Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:39:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Film Locations (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The arch in monument valley is falling further apart
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The arch in monument valley is falling further apart  (Read 8410 times)
Shadow
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:05:17 AM »

Last week I again visited the arch of OUATITW in monument valley. In comparison to my last visit tjree years ago, the remains of the arch have deteriorated some more. Three years ago, there was still some wood stcking out of one of the bases that once supported the upper structure. That wood was now gone, with only the two stone bases remaing. So, although there is still plenty of remains to see, it is certainly in a worse condition then it was a few years ago..... If you still have this on your bucketlist, don't wait for many more years......

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »

Sad, I saw it about 8 years ago, took photos, played the music loud, wrote about it here.  I'm in Arizona, would've visited it decades ago had I known where it was; there is conjecture/report that the enter part was styrafoam, and I tend to believe that since there are no fallen rocks in the center, and no one would've cleaned those up.

And there was trash and broken beer bottles, too bad.  All the books at Goulding's Lodge about films made in Monument Valley: none mentioned Once Upon a Time in the West.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »

Sad, I saw it about 8 years ago, took photos, played the music loud, wrote about it here.  I'm in Arizona, would've visited it decades ago had I known where it was; there is conjecture/report that the enter part was styrafoam, and I tend to believe that since there are no fallen rocks in the center, and no one would've cleaned those up.

And there was trash and broken beer bottles, too bad.  All the books at Goulding's Lodge about films made in Monument Valley: none mentioned Once Upon a Time in the West.

I had a great time there about 6 years ago.

I remember asking everybody there where the damn arch was and no one had a clue. Nobody had ever heard of OUATITW anyway. The thing is if we succeeded in raising awareness among locals, they would protect it but turn it into a touristic spot that you have to pay to see, just like they do with most of the interesting stuff in Monument Valley.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »

So I went back to Monument Valley (among other parks in Nevada/Utah/Arizona) last week and saw the arch for the second time. I took some videos, including drones shots. I'm not sure what to do with them yet. I'll post a few pictures here very soon.
I rode a horse in Monument Valley, as I always do there, and this time the Navajo guide showed us the place where the last Indian is killed in The Searchers (when you don't know if Wayne is going to kill her or not). The dune and the tree are still there.
We also went to Dead Horse Point State Park, near Canyonlands National Park. If I'm not mistaken, the last scene of Thelma & Louise was shot there (disguised as the Grand Canyon) as well as the less memorable opening of Mission: Impossible 2.

American members, what a country you live in.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:10:04 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »

So I went back to Monument Valley (among other parks in Nevada/Utah/Arizona) last week and saw the arch for the second time. I took some videos, including drones shots. I'm not sure what to do with them yet. I'll post a few pictures here very soon.
I rode a horse in Monument Valley, as I always do there, and this time the Navajo guide showed us the place where the last Indian is killed in The Searchers (when you don't know if Wayne is going to kill her or not). The dune and the tree are still there.
We also went to Dead Horse Point State Park, near Canyonlands National Park. If I'm not mistaken, the last scene of Thelma & Louise was shot there (disguised as the Grand Canyon) as well as the less memorable opening of Mission: Impossible 2.

Did you see Firecracker?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:21 AM »

So yeah, I saw Firecracker and Sony, and even had them play a part in the commercial I was shooting there. We shot a scene on the Santa Monica Pier with them, and then we had dinner, with them and my crew. Nice evening!

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »

I eagerly await your pics/vids  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »

The distance from us in New York to Monument Valley is more than twice the distance from you in Paris to Almeria. So, you're rght, mon ami, we live in a great country, but not because of Leone Western locations. (If you're discussing OUATIA, that's a different story  Wink )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »

The distance from us in New York to Monument Valley is more than twice the distance from you in Paris to Almeria. So, you're rght, mon ami, we live in a great country, but not because of Leone Western locations. (If you're discussing OUATIA, that's a different story  Wink )

Yeah yeah and the distance between Terlingua and Washington is greater that the one between Paris and Moscow Wink

Anyway, here is one of the drone shots I did of the arch the other day. Please don't share it, it's very raw, the color correction isn't good, and I haven't even cleared the rights yet (they're shot with a drone that belong to a production company, that I had with me to shoot a movie I have a contract for). Anyway, here is the link so you guys can see what's left of the arch as well as its surroundings:

https://vimeo.com/227181638
Password: ouatitw

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:14:26 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »

Way cool!  Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro

What's with the piss-yellow color grading? (Hah! Kidding! Just kidding!)

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »

Yeah yeah and the distance between Terlingua and Washington is greater that the one between Paris and Moscow Wink

Anyway, here is one of the drone shots I did of the arch the other day. Please don't share it, it's very raw, the color correction isn't good, and I haven't even cleared the rights yet (they're shot with a drone that belong to a production company, that I had with me to shoot a movie I have a contract for). Anyway, here is the link so you guys can see what's left of the arch as well as its surroundings:

Nice arch vid  Afro

Can you hitch a ride on a drone? Looks like it'd be fun  Wink

That multi-colored underwear is ugly. Nice model, nice camerawork, nice video, but ugly underwear.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »

Very nice  Afro Afro Afro

Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »

That video was awesome!  The quality looks great and I love the zoom out to see how vast that land really is.  Funny thing is, me and my wife actually drove right by this when we moved from NH to CA.  We drove through Mexican Hat and on through Monument Valley and onward towards Page, AZ. This is before I had ever heard of OUTIW, so I would have never known about this arch at the time.  We actually ran into a fierce sand storm going through Monument Valley. Between Mexican Hat and Monument Valley, the air gradually got more and more red.  Eventually it got so thick, it kind of reminded me of driving through white-out blizzard conditions in NH only with red sand instead of snow.   It sand blasted our car and we never even saw any of the great "mitten" buttes.  We thought we were gonna die in this storm at times.

Here is a picture I caught of the storm rolling in on us just as we were driving out.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/usaviator/23115070440/in/album-72157661698069981/lightbox/

~Ive been all over the entire universe to find you~
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:10 AM »

That video was awesome!  The quality looks great and I love the zoom out to see how vast that land really is.  Funny thing is, me and my wife actually drove right by this when we moved from NH to CA.  We drove through Mexican Hat and on through Monument Valley and onward towards Page, AZ. This is before I had ever heard of OUTIW, so I would have never known about this arch at the time.  We actually ran into a fierce sand storm going through Monument Valley. Between Mexican Hat and Monument Valley, the air gradually got more and more red.  Eventually it got so thick, it kind of reminded me of driving through white-out blizzard conditions in NH only with red sand instead of snow.   It sand blasted our car and we never even saw any of the great "mitten" buttes.  We thought we were gonna die in this storm at times.

Here is a picture I caught of the storm rolling in on us just as we were driving out.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/usaviator/23115070440/in/album-72157661698069981/lightbox/

cool pic.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM