Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 09:37:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU IB tech screening at The New Beverly Cinema in LA!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU IB tech screening at The New Beverly Cinema in LA!  (Read 9841 times)
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »

No promises. I hear it's good.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »

I'm at LAX. Less than 6 hours til showtime!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »

Awaiting your report!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »

Simply awesome!

After a whirlwind 24h trip (and a 2h nap after getting home) I can now report back and say that was a truly remarkable experience on every level. Without going into too much detail about the image - since I'm going to reserve that info for the inevitable release of our project - it's clear to me that no home release has been truly faithful to the projected image of an IB tech. Some releases are closer to what I saw than others.

As for the experience, it was a real treat. The house was near full and crowd very enthusiastic. The presentation kicked off with an old Coca-Cola/concession stand snipe (can't find it on youtube) followed by an IB tech print of Chip N Dale's "The Lone Chipmunks":

https://youtu.be/CuKpmMKRx-o

The trailers were preceded by "Prevues of Coming Attractions" Astro-dater:

https://youtu.be/B1Qnaw_bnWc

List of trailers:

The Last Days of Pompeii (IB tech)
Colossus of Rhodes (faded red)
For A Few Dollars More (IB tech)
Once Upon A Time in the West (IB tech)
Duck, You Sucker (faded red)
Once Upon A Time in America (unfaded)

"Our Feature Presentation" Astro-dater:

https://youtu.be/D0v7dNp5v0A

The IB tech print was in good condition overall but not pristine. There were lines and scratches throughout the film, especially near the heads and tails of each reel. I counted only 3-4 small splices. It was a real treat!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:30:33 AM by Lil Brutto » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

Thanks for the report! Sounds like a great trip!

I know you don't want to share too many details about the print, but may I ask how it compares to the IB Tech print you purchased; and which version was it, the longer Italian one or the shorter American one? Which version of the beating scene, and did they have the Cave scene? Finally, I assume they had original mono audio - how did it sound?
Thanks Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 12:58:17 AM »

This is the International Cut that was released in US theaters back in 1967, which is the shorter 161 minute version. No cave scene. Same verson of the beating scene as the MGM DVDs and BDs that have been released over the years.

I can't really comment on how my IB tech compares just yet because we aren't at that stage yet. The 4K scans have far more image information than our computer screens and TVs are capable of displaying so the scans have to be "scaled" in order to view all the details contained on our standard monitors. We are about to begin this processing phase now.

The IB tech prints have a glorious mono track with all the snaps, crackles and pops that were common during that era. I could hear them all; they complemented the blemishes of the project image of this nearly 50 year old print perfectly. Overall, it sounded great. It wasn't hollow sounding or anything. The gun shots and cannon blasts were robust. The dialogue was clear. Sounded great.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 02:10:45 AM »

I'm looking forward to my screening tomorrow night (actually tonight). Glad to hear its going to be worth it.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »

Doors open approx. an hour before showtime. People began to line up before 6PM but there were only 10 or so people who showed up that early. If you're not too bothered about sitting in the absolute best seat then you can show up around 630-645 and still get a great seat.

Enjoy!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 01:51:24 PM »

Arrived LAX and made my way to my hotel. The bus system is daunting but the drivers are polite and know their shit and I was able to get directions quickly. There was only one transfer once I got into the system, and in 90 minutes I was at my hotel. Too early to check in, though, so I walked over to the theater to see what I could see. The new calendar was out--FAFDM is the next film on the program! And it's another IB Tech print. I kinda wish I'd known about this, I could have conceivably scheduled my trip so that I'd watch GBU Aug. 1, and then see FAFDM on the 2nd (I'm not sure I really would have done this, but it's interesting to imagine). AFOD is also coming, at the end of the month, which is ALSO an IB Tech. This place rocks! There are even authentic posters of Spaghettis in the lobby.

(Drink, this neighborhood is Jew paradise. Every eatery, kosher this and kosher that. As I write this I'm sitting at a place called The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and I just had a blueberry/pomegranate smoothie (no sugar added) that was the greatest thing I've ever tasted.)

Lil Brutto, thanks for the tip. I think I will show up plenty early and get the best seat I can. I'm really, really looking forward to the program.

Hmm, but right now I think I'm gonna have a second smoothie . . .

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »

I killed time at the Starbucks across the street since there was wifi. Once I saw a couple waiting around I headed over. The screen isn't very big so you'll probably opt for a seat near the front.

Man, those posters are beautiful and they're authentic too. Lots of $$$. The poster of Gian Maria Volonte is listed for 640 EUR on ebay.it:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/PER-QUALCHE-DOLLARO-IN-PIu-manifesto-poster-Sergio-Leone-Gian-Maria-Volonte-/231389767808

The French GBU poster goes for big bucks too. There's a huge Navajo Joe poster on the back wall of the theater.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 08:08:33 PM »

(Drink, this neighborhood is Jew paradise. Every eatery, kosher this and kosher that. As I write this I'm sitting at a place called The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and I just had a blueberry/pomegranate smoothie (no sugar added) that was the greatest thing I've ever tasted.)

Grin

but the most important question is, have you seen any little Deborahs?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 12:28:55 AM »

I can't add much to what Lil Brutto has said about the experience. I took his advice and got there early and sat in the very front row. One thing not mentioned before: during the hour leading up to showtime the theater played songs from various Spaghettis, not incidental music, but the theme songs which in most cases get sung during the opening credits. It was kind of fun to hear them, or it would have been, except that the audience, as they arrived, tended to talk over everything.

A few other remarks:

List of trailers:

The Last Days of Pompeii (IB tech)
Colossus of Rhodes (faded red)
For A Few Dollars More (IB tech)
Once Upon A Time in the West (IB tech)
Duck, You Sucker (faded red)
Once Upon A Time in the West (unfaded)
I think for the second OUATITW above, LB, you really meant OUATIA. Some of these trailers were hilarious (because the voice-overs tended to misrepresent things). Colossus of Rhodes was particularly funny (did you realize there was an orgy in that?). The trailer for West had a bit I wasn't sure I'd seen before, where the narrator assigns titles to the characters: The Widow, The Business Man, The Outlaw, The Man in Search of a Name (something like that).
The IB tech print was in good condition overall but not pristine. There were lines and scratches throughout the film, especially near the heads and tails of each reel. I counted only 3-4 small splices. It was a real treat!
There were more splices than that, but because they rarely interfered with the audio, they were easy to miss.

The color was fabulous. Now I understand what the film should look like. It's not piss-yellow that should overlay everything. The dominant color throughout the film is gold. Everything seems to glow with an inner light. The color scheme should be warm earth tones.

This has been a great experience (and I realized today that this is my first time back in LA in 21 years). I'll have to watch this theater for fun events in the future.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the SW music, which helped set the mood. And I meant to say OUATIA not OUATIW for the last trailer. I corrected my post above. Haha, the whole place was laughing when the narrator said "hall of orgies". Is Rhodes X rated?

There were probably more but the 3-4 splices I noticed were the more obvious ones, such as "bashful" being cut out when AE says, "Don't be bashful" to Tuco just before the torture scene.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the SW music, which helped set the mood. And I meant to say OUATIA not OUATIW for the last trailer. I corrected my post above. Haha, the whole place was laughing when the narrator said "hall of orgies". Is Rhodes X rated?
What was especially funny was that the scene shown while the narrator intones is one in which something like gymnastics is being performed. Yeah, at last night's showing that comment really brought down the house.

In fact, it was interesting watching the film itself with a crowd that was really into it. A few years ago I saw the DCP of the 2002 cut with a large audience of typical cinema goers (at Film Forum in NY). They laughed a lot--but it was nothing like what I witnessed with last night's audience. People thought everything was funny. There was one group who laughed every time Tuco crossed himself (and he does it a lot). I can see laughing the first time--but really, the joke never gets old?

Maybe all the laughter altered my frame of reference, but last night I was particularly struck with just how cynical the film is. It's probably more cynical than any other film ever made. And yet, it's my favorite film. I value it more than LoA or AMFAS, even though those films strongly advocate for a certain nobility of spirit. But GBU has no high purpose. It's more than mere entertainment--it has something to say about the human condition--but I'm not sure what it has to say is correct. Hmm, I'll have to drink about this some . . .

Oh, Drink, you should never watch this film again. With all the laughter I heard last night, I have to conclude that the film is a comedy. Better keep your distance.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM