Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:25:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  De Niro Last Smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: De Niro Last Smile  (Read 36185 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 12:35:16 AM »

my personal opinion on why leone did it was because he wanted a shot of de niro through the mesh or whatever it is... and the smiling does the shot more justice than if he were not smiling... and we all know leone loved to leave you with a big "WHY" in your head... anyhow... its that simple to me.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 12:36:02 AM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 06:01:12 PM »

My idea is that Leone is saying through De Niro: "Man, Cinema is the best damn magic lantern show around!"

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 08:23:41 AM »

hello everyone, i've been away for a while, but now i'm back. He smiles at the end because he is stoned. its a smile but is not a smile of happiness, it may be a moment of contentness in a life that has become extremely fraught. he has a second of being at ease from the first hit/buzz. imagine  having to grass your friends up for their benefit is bad enough to save them from a meglamaniac friend who has lost all sense of friendship really, then finding out you've inadvertantly got them killed, that ain't no "smile", its an involuntary rreaction, even a nervous smile.

I have a problem when talking about the film, i'm finding it hard to seperate the film ouatia fromthe hoods, the book the film was taken from. has anyone else read this version?

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »

"The hoods " may be in Christopher Frayling book. Unless it was an outline.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:28:13 AM by Dlanor » Logged
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 06:14:55 PM »

yeah... it's an outline

guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 06:27:31 AM »

no the hoods is written by Harry Grey. It is the book the film was taken from. Crown publishers 1954, Harry Grey is noodles. Look on www.abebooks.com if you'd like to see copies of the book. Grey helped leone on the script.

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 10:54:55 AM »

i was just saying that the insert dlanor was talking of was just an outline... and i'd love to read the hoods sometime... and harry grey isn't really noodles... as far as i know he may be the character but the story is completely fictional... obviously drawing on his experiences for inspiration

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »

I'm looking for that legendary author Ray Freakling, one distant relative of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers perhaps?  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 09:08:59 AM »

HE SMILES AT THE END BECAUSE HE GOT HIGH.  Cheesy

webhand
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 10:20:42 AM »

hello everyone, I''m a friend of BILL CARSON and very priveliged to have found this site. What I would first like to say is that Sergio Leone was the greatest film maker of the last century. In short the last scene with the smile is clearly a reference to the begining of Noodles dream in his den. It''s a clear distinctive factor that the beginning is also the end, in a round about way. A semi-circle if you will, think about it...

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 07:50:46 PM »

When I saw it I always thought it was supposed to symbolize him having closure and leaving his bad past behind. The fact that they showed him as being young I always thought as symbolism for him being "Noodles the gangster" leaving his past behind and having closure and finally being able to continue life where he left off, which was a gangster in an opium den.

Remember when Leone supposedly said "Well, it started out in an opium den, you see..." and then the guy said "Don't tell me!"? Well maybe it wasn't a dream and it was to symbolize that he's moving on from his life where his guilt started rather than being oppressed all these years starting from that moment?

I always felt that it meant he had closure, whether there's more to it than that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »

Remember when Leone supposedly said "Well, it started out in an opium den, you see..." and then the guy said "Don't tell me!"? Well maybe it wasn't a dream and it was to symbolize that he's moving on from his life where his guilt started rather than being oppressed all these years starting from that moment?

Works for me.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 09:26:51 PM »

He was able to face Deborah after all those years, find out he wasn't entirely(Or at all) guilty of the bank heist killings, found out the mysteries of his past, and as he watched the garbage truck go away, so did the burden and oppression that he suffered all those years. Cool

cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2005, 10:41:08 AM »

Could work if we actually seen the Old Noodle at the end, but the end of the movie Stands when he smilles in the 30's

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 10:01:49 PM »

It works with the '33 Noodles as well. Leone is using the scene as *commentary* on the end-state of his character (he may be using the scene for other reasons as well). The fact that Noodles got buzzed in an opium den Once Upon a Time isn't exactly an important detail, and its placement at the very end of the film must therefore carry some kind of thematic resonance. The idea that an image from '33 can comment on matters in '68 is therefore a good one, consistent with the virtuoso filmmaking that SL is known for.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM