that is actually a compliment.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 09:11:04 AM »

Very entertaining film. The DVD comes with a great commentary with both Russell and Carpenter, almost as funny as the movie.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »

Yea that commentary was good!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 12:01:45 AM »

Carpenter has stated that many of his films are patterned after westerns such as ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, VAMPIRES and BIG TROUBLE.....BTW the movie bears little resemblance to"post Bruce Lee HK kung fu flicks"(Bruce films were not the first to get the ball rolling-Shaws classic KING BOXER aka 5 FINGERS OF DEATH was the first; Carpenter is aware of this fact as he mentions it on his commentary; all spag fans owe it to themselves to see this too as it is very spaghetti like and also stars Lo Lieh from STRANGER & THE GUNFIGHTER) and is more akin to the Wu Xia Pian films or Martial Chilvary movies that featured heroes and villains with somewhat superhuman powers and abilities. These films became VERY popular in the late 70s with the release of Shaws KILLER CLANS. This type of film was popular through the early 80s and was ressurrected in the 90s with the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA series starring Jet Li but didn't receive mainstream attention(similar to the 70s boom here)until teh release of CROUCHING TIGER....

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »

Got the DVD as a present a few days ago, don't know what was I thinking not to buy it myself. Not very original but highly entertaining. One of those movies that are perfect for growing up watching them.

8/10

I often asked myself whatever happened to Dennis Dun? He had a good roll from the late 80s to the early 90s with a couple entertaining flicks and became somewhat of a fans favorite, often playing this ''little cowardish but witty Oriental character'', and then he suddenly disappeared from the scene. I know he was in a few other things later, as says IMDB, but unfortunately (or not?) I haven't seen any of those.

(I'm not saying he was a great actor, but he had a unique charm and presence. I'm sure most people will agree with that.)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

Got the DVD as a present a few days ago, don't know what was I thinking not to buy it myself.
What the Hey?? The Blu-ray comes out this summer!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »

Nah, I'll wait for the SHER.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »

I had to edit this post from a couple years ago. This gets better with every view, such a fun movie.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:48:41 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM