Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:10:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone and Tarantino
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone and Tarantino  (Read 16032 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »

Got the BAFTA.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »

For VD, Mrs. Cusser got me The Hateful Eight soundtrack CD (from Amazon).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »

Oops, then no star. One thing those Hollywood Star guys insist on is a personal appearance and ceremony (unless you're dead--but stars can only be awarded posthumously if the awardee has been gone for 5 years (I just looked this up)). You also have to come across with $30,000 dollars, which, I'm sure, the Weinstein organization has no problem with.

It's too bad, because there is a dearth of Walk-of-Fame Stars for practicing Italians. A few fence jumpers (Bertolucci, Anna Magnani) have 'em, very few others. I guess some kind of connection to Hollywood is required.

He'll be there:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6875516/ennio-morricone-hollywood-walk-of-fame-star

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 06:02:11 AM »

I think Morricone/Hateful Eight is considered the frontrunner in the Academy Award category for Best Original Score

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 08:12:38 AM »

I think Morricone/Hateful Eight is considered the frontrunner in the Academy Award category for Best Original Score

Would be the Maestro's first competitive Oscar. He got an honorary Oscar in 2007

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »

It seems like he has been nominated 6 times in the past - never for his work with Leone.

I can't believe he did not win for "The Mission" or for "Malena"...  Sad

Then again, there are so many times when I wonder why an Oscar was given to so and so in whatever category that I should probably stop thinking about such things.

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a783994/legendary-composer-ennio-morricone-says-there-will-be-another-tarantino-collaboration/

It looks like legendary film composer Ennio Morricone has a new project in the works - but he's keeping it close to the vest.

Ennio Morricone came out of semi-retirement for the Oscar-nominated score of Quentin Tarantino'sThe Hateful Eight - his first Western work in 35 years.

Speaking to Deadline, the 87-year-old musician revealed that another collaboration with Tarantino could be in the offing.

"Tarantino has already told me that there will be a next movie that we are going to make together," the composer hinted. "I told him that in the future I would like to have much more time.

"I would like to start working with him even long before in order to have the time to work, to think about the music, and also to exchange more ideas with him about what I am going to score for him.

"I never ask any director to work with me, but it was Tarantino who told me, 'OK, there will be a next time'."

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »

"Ennio Morricone came out of semi-retirement for the Oscar-nominated score of Quentin Tarantino'sThe Hateful Eight - his first Western work in 35 years..."

I wonder what they mean by semi-retirement? Over the last year or so, he has released three new scores - one for Tornatore, one for Christian Carion and this one for Tarantino. Is that not enough?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2016, 06:35:57 AM »

It seems like he has been nominated 6 times in the past - never for his work with Leone.

Yes, these things are political.  And would be tough to win for a "western" anyway, Hollywood stigma.  I believe a relatively large fee has to be paid to enter a choice in the nomination pool.  Apparently, I read somewhere because GBU played commercially in NYC and Los Angeles upon its restoration in 2004, it became again eligible, would've been nice to have it undergo the process to throw its hat in for Best Score, as I absolutely think it's the best example of film scoring in all of film history.  Just the Ecstasy of Gold sequence alone might be the best example of scoring, then the Trio gunfight, amazing, all timed to the score.  Throw in Father Ramirez and another half dozen original pieces, plus the GBU title track, you've got it all.

So I hope Morricone wins for Hateful Eight, would really be an honor.  I have the soundtrack CD and edited out the tracks with dialog, Quentin must be in love with his own writing to get those included.

So I still think the Academy blew it when Ennio got the Lifetime Award by not showing the entire Ecstasy of Gold sequence on the big screen before they introduced him.  But 3.5 minutes is too long for today's younger audiences.  Me - I would've showed that AND the 3-way gunfight - too many only think of the GBU title track.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »

So I still think the Academy blew it when Ennio got the Lifetime Award by not showing the entire Ecstasy of Gold sequence on the big screen before they introduced him.  But 3.5 minutes is too long for today's younger audiences.  Me - I would've showed that AND the 3-way gunfight - too many only think of the GBU title track.

Peter Bogdanovich wrote in one of his books about how when the Academy gave the lifetime achievement award to Charlie Chaplin in 1972, Bogdanovich put together the video that played before Chaplin was presented with the award. Bogdanovich's video was 13 minutes long - including the 4-minute unedited sequence from The Kid in which the Tramp runs over the rooftops to get back the kid after he is taken away by the cops. Of course, the Academy/TV people complained about such a long video being shown on live TV, but Bogdanovich fought like hell and his full video was ultimately shown.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »

"Maybe the next time" said the Academy each time to Morricone.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »

Over there:

http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/oscar-2016/oscar-il-maestro-morricone-arriva-a-la/230119/229517?ref=HRESS-1

Milan NS
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »

Here's a longer vid. Check out all those eBay douchebags crowding him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlSZAEyWFwQ

Milan NS
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »

I was watching the pictures of the 12 italian stars of the walk of fame and read "Annunzio Paolo Mantovani". "Who's that?" I thought. Then I realized that it was probably the orchestra director (I've read his family  name many times but never heard a single tune by him): very famous. Abroad. Here I never heard his name a single time in my life. Then I thought about the ones who are not in the walk of fame and I still think Morricone would be better off without the star and the Oscar.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM