Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:57:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  R4 dvd review
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R4 dvd review  (Read 1995 times)
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:18:04 AM »

FOD has just been released in Australia on dvd and I've just watched it...

Let's see, the good news, picture and sound quality is very good, certainly the best looking version of the film that I've seen, and better than the Japanese version. The sound seems to be mixed a bit better, as some of Coburn's lines in my other versions were very low but in this one they are much more audible. It has the Mao quote at the head, all the extra scenes and additions to scenes I have seen in the other cuts as well.

Bad news... no special features on the dvd apart from a trailer, but the really bad news is NO final flashback! Not at all! Coburn smokes his cigarette, then Steiger turns, shouts 'No' (or 'John!') and Coburn blows up. No flashback, then a freeze frame on Steiger, no 'what about me' line and then the credits scroll up. Most disappointing. I can't for the life of me imagine why the flashback is not there and it severly weakens the ending of the film...

Oh well, it only cost $14.00 and in every other respect it's pretty good. I suspect it is the same version that was released in Europe six or so months ago... maybe even taken from the same master as the old NTSC laser disc.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 02:56:43 AM »

sounds like its the same as the UK version ive got, i wish id seen the final flashback too

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM