Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 24, 2022, 12:05:50 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  De Niro Last Smile
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
: De Niro Last Smile  ( 52338 )
Juan
Road Apple

« #30 : April 05, 2005, 03:02:32 PM »

I always thought of it as making us think of the possibility of the whole film beeing nothing but a dream.

Hakan karakan
Road Apple

« #31 : April 05, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »

i think sergio leone want doing say this message , at the end of the robert deniro smiling at film...
he want to say life is only dream life is  only joking life is only love life is only nothing ....... this very great ending i think... sergio leone is the best!! anybady agree me?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #32 : April 05, 2005, 04:16:54 PM »

we all agree  ;D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #33 : April 07, 2005, 03:26:38 AM »

I think it is the fact that so much remains unanswered by the end of this film that it is so appealling.  Very anti-hollywood, where the viewer is generally spoonfed.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #34 : April 08, 2005, 09:47:02 AM »

First time I saw this film, a while back now, I believed at the end the events were real and I still hold that belief.. Perhaps he's smiling because in his naive, drug addled mind he feels he can get Deborah back now that Max is going to go to prison (Or infact fake his own death) and that everything is going to be alright. To be honest we don't know what happened when Noodles leaves NY so he could spend his time drifting around America or generally having a bad time. Its probably a projection of the enigmatic qualities that Noodles character has. (Now I sound like I'm a rambling idiot  ;D ) I hope you get some understanding from this  :D

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #35 : April 11, 2005, 03:34:31 AM »

At the end of a smile
there's a laugh and a half

JoeH
Road Apple

« #36 : April 11, 2005, 10:50:53 AM »

Yeah, but maybe he wanted to tell us that the whole story WAS just a dream...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #37 : April 11, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »

Hey JoeH you need Gian Maria Volonte in your signature line up  ;D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
JoeH
Road Apple

« #38 : April 16, 2005, 11:33:10 AM »

We'll see :P

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #39 : May 15, 2005, 07:32:06 PM »

I just realized: the enigmatic smile at the end means Happiness is Keeping Your Head Down! Thirty-five years of going to bed early is bliss.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
iceman
Bounty Killer

« #40 : May 21, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »

Has De Niro ever commented on the film and gave us his views on this topic??

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
DJASh
Chicken Thief

« #41 : May 23, 2005, 12:02:54 PM »

I think the smile is meant to show a yearning in Noodles for a return to the simpler, happier times of his youth. Noodles was nothing much more than a street punk, and his happiest times were the uncomplicated, non politicised and in a way more  innocent early days of the gang. I think this is also why Noodles likes to retreat into the reassuring dreams of the opium den.

Revelation
Road Apple

« #42 : May 23, 2005, 01:36:22 PM »

Perhaps because Noodles has this revelatory experience of finally understanding at the end what has gone on, that despite his life ending up in the relative wilderness, he is free of guilt; he was not after all responsible for the deaths of his friends, he has not ended up the monster that is Max/Senator Bailey and so he achieves some peace.

Hence the final scene of that broad, broad grin, an expression Noodles does not manage in the whole film.  Who grins like that at the end of film other than Noodles? Noodles, that is, who loses everything in his life to gain peace of mind at the end.  His life is a reversal of Max's, surely, because Max gains 'everything' in his life only to lose his soul, for want of a better expression, at the close of the story.  The film is a morality tale writ large and therefore it is perhaps appropriate that Noodles, realising how the lives of his friends have turned out, has the last laugh, or rather the last smile, and boy what a smile. Way ya go Noodles, way ya go.

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #43 : May 24, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »

Perhaps because Noodles has this revelatory experience of finally understanding at the end what has gone on, that despite his life ending up in the relative wilderness, he is free of guilt; he was not after all responsible for the deaths of his friends, he has not ended up the monster that is Max/Senator Bailey and so he achieves some peace.

Hence the final scene of that broad, broad grin, an expression Noodles does not manage in the whole film.  Who grins like that at the end of film other than Noodles? Noodles, that is, who loses everything in his life to gain peace of mind at the end.  His life is a reversal of Max's, surely, because Max gains 'everything' in his life only to lose his soul, for want of a better expression, at the close of the story.  The film is a morality tale writ large and therefore it is perhaps appropriate that Noodles, realising how the lives of his friends have turned out, has the last laugh, or rather the last smile, and boy what a smile. Way ya go Noodles, way ya go.

Isnt it the younger Noodles that smiles...not the "1968" Noodles???

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Revelation
Road Apple

« #44 : May 24, 2005, 01:49:21 PM »

Yep, it is the younger Noodles that smiles at the end and I can see why this play on time can throw what I have said into question.  But the explanation of Noodles having the final laugh because, out of the main characters, he is the wisest seems to justify his final smile. He is the only one to have a reason for smiling at the end; he was not responsible for the deaths of his friends and he has not turned into the monster that is Max, a fate that surely could have befallen Noodles too.

So why did Leone then shoot Noodles as his younger self? Could it be that he already had this footage, shot in the early stages of the making of the film before de Niro put on weight?  And Leone just thought what the hell, I'll use this footage and people can interpret what they will. So much of the film is set in the youth or pre-middle age of these characters' lives it would be a pity to end in the declining years of Noodles' life.  The end then regains a sense of youth, of hope; all is by no means lost for Noodles and, hey, at the same time Leone throws out an opportunity for people like me to scribble on a message board like this.  I'm glad he used the early Noodles to finish off.

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines