Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:18:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Convoy (1978)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Convoy (1978)  (Read 10276 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 07:16:43 AM »

Yes, that's right. But how am I gonna do this? I tried years ago but it was just a waste of time.
Then again I don't care anymore really - the die hard fans realize anyway and the others don't care much...
It is because I use the title PASSION & POETRY every time (due to legal reasons).
Can't you add a subtitle with each installment? "PASSION & POETRY: Episode IV: A New Hope." Something like that? I guess I realized that you keep expanding the whole thing, but I'm getting old and I need to be reminded of things constantly. Anyway, I'm glad the Convoy material has been beefed up: that certainly makes the whole Blu-ray package more appealing.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »

I watched the new BD recently and it got me thinking...

With Peckinpah regulars Garth Craven and Tony Lawson as the (original) editors, and Peckinpah having managed to make Cross of Iron (one of his very best IMO) under similarly bad personal (and external) circumstances, it's amazing how little Convoy actually looks like a Sam Peckinpah film.

What I hadn't fully grasped until listening to the remarks by Executive Producer Michael Deeley on the extra features was the extent to which this was taken away from Peckinpah. Essentially Peckinpah made his cut with Craven and Lawson; this cut was then ignored and the whole thing was then completely cut afresh by John Wright with no involvement from Peckinpah. Aside from one particularly telling scene early on (when the cop who has pulled over Kristofferson closes his folder as we see Ali MacGraw speed off) which must have remained from the original Craven/Lawson "Peckinpah cut", this certainly seems to have been the case. No wonder Peckinpah seems to have basically disowned it.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:20 AM »

Can't you add a subtitle with each installment? "PASSION & POETRY: Episode IV: A New Hope." Something like that? I guess I realized that you keep expanding the whole thing, but I'm getting old and I need to be reminded of things constantly.

Should have met you 8 years ago Smiley
No, by now it's too late. Next to the main attraction, my DVD box set PASSION & POETRY, I covered six
of Sam's films by now and I'm afraid CONVOY is the 'last chapter'. Since the other titles are owned by
studios. So far I released over 12 hours of Peckinpah docs and supplements on 7 BD's & DVD's. Maybe that's enough.

With Peckinpah regulars Garth Craven and Tony Lawson as the (original) editors, and Peckinpah having managed to make Cross of Iron (one of his very best IMO) under similarly bad personal (and external) circumstances, it's amazing how little Convoy actually looks like a Sam Peckinpah film.

What I hadn't fully grasped until listening to the remarks by Executive Producer Michael Deeley on the extra features was the extent to which this was taken away from Peckinpah. Essentially Peckinpah made his cut with Craven and Lawson; this cut was then ignored and the whole thing was then completely cut afresh by John Wright with no involvement from Peckinpah.  

Well, that's why I wanted to make this long documentary. The quality of CONVOY surely doesn't derserve a 70 min. long film (I'd rather make such a long piece on WILD BUNCH), but the circumstances of its production are important enough to justify it. Since it was promoted heavily as A SAM PECKINPAH FILM, most people of course think it is 'his' film and therefore the best he could have delivered that year. OK the film was doomed from the start thanks to an awful script (I read it) but he improved it a lot and his cut surely showed a lot of his beloved 'little moments' and details. All history. I always had a little weak spot for the film since it was my first Sam film, back in 1978 when I was 11. What I still like about it is the same I felt 35 years ago. He visual style is so much better than what was common at this time. Entertaining films like SMOKEY or GUMBALL RALLY just don't have this power, quality and energy. Even when he was stoned he delivered better and more timeless work than most of the others.
As for CROSS OF IRON, that's a different story. That's A SAM PECKINPAH FILM, except for the very ending, when they took away the camera from him (don't blame them after 90+ shooting days) it is 100% his film & cut. MIchael Deeley wasn't in the business to make 'director's films', read his book! It is a good read..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »

I remember trying to watch this a while back and lost interest pretty early. I should make another go at it.
I do seem to recall liking it when I was a kid.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »

Mike Siegel documentary in da house! Afro

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

Yes, that's right. But how am I gonna do this? I tried years ago but it was just a waste of time.
Then again I don't care anymore really - the die hard fans realize anyway and the others don't care much...
It is because I use the title PASSION & POETRY every time (due to legal reasons). Then again, how could a
70 minute doc on CONVOY be taken from the 115 min long feature PASSION & POETRY - THE BALLAD OF SAM
PECKINPAH? There you see nobody thinks about these things for more than 7 seconds. That wouldn't make
sense at all. To dedicate 70 min. to CONVOY and 45 minutes to all his other life & work Smiley.
Also I already produced supplements for 6 Sam films (Companions, Dundee, Dogs, Killer, Cross,Convoy).
Together those docs have a running time of 4 hours, without the many little featurettes I added for the releases of those films.
So they could hardly all be taken from a 115 min long film Smiley...

DVD Beaver review of The Killer Elite BD (I have a copy and can vouch for the subs being removable):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_60/the_killer_elite_blu-ray.htm

Once again the assumption is that Mike's supplementary doc come from his full length doc rather than being new Huh

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:46 AM »

DVD Beaver review of The Killer Elite BD (I have a copy and can vouch for the subs being removable):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_60/the_killer_elite_blu-ray.htm

Once again the assumption is that Mike's supplementary doc come from his full length doc rather than being new Huh
Yeah, I noticed that too. That's probably why it's taken me so long to figure out how things really are--stooopid reviewing!

Anyway, I ordered TKE BD. Apparently, there are 2 cuts of the film on it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »

Blu-ray.com suggests the new US release doesn't look as good as the UK transfer: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Convoy-Blu-ray/120269/#Review

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM