Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 06:26:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Solisti e Orchestre del Cinema Italiano
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solisti e Orchestre del Cinema Italiano  (Read 3768 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:19:44 AM »

I'm not sure who these guys are, but they seem to do good work. And when I heard about this:
http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28697/THE-DOLLARS-TRILOGY-COMPLETE-ORIGINAL-SCORES-4-CD/
I put my order in. It arrived and I went right to the GBU material--brilliant. The set is "product of Italy" but the booklet is entirely in English (go figure). Buy with confidence.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »

I listened to the samples on that link.  They're close, not bad.  I'm likely sticking with my home-made compilations I made from import CDs and bootlegs, I edited those and compiled how I want.  Like I listen to a 40-track GBU I made a few years ago, took me since 1968 to get what I really wanted !!!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »

It's not a question of one over the other. The scores I love I want multiple renditions of (I have 3 different performances of the score for Vertigo). This new Dollars set gives me alternate performances of the OST material. I'm very happy to have that.

Shadow
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:02:34 AM »

I have the 4 cd set as well and it is just great. It so close to the originals and the sound quality is great also.
It really like they produced the soundtrack for GBU if it were shot today!! Recommened.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »

If the kids ask me what I'd like for Father's Day, I might request this, they never can figure out what I might like or don't have.

On the other hand, I do 99.9% of my listening while driving in my truck, and I've got my own two edited GBU CD and my Fistful/FDM/Big Gundown CDs, and my Once/West edited CD, all made from European CDs and bootlegs. 

Some come close to the originals, but nothing matches.  FDM is the toughest to find real Morricone, but the one I've got is the actual true "60 Seconds to What" track, final track, etc.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »

I do 99.9% of my listening while driving in my truck, and I've got my own two edited GBU CD and my Fistful/FDM/Big Gundown CDs, and my Once/West edited CD, all made from European CDs and bootlegs. 
CDs? What about your 8-Track tapes? I thought your old deck still worked just fine!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »

Yeah, for GBU and FOD you can find the original scores pretty easily; FAFDM is difficult (assuming you don't want to pay a shitload of money for rare copies on Amazon.) You can find most of the important music from FAFDM on a BMG cd compilation of Morricone music  (I'll try to find the name). Recently, the original score showed up on iTunes but I am not sure if it's the full one or just a few tracks. I do have the full score now, courtesy of a generous member of the SLWB who shall remain anonymous unless he chooses to out himself.

One track that has never been released to my knowledge is the music from the bar in Tucumcari. I found it on iTunes from another band; I am unaware of the original ever being available.

I generally don't like to hear versions of scores from other bands; I just want the Morricone stuff. There are exceptions, though. I like The City of Prague Philarmonic's versions of FOD and FAFDM on their cd of Western film music. I also love the version of OUATITW done in concert by Andre Reiu (Carla Mafioletti is the soprano) available on YouTube.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:04:30 AM »

Yeah, for GBU and FOD you can find the original scores pretty easily; FAFDM is difficult (assuming you don't want to pay a shitload of money for rare copies on Amazon.) You can find most of the important music from FAFDM on a BMG cd compilation of Morricone music  (I'll try to find the name). Recently, the original score showed up on iTunes but I am not sure if it's the full one or just a few tracks. I do have the full score now, courtesy of a generous member of the SLWB who shall remain anonymous unless he chooses to out himself.
The booklet for this new release contains this info:
Inexplicably, there has never been a proper release of the landmark soundtrack from [FAFDM]. It was published many times as a programme of 8 cuts, totaling a rough 17 minutes, coupled with a selection from [AFoD]. It later received a srtange CD release with additional music taken directly from the movie, including the sound effects, duplicated cues and track listing errors. There is probably no other example of an equally important score treated so poorly by the record industry.
I don't know if he's talking about what's been available to the English-speaking world, or about all releases including Italian ones. If the latter, than that's an amazing statement. I have the Italian CD that was released by GDM in 2003. It has 20 cues from the feature, plus as a bonus the A and B sides of the single "Eye For an Eye." The new release has 33 cues, plus 3 alternate cues, plus the two tracks from the single. I was listening to it last night and it all sounded pretty good.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 07:09:47 AM »

I have the Italian CD that was released by GDM in 2003. It has 20 cues from the feature, plus as a bonus the A and B sides of the single "Eye For an Eye." The new release has 33 cues, plus 3 alternate cues, plus the two tracks from the single. I was listening to it last night and it all sounded pretty good.

I have that one too, fine for me.

CDs? What about your 8-Track tapes? I thought your old deck still worked just fine!

My truck stereo (since like 2012) is a combination CD-cassette deck, single DIN size, by Sanyo, #FXCD 1100.  I bought it new through Amazon when the number remaining was exactly ONE.  I like it, and it has no trouble with home-recorded CDs either, think one user review was just from someone who had trouble with Nero or Roxio software.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »

The BMG cd with music from FAFDM is called THE LEGENDARY ITALIAN WESTERNS. It is a full disc of Morricone SW music, including those 8 tracks from FAFDM, plus tracks from other Leone and non-Leone SW's.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:33:39 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »

The booklet for this new release contains this info:I don't know if he's talking about what's been available to the English-speaking world, or about all releases including Italian ones. If the latter, than that's an amazing statement. I have the Italian CD that was released by GDM in 2003. It has 20 cues from the feature, plus as a bonus the A and B sides of the single "Eye For an Eye." The new release has 33 cues, plus 3 alternate cues, plus the two tracks from the single. I was listening to it last night and it all sounded pretty good.

maybe he's talking about the American releases.

There are many versions of FAFDM music available made by other bands, such as Solisti e Orchestre del Cinema Italiano. But I looked high and low for a disc of the original FAFDM score and couldn't find anything for years (besides those 8 tracks mentioned previously), until someone made me a copy of the 2003 GDM cd, which has 22 tracks.

Recently, an original FAFDM soundtrack has been made available for digital download with 12 tracks.

But as far as I know, no disc is available in America either on cd or on any digital-download site like iTunes or Amazon with the full 22 tracks of the GDM cd.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM